Broadhead analysis web site redesign. Opinions needed...

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

FlyingAce

Broadhead analysis web site redesign. Opinions needed...

Post by FlyingAce »

The following address is a data driven web page that attractively displays a broadhead analysis based on American-Hunter.com broadhead testing results. After noticing how inconsistent their analysis display is for each broadhead I decided to rearrange the information in a database that is more attractive, efficient, and user-friendly (http://jimmace.com/main/default.aspx?p=broad_test)

Lastly, I am in the process of creating the documentation for an unbiased and fair broadhead testing site especially for crossbows, for right now anyway. One of the problems with the American-Hunter.com information is that the constants (fletching style, shaft type and size, fletching length, and weapon draw weight) are not available to the reviewer. The tests that are used for the American-Hunter.com analysis can be found here (http://jimmace.com/main/criteria.htm). Are these tests ones that will give the reviewer a good solid idea on how well the broadhead performs? If not, in your opinion, what would be some better tests.

Thank you for your time and comments.
Jim Mace

"Success is how high you bounce when you hit bottom." Gen. George S. Patton

Flying Ace Enterprises Inc.
[url]http://www.flyingaceinc.com[/url]
ExcalBeliever

Post by ExcalBeliever »

Looks good,

Obviously THE BEST TEST is on live animals, but alas, we can't do that or at least I don't have the money nor the resources!!

I thought about this, take deer hides (I've got about 6 or 7 I've tanned over the years), re-hydrate them, stretch them across some king of bone to simulate ribs('course live ribs are not as hard as say a rib that has dried out), have some 10% Ballistic Gel, and then have the same ribs and hide on the other side.

I know that that one guy, 5 shot has his own test criterion, steel drum, plywood, etc. BUT, his test I believe are flawed when it comes to actually measuring a BH's worthiness on live game animals.

His test do have some merit in that they do test each BH RELATIVE to each other. that is, one BH penetrates wood vs. another.

It is all very interesting, but the final test comes done to us as hunters.

Good Luck.
PRB

Post by PRB »

I'll have to think awhile for an opinion for any improvements here. I will say congradulations on all the good work you've done. Good luck and keep up the good work. I've got it listed under my favorites list 8)
Life Is Too Short !!! Live For The Moment !!!
Shakky

Post by Shakky »

Thank you FlyingAce, As you may have noticed I'm looking to try some new broadheads and you made the process alot easier.
GaryL

Post by GaryL »

Thank you FlyingAce that is nice 8) sure make's it easy... :D
Always learning!!
Home fer now!
The Butcher

Post by The Butcher »

Very interesting, and I'm sure a lot of work. I have been testing broadheads, but for flight, not penetration. I have found a few, that I thought were really good, and some not so good. I've found that 2 blade broadheads, are great for someone shooting lower poundage. But they are hard to tune. I shot Vortex expandables, and killed 7 deer, but had some penetration problems. Thunder heads flew good, but I killed only 2 deer with them, and quit, because the blades were gone by the time the head exited. I now shoot muzzy's, and they have been tough, accurate, and affordable. No complaints what so ever. I do plan on trying the slick tricks. But they seem pricy. Thats a Beautiful shepherd. Male? I have a 110 lb female. She's 2, and has real personality. She's my third, but I don't think I'll do it again. She hates everyone, and is overly protective. I spend to much time comparing them. But they are very loyal dogs. I think I'll go for a chesapeake bay, or a lab retriever.
If you always tell the truth, there is nothing to remember. Mark Twain
FlyingAce

Post by FlyingAce »

Thanks for the complements guys. When I get the documentation worked up I will post it for your comments. I do believe that this should be a collaborative process, so it is truly unbiased.

As for my German Shepherd, her name is Hope and she is nine months old. I am training her to be a service dog for me. Currently , we are doing basic obedience. She is very loyal, affectionate, and not to mention intelligent. Just this last weekend we were walking in three dogs came down on us. She bested her lead and chased all three of them away. I let her go for about 30 yards, called her back, and we preceded home with no wandering problems whatsoever. Needless to say, I was a proud papa... :-) Previously, I have owned both Australian shepherds and golden retriever mixes. They were all pretty intelligent, but my shepherd has stole my heart.
Jim Mace

FlyingAce

Post by FlyingAce »

I was thinking that for one test that could be somewhat practical, in theory anyway, would be to place 1/2-3/4 piece of particleboard (to simulate ribs) on either side of say an apple, I was thinking about oranges, but that could get a little expensive (to simulate muscle and organ tissue). At predetermined distances (10, 20, 30, and 40 yards) shoot once with three apples, then four. I would have just used a single apple, but to simulate two ribs and the distances between the would have to use more than two, in fact, come to think about it, I may have to use more than three or four.

In the beginning, I hope to get the broadheads, and different bolts donated to the cause. After all, with documented testing and scoring criteria, from an independent third-party, to show legitimacy you would think that manufacturers could part with eight heads. Any ideas or avenues to take would be much appreciated.
Jim Mace