Major Wisconsin Archery Club Clearly Hates Crossbows!!!

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

wabi

Post by wabi »

Sometimes I think I’d like to see all states & provinces go to one year of
archery being what it was when the seasons were created. A stick & string
only! No letoff for reduced holding weight, and no mechanical releases
allowed! How many hunters would be out there then? These guys that scream loudest probably couldn’t even shoot a longbow!
Now before you get your feathers ruffled, and start a flame war, remember, I have hunted with a crossbow, compound, recurve, and longbow! I know from experience it all IS bowhunting. I’m just tired of these people who have never even tried to shoot the way it was when archery seasons were created telling everyone crossbows aren’t archery. Matter of fact, I’d consider a recurve crossbow more traditional than a high-tech compound vert bow!
wabi
buckeye

Post by buckeye »

you took the words right out of my mouth wabi
BUCKEYE

A man who makes no mistakes usually doesn't make anything at all.
Jim C

Post by Jim C »

that line about Ohio comes from the turds in the PBS. That is straight out of their lie filled propaganda on crossbows. The cult of the selfish again.

Maybe in the near future its people like the PBS who will be sitting around worrying if WE are going to LET them use their woundamatics in OUR Season or tell them to get out of it :D

after all, people who revel in MISSING and hate ACCURACY don't help the public image of BOWHUNTING :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
ExcalBeliever

Post by ExcalBeliever »

AMEN!!
Last edited by ExcalBeliever on Tue Jan 25, 2005 1:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BOB VANDRISH

Post by BOB VANDRISH »

How do the vertical bow guys get to have so much influence on the rest of the archers out there?
How did the muzzleoader and flintlock clan get their special seasons?
Right now,some of those "relic" reproductions can smoke the eye out of a deer at over 100 yards,and are more powerful than a 12 ga with sabot slugs.
That's called "primitive" hunting?
When I first started out deer hunting,I had a 12 ga with a full choke,and couldn't hit the broadside of a barn with a slug at 50 yards!
When you do the comparison,the effective range of a longbow,or recurve or compound is not much less than a crossbow,so what's the big deal?
If they want to be a "purist",let them shoot what they want,and let us shoot what we want.
I think the lobby against the crossbow is strictly a personal one,where "THEY" do not want us invading their territory.
It's a damn shame.
Just felt like foaming at the mouth over this topic!
Bob.
Bob Vandrish.
Woody Williams

Post by Woody Williams »

These state clubs are top driven. The mucky mucks pretty well do whatever they want and then say that is what everyone in the club wants.

Our state club got bit real bad when they endorsed a one buck rule.

Usually the anti-cross stance is a safe bet for them as they have brainwashed the bowhunters to get them to believe that they are better than any other hunter and head and shoulders above crossbowers.

So how does the legalization look there?
Woody Williams

We have met the enemy and he is us - Pogo Possum

Hunting in Indiana at [size=84][color=Red][b][url=http://huntingindiana.proboards52.com]HUNT-INDIANA[/url][/b][/color][/size]
ComfyBear

Post by ComfyBear »

They can hate crossbows all they want. I realized that there's are alot of people who're ignorant of the facts and in fact ignorant of life as a whole, so personally I couldn't care less
ComfyBear
Micro Axe 340, Matrix 380, Matrix 355, Matrix 350, Exocet 200
ComfyBear Strings
G5 Montecs 125gr., SlickTrick 125 gr. Magnums

To thine own self be true.
Remove thine mask Polonius.
Live thy truth, doth not be false to any man.
Jim C

Post by Jim C »

the biggest joke on bowsite was its owner Pat Lefemine saying that he welcomed debate on xbows. I was booted once over there for saying that four posters were engaged in a debating "circle jerk" that was apparently too obscene for those turkeys yet one well known moron by the name of Longhair called Willie and I As$h+++ and still posts there under his original name.

they are terrified when someone really calls them on their BS.

none of them have ever owned up to the fact that a main sponsor-the PBS LIES about xbows.
Pete

Post by Pete »

So if crossbows are legal (which they are) and if they are more effective than some other forms of archery (which they can be in the right hands)...so what!

Half the fun of archery is enjoying the differences in what people choose. Personally, my first passion is compound (with fingers and NO SIGHTS). Its pretty much traditional with a lot more pop.

So if the wildlife managers recognizes the effectiveness of crossbow, don't they adjust tags, seasons, additional tags etc etc to accomodate the increased harvest? Of course they do. If its 3D, then you're only competing against either yourself or the other crossbow guys anyways...again, so what.

I find it interesting that people get their knickers in a knot over the smallest things. If they have so much extra energy, why don't they go volunteer at a charity of their choice. I'm sure someone could benefit from it.

Pete
ExcalBeliever

Post by ExcalBeliever »

http://hunting.about.com/od/arch/l/aa020716a.htm

In a more recent news release, found on the Ohio DNR's Web site and dated March 6, 2000, the numbers still reflect an upward trend in crossbow kill, compared with that of other bows. The 1999 season numbers say that 16,940 deer were taken by use of crossbow, while longbow hunters archers took 12,364. They also state that "More deer have been taken during the archery season with crossbows compared to longbows each year since 1989."

