which brand crossbow is best for hunting

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

swampidus

which brand crossbow is best for hunting

Post by swampidus »

i had elbow surgery about a year ago and recently started having trouble shooting my hoyt bow. my friends say i want like a crossbow i should try to stick with my compound. if i do go with a crossbow which would be best for hunting. i hear a lot about the excalibur brand but they look to be wide. does that seem to be a problem in the woods. i have a friend who has horton but i keep hearing about the excalibur. which is the best for hunting.
patmax

Post by patmax »

swampidus,

Read and search this forum - you should be able to answer your own question. All the old timers here (I'm old but do not classify as an Old Timer when it comes the Excalibur or archery in general) have Excalibur Crossbows and in many cases a collection of other crossbows and compound bows.

Follow this thread to a forum member in your state that has to sell his new Exomag due to health problems.

http://www.excaliburcrossbow.com/phpBB2 ... php?t=8073

Good luck and good hunting,
patmax
STEELWORKER

Post by STEELWORKER »

swamp....like yourself, i suffered an injury that would no longer permit me to use a vert bow and after searching around on the web i found this site. i read all the great things about these bows and how accurate they "were supposed to be", and so after all the studyin up and testing, i bought an EXOMAG. the guys on the forum warned me about shooting ONE arrow per target. boy did i mess up, at 30 yards free-hand i ROBIN-HOODED 3 arrows in the first week that i had the bow!! :shock: i have shot bow for twenty years and have never even came close. these EXCALIBUR'S ARE THE REAL DEAL!!-----STEEL
rigbymi

Post by rigbymi »

SteelWorker tells no lies.
Riggs
Boltejector

Post by Boltejector »

I bought as Exocet, and went down to the shop to practice. I shot 5 times and robin hooded 1. This maybe will tell you or let you know what the accuracy is on these crossbows.
Git er done, and make sure it is done right!
A.W

Post by A.W »

bstout wrote:Going from a vertical bow to a horizontal bow is awkward at first but you get use to it. It's a little like learning to ride a bicycle. Seems a little strange at first then it becomes second nature.

Bob
Quite a number of the forum members have shoulder/ back problems and use one of the available cocking aids.
[img]http://photobucket.com/albums/b38/allan_w_/th_tinybuck3hj1.gif[/img]

Exocet your options and exCalibur8 your sights.
Shakky

Post by Shakky »

I have had two brands of crossbow Barnett and Excalibur. If you enjoy still hunting through heavy bush then I wouldn't go with an Excalibur. That is their only limitation. The Barnett I have is an RC150. It is a dream to carry, very compact and easy to cock. But I never use it since I got my Vixen. The trigger on the Barnett is a joke. The trigger will move at least a cm before the bow goes off. I could never get used to that as I started off as a rifle shooter. My Vixen has a crisp trigger and is a very accurate hunting tool. The Barnett it accurate enough to hit the kill zone on a deer but the Vixen will "Robin Hood" my arrows if I shoot more then one at the same spot. I will never buy another Barnett. If your planning on hunting from a tree stand or a ground blind then don't even think twice go with an Excalibur.
Boltejector

Post by Boltejector »

I have both a Ten Point and an Exocet 200. I would much rather use the Ten Point for stalking and moving.
Git er done, and make sure it is done right!
Vince

Post by Vince »

Hey Swampidus,

In vertical, nothing beats a Hoyt.
I've got 3 of them: Eclipse, Hunter TD and ProTec.

In Xbow, nothing beats an Excalibur
I've got an Exocet and soon.......the Phoenix.
hunteatsleep

Post by hunteatsleep »

Any of the excalibur line of crossbows make awesome hunting and target machines.Depending on your injury will predict which crossbow you can handle.For me i can only handle the vixen due to back problems.Maybe a new phoenix would be a good alround choice but you will have to shoot several models to be sure whats right for you.and depending how much you shoot.
PRB

Post by PRB »

Shakky wrote:I have had two brands of crossbow Barnett and Excalibur. If you enjoy still hunting through heavy bush then I wouldn't go with an Excalibur. That is their only limitation. The Barnett I have is an RC150. It is a dream to carry, very compact and easy to cock. But I never use it since I got my Vixen. The trigger on the Barnett is a joke. The trigger will move at least a cm before the bow goes off. I could never get used to that as I started off as a rifle shooter. My Vixen has a crisp trigger and is a very accurate hunting tool. The Barnett it accurate enough to hit the kill zone on a deer but the Vixen will "Robin Hood" my arrows if I shoot more then one at the same spot. I will never buy another Barnett. If your planning on hunting from a tree stand or a ground blind then don't even think twice go with an Excalibur.
Ditto...same here for me Shakky except instead of Barnett, it was a Parker. Nothing but Excaliber (Vixen) for me too.
Life Is Too Short !!! Live For The Moment !!!
Digger

Post by Digger »

I hunt with a Paradox and my Martin Jaguar is my back up.

Digger
Digger
2008 Y25 Relayer #593 Boo string, lumizone
2-1984 Relayer,
2-1992 Wolverine
Excal Phoenix, acudraw, VARizone
T.P. Titan TL4, acudraw 50, Varizone
Vixen, Steddy Eddy, Varizone
Martin Rage
Martin Jaguar
PSE Infinity