Red Dot Sight

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Benooneb

Red Dot Sight

Post by Benooneb »

Found this at Le Baron In Ottawa, working great and easy to use, for the price, special 38$

brayhaven

Post by brayhaven »

I had a BSA red dot that came with a pistol I got. I tried it on my X bow last year, hunting, & the thing had to have new batteries twice a day! :shock: Back to basics
Greg
patmax

Post by patmax »

Don't let the battery get weak. I have a Horton that looks just like it. I did not notice that the battery was begging to effect the intensity of the dot until I tried to draw a bead on a doe in bright sunlight and could not find the dot. I had to pass on the doe. I went in and put a new battery in the scope and that fixed the problem. The point I am making is that a weak battery is hard to detect unless you are in bright sunlight.

Otherwise, it is a great scope. I took 3 deer and a friend took one with my Exocet and the 3-dot - no misses. I like the fact that it has no magnification. I now have an Excalibur Vari-Zone that I will use next season. I just do not want to have to worry about the battery. I admit I forgot, a time or two and left the scope on, - not a good idea. I am on my third battery since last summer - they are not cheap and in the long run become a consideration. You could use the batteries I replace for practice because they project a strong dot in low light.

Good luck and good hunting,
patmax
Ben S.

Post by Ben S. »

I shoot a Bushnell Red Dot on my exomag (it was already on there when I bought it). I have a spare battery but I've been using the original for 3 yrs. I'm 4 for 4 with it. I've thought about buying a Varizone but I just plain like the one I have. The batteries seem to last forever.
Benooneb

Post by Benooneb »

Thank for the inputs, il go target shooting this week with it and ill let you know what the battery life on the tasco.
OneShot

Post by OneShot »

Had the same problem as Brayhaven!

Can you imagine the language lesson the animals got when I could not shoot my excalibur at a fine deer that first time afield ?

Purchase an Excal scope and get it over; you won't regret it!

Oneshot...............
Leave the concrete jungle behind and just go hunting !
Benooneb

Post by Benooneb »

when you went hunting did you leave it on steady or opened it on ly when needed?
brayhaven

Post by brayhaven »

Ben S. wrote:I shoot a Bushnell Red Dot on my exomag (it was already on there when I bought it). I have a spare battery but I've been using the original for 3 yrs. I'm 4 for 4 with it. I've thought about buying a Varizone but I just plain like the one I have. The batteries seem to last forever.
I cehcked with Bushnell & they said theirs were good for 40 hours. That would sure be better than the 5 hours I got with the BSA :o) Do you leave it on all day whern you're hunting?
Greg
GaryL

Post by GaryL »

This is not to knock any red dot sight as I myself have three, but the cheaper the RD the harder they are on batteries. Example are the BSA Red Dots with most air guns, the batteries seem to die fairly quick.

However I have two BSA Red Dots in the $80.00+ range that the batteries seem to last a very long time. A Red Dot sight may be a good example of the saying "You get what ya pay fer" However that saying is also refered to as a (excuse the pun any ladies reading the post :lol: )old wife's tale.. :wink:

Always learning!!
Home fer now!
Ben S.

Post by Ben S. »

I don't leave it on all day Brayhaven. I usually leave it on for the first hour after sunrise and the last hour before sunset. Other than that I turn it on if I see or hear what I think is is a deer. I really like how small the scope is.
brayhaven

Post by brayhaven »

GaryL wrote:This is not to knock any red dot sight as I myself have three, but the cheaper the RD the harder they are on batteries. Example are the BSA Red Dots with most air guns, the batteries seem to die fairly quick.

However I have two BSA Red Dots in the $80.00+ range that the batteries seem to last a very long time. A Red Dot sight may be a good example of the saying "You get what ya pay fer" However that saying is also refered to as a (excuse the pun any ladies reading the post :lol: )old wife's tale.. :wink:
Well Gary, you probably have a point there. I don't like optics on archery or ML equip but had this "free" one that came with a pistol. So if you get what you pay for, I certainly got my money's worth :o).
I machined a new rear peep out of 6061 aluminum yesterday to go with the front TFO pin I worked up. Hopefully I won't need the optics.
To me the ideal optical sight would be one with no magnification, but having a reticle that is lighted when you need it. Very small with a huge field of view. Anyone know of a critter like that?
BTW, Gary, the term "old wives" is no longer correct. The politically correct phrase today is ... "aging spousal units" :lol:
Greg
santti

Post by santti »

I have a red dot scope on my compound bow, I can't use anymore because of MS. I used the same battery in it for 2 years. Practiced quite a bit and the battery is still good. I found a place on the internet where I ordered 10 Batteries for about $10 bucks. I'll have to try and find the paperwork wher I got Them from. The only thing I didn"t Like about it was it was hard to see in bright sunlight, I ordered it from Sportsmens Guide caalog.
santti

Post by santti »

I have a red dot scope on my compound bow, I can't use anymore because of MS. I used the same battery in it for 2 years. Practiced quite a bit and the battery is still good. I found a place on the internet where I ordered 10 Batteries for about $10 bucks. I'll have to try and find the paperwork wher I got Them from. The only thing I didn"t Like about it was it was hard to see in bright sunlight, I ordered it from Sportsmens Guide catalog.
patmax

Post by patmax »

My 3-Dot is a Horton that I purchased from Bass Pro Shop last summer for $49.95+ship. Please note, I did not say the batteries went out in a short period of time - I said
I did not notice that the battery was begging to effect the intensity of the dot until I tried to draw a bead on a doe in bright sunlight and could not find the dot (this happend to me two times with two different batteries (I admitted that I had left the scope on in a couple of practice sessions)).
My understanding is the Horton 3-dot is designed to work for 40 hours on the battery. My assumption (we all know what "assumptions" can do) is that at the end of 40 hours there will be not dot visible. For target practice in low light I still have two used batteries that project a very good dot (in low light or shade).

I have made my decision. I don't want to have to worry about turning my scope on and off and carrying an extra battery. I will keep my 3-dot as a backup scope because it was not that expensive.

Good hunting,
patmax
ExcalBeliever

Post by ExcalBeliever »

Hey Benooneb..

Can't help but notice...do your arrows have half-moon nocks?

Just curious.