This certainly indicates that crossbows are a highly efficient hunting tool, right? Well, maybe not. I can see how anyone looking at the first two sets of numbers above could believe that the crossbow is a deer-slaying tool of the highest order, but a closer look reveals that, in the case of the state of Ohio anyhow, that's just not true. More current information obtained from the Ohio Department of Wildlife (ODOW) for the year of 2001 says this:

"Of the 155,000 archery participants, 70,000 used a crossbow, 55,000 use a vertical bow and 30,000 used both. Of seniors who apply for and receive a free license, 4,000 used a crossbow, 1,000 used a vertical bow and 1,000 used both. Success rates for 2001 were identical for crossbow hunters and vertical bow hunters at 14%."

So true Jim C.

The anti-crossbow clan are ignorant when the facts are presented to them.

the biggest joke on bowsite was its owner Pat Lefemine saying that he welcomed debate on xbows

Yeah....and then Pat L. goes to Africa to shoot a leapord with a compound bow and somehow he is justified in that...yet the majority of the bowsiter's are anti-crossbow...

DOUBLE-STANDARD
aubie515

Post by aubie515 »

To me it's a matter of preference...I dislike hearing bowhunters saying that using a crossbow is cheating...why? Regardless of me using a bow, crossbow or even a rifle...I take pride in preparing before the season, so that if given the opportunity to harvest an animal, that I will make the right shot. I honestly feel that bowhunters complain so much because they have had an exclusive club for years and want to keep it that way. If they are so bent out of shape about crossbow users hunting in their season...perhaps a season dedicated to crossbows should be created. I have had so many kind responses on this site. I really enjoy this site and I look forward to buying my first excalibur.
Woody Williams

Post by Woody Williams »

Simplified hunting regulations sought

A 16-day gun deer season opening in mid-November and legalization of crossbows are among recommendations submitted by a committee of the Department of Natural Resources studying ways to improve deer management and simplify deer hunting regulations.

Before any of the proposals go to public hearings next fall, they will be presented to deer hunting organizations in the coming months, said Kurt Thiede, chairman of the department's Deer Streamlining Team.

"We will try to get out to user groups for comments," he said, "and to anyone who wants to sit down and look at these recommendations."
Not all proposals are expected to find public support and thus be enacted into law, he said.

"We're kind of throwing all the recommendations on the table, then we can pursue the ones that come to the top," he said.
The Streamlining Team, consisting of 18 DNR staff members and one member of the Wisconsin Conservation Congress, is putting forth a wide-ranging set of deer hunting rule change proposals, including;
u A 16-day gun deer season to start the Saturday nearest Nov. 15.
"This would improve the antlerless harvest" because the season would catch a greater portion of the rut when deer naturally are more active during daylight hours, Thiede said.

"If we offer more antlerless hunting opportunities, we would reduce the need for extra antlerless seasons" including the likelihood that earn-a-buck restrictions would be necessary.

Thiede pointed out that Minnesota began its 2004 gun deer season on Nov. 5, while Michigan annually opens its gun deer season on Nov. 15.

Previous attempts to establish an earlier start to the gun deer season have been opposed by a majority of hunters at spring hearings. Primary opponents have been bowhunters and gun hunters who prefer the traditional nine-day season encompassing Thanksgiving week.
u Legalize the use of crossbows for any hunter during the archery season. Currently, the state allows crossbows for people 65 and older or for those with a disability permit.

Thiede said about 10 states allow crossbow hunting for deer during the bow season. He said there does not appear to be a tactical advantage in using a crossbow when compared to modern archery equipment and the use of crossbows has not had an adverse impact on the deer resource in states where it is legal.

"It would simplify regulations and keep more bowhunters in the sport as they age," he said.

u Issue "species specific" tags for buck and antlerless deer to gun and bow hunters in management units where there is an overabundance of antlerless tags. A tag would be marked for bucks or antlerless deer in an effort to avoid confusion as to which tag should be applied.

"It would cut down on the number of tagging options," Thiede said. Currently, archers are given an either-sex tag, good for tagging a buck or antlerless deer, and gun hunters can obtain a hunter choice permit, good for tagging a buck or antlerless deer.

u Hold a four-day October T-Zone antlerless deer hunt starting the Thursday nearest Oct. 15, to placate bowhunters who claim the current late October date interferes with prime hunting opportunities during the pre-rut period.

u Hold a four-day December T-Zone antlerless deer hunt statewide starting the second Thursday after Thanksgiving. Currently the December hunt is limited to that area of the state south of Highway 8 in deference to opposition from snowmobilers and the northern tourism industry.

Thiede said the earliest any changes could be implemented would be the 2006 deer season
Woody Williams

We have met the enemy and he is us - Pogo Possum

Hunting in Indiana at [size=84][color=Red][b][url=http://huntingindiana.proboards52.com]HUNT-INDIANA[/url][/b][/color][/size]
Jim C

Post by Jim C »

hmmm-common sense is to crossbow haters as sunlight is to Count Dracula
Zeke

Post by Zeke »

wabi wrote:I have hunted with a crossbow, compound, recurve, and longbow! I know from experience it all IS bowhunting
You speak the truth wabi, durn right you do.

Sheesh - I'd love to get a deer with a longbow, or recurve, or Excal - heck, I like muzzleloaders too. Any time I can get in the woods with my friends and hunt, it is good - regardless of what method we're using... to me, it ain't about what method a person selects -as long as it's a clean kill and the meat doesn't go to waste.
Shakky

Post by Shakky »

The anti's must just love all this in-fighting.