New feeder idea

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

terry-1

New feeder idea

Post by terry-1 »

Well, I was out looking at a new large hunting lease today to maybe have another place to go besides my own small farm and one small urban area which I hunt at this time. While there looking around today one of the guys that has been on the lease for many years showed me his spot and I found his feeder design very interesting. He had the problem of his $200 corn spin feeders being carried off by theifs at night at his home place which he hunts still too it is next to a big river and alot of coon hunters run the area at night. In the past I have strung my feeders up in the air maybe 8-10ft and used a ladder to fill them hopeing anyone that came buy would not have a ladder or bring one back to steal the feeder. Seems to work I have never had one stolen that way. His idea was really smart. Here is how he did his feeders: He takes a 15,30 or 50gal steel drum and drills 2 or 3 holes in one side (bottom and top) and Lag bolts with big washers inside the drum to a tree about 8 ft high. He then uses a spinner unit with a WIRE CAGE on bottem Which you must have to keep the coons and criiters out of the spinner unit since it is reachable from the tree doing it this way.It's basiclly mounted like a tree stand flush agaist the tree. He uses a ladder to fill the feeders and has never had one taken since starting to build them this way. It also appears more natural to the game as they never notice the feeder up there as it is hidden from normall view. Overall it takes alittle more time setting one up but in return it takes more time to steal it too.You would need tools + a ladder which most theifs don't carry in there hunting bag. I think I will try a feeder or two that way this year myself I liked the look of the set-up.
Partikle

Post by Partikle »

Sounds like a great idea. Do you have any pictures? Do you know where can I buy a spinner unit to mount on the bottom of the pail?

Nick
mtbyak

Post by mtbyak »

Partikle,

I saw just the spinners at Bass Pro In Vaughn, do not remember the price tho :cry:

Shoot Straight
Kirk
A bad day hunting, is better then a good day of work
Partikle

Post by Partikle »

Thanks. Is the sprayer on a timer? How does it turn on?

Is this one?
http://www.basspro.com/servlet/catalog. ... rchResults
mdcrossbow

Post by mdcrossbow »

Thats how I do mine. but I didn't use a mesh at the bottom , good idea.
mtbyak

Post by mtbyak »

Yep, that looks like the same one if my memory serves me correct :oops:

They also had complete feeders that were on about a 5 gallon bucket there that would be easy to adapt the same way.

Shoot Straight
Kirk
A bad day hunting, is better then a good day of work