pellet rifles

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Bert

pellet rifles

Post by Bert »

What is the scoop on pellet rifles? Are they considered a firearm?
Bert,
Zeke

Re: pellet rifles

Post by Zeke »

Bert wrote:What is the scoop on pellet rifles? Are they considered a firearm?
Bert,
Guess it depends on where you live... but I don't think so. I think you have to be 16 to get 'em in Ohio (maybe?), but they don't require any sort of background check or whatever.
GREY OWL

Post by GREY OWL »

I bought one here in Saskatoon, and didn't have to produce my PAL, but if the gun would of been more than 600 ft/sec. then I would of had to produce it. Correct me if I'm wrong??

Grey Owl
Grizzly

Post by Grizzly »

Pretty sure in Ontario if it is over 500 ft/sec. you need a PAL to purchase/own.
Woodsman

Post by Woodsman »

If it's over 500 fps you need a PAL. Pellet guns are not allowed for hunting in Quebec. Not sure about other provinces.
Pete

The great outdoors is where I want to be.
A.W

Post by A.W »

From the Canadian Firearms Centre. FAQ page.

http://www.cfc.gc.ca/faq/default_e.asp#16

Q. Do air guns have to be registered?

Air guns need to be registered only if they have both a high muzzle velocity (greater than 152.4 meters or 500 feet per second) and a high muzzle energy (greater than 5.7 joules or 4.2 foot-pounds). As a rule, the manufacturer’s specifications are used to determine what muzzle velocity and muzzle energy an air gun was designed to have. You may be able to find this information in the user’s manual or on the manufacturer’s web site.
[img]http://photobucket.com/albums/b38/allan_w_/th_tinybuck3hj1.gif[/img]

Exocet your options and exCalibur8 your sights.
A.W

Post by A.W »

bstout wrote:I've always thought in order for a weapon to qualify as a firearm "fire" itself had to be involved.

Bob
In Canada it's " a barrelled object that's capable of discharging a missile". (roughly) It's the speed makes it restricted/unrestricted.

Woodsman

Post by Woodsman »

Get a load of this! A flintlock rifle does not require a PAL to own or purchase and yet a pellet gun over 500 fps does! :shock:
Pete

The great outdoors is where I want to be.
OneShot

Post by OneShot »

Reality struck me as I read this post!

Way back when gun control began and it cost $ 5 for an FAC, they asked for an example of the firearms you owned; I entered a Daisy pellet / bb gun I owned.

Well my permit was delayed for a looooooooooonnnnnnnnnng while.

When I called to see why; the officer on the other end of the phone made reference to the joke I was trying to play on them.

They stopped my application because they "DID NOT" know the law.

Any gun that fires a projectial 500 feet per second must be aquired with an FAC!

After I pointed out this law they seemed a bit confused and hung the phone up.

A few weeks later they phoned back to ask why I would try to use a bb gun as a reference and then aggreed that they were uninformed of this and they would check further and get back to me.

Imagine that, make a law then have employees who don't know them!

Only in canada!

Oneshot............
Leave the concrete jungle behind and just go hunting !
Evan

Post by Evan »

OneShot wrote:
Imagine that, make a law then have employees who don't know them!
It happens in the U.S. all the time. I always say, ask 5 government employees a simple question and you will get 5 different answers. I speak from experience!
A.W

Post by A.W »

Woodsman wrote:Get a load of this! A flintlock rifle does not require a PAL to own or purchase and yet a pellet gun over 500 fps does! :shock:
There are restictions on this Woodsman.

Q. If I make a firearm or assemble one from a kit, at what point do I have to register it?
The requirements can vary depending on the type of firearm you are making or assembling. Firearms that meet the definition of an antique. including matchlock, wheel lock or flint lock long guns, do not have to be registered. In all other cases, if a frame or receiver is included in the kit, it must be. For more guidance, please call 1 800 731-4000 and ask to speak with a firearms technician

The Definition of an Antique
The Criminal Code defines antique firearms as:

firearms manufactured before 1898 that were not designed or re-designed to discharge rim-fire or centre-fire ammunition, or
firearms prescribed as antique firearms in the Criminal Code regulations. These are:
Black Powder Reproductions:
of flintlock, wheel-lock or matchlock firearms, other than handguns, manufactured after 1897; (All other reproductions must be registered and owners must have a firearm licence to possess them. For example, reproductions of percussion cap muzzle-loading firearms like American Civil War Enfield and Springfield rifles will be considered firearms and not antiques.)