Mechanicals again...

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Woody Williams

Mechanicals again...

Post by Woody Williams »

OK..

Here is the deal..

I'm wanting to use Wasp Jackhammers when I turkey hunt this spring.

Backed up with Scorpios.

If I shoot 200#s will these babies sometimes open up on launch?

I dont want to double band on turkeys as I'm not sure a turkey hide/feathers/whatever could get a double banded Jackhammer to open up..

OR should I go for a lower poundage crossbow (Vixen) ?

I don't really want to buy another crossbow at the present time, but I do want to make a good clean kill on the video...
Woody Williams

We have met the enemy and he is us - Pogo Possum

Hunting in Indiana at [size=84][color=Red][b][url=http://huntingindiana.proboards52.com]HUNT-INDIANA[/url][/b][/color][/size]
Tom

Post by Tom »

Woody I am not sure of the head your talking about (not having ever used them) but I think that if you make sure that the bands you are using are in new condition, I do not think that you will have trouble becuase they are a quality head.

I believe that the few people that have had problems with mechanicals opening up early, they have not preformed the necessary checks on their retaining clips/bands before they shoot.

If you are still worried, there is an easy test, fire the arrow through cling wrap or something like that. The wrap will not be strong enough to open the head, but will show a cut (not a hole) if the blade or blades open up on firing.

Hope this helps.
Tom
[img]http://hometown.aol.com/wingbonecall/images/turkey.gif[/img]
Woody Williams

Post by Woody Williams »

Good idea Tom..

I'll try that.

bstout,

Finances (and momma) don't quite allow that right now..
Woody Williams

We have met the enemy and he is us - Pogo Possum

Hunting in Indiana at [size=84][color=Red][b][url=http://huntingindiana.proboards52.com]HUNT-INDIANA[/url][/b][/color][/size]
dw

Post by dw »

woody i thought your exomag was a 185lb model?
i shot the nap shockwaves out of my 185lb mag when i had it with no problems. when i went to the 200lb mag i switched to the fixed blades.
'dw"
"you gotta love it"
wabi

Post by wabi »

Woody,
Just my experience, but the JakHammers were great out of my Vixen, but opened in flight out of the Exocet. There might be ways to prevent it (like double banding) but I went to fixed blades only to remove any doubt on performance.
wabi
wabi
Tar Heel

Post by Tar Heel »

Woody, the NAP Shockwave works great in my 185lb exomag and does not open on the shoot through mesh. Anything on your arrow to limit penteration might not be a goog idea if using the shoot through mesh in your blind.
Best of luck
Tar Heel
Vince

Post by Vince »

Try the NAP Spitfire's.

They have a turkey load, too.

What's nice about them, they don't use bands or elastics. Instead, they use a friction tab which has a set screw allowing you to adjust the amount of tension.
I've used them with a 54 lb. vertical and a 175 lb Exocet and haven't ever experienced pre-mature blade opening.
I too use the cling wrap test to confirm tab tension.
With a little experimenting, I'm sure they'll work on heavier poundage xbows.
speedball

Post by speedball »

hey Vince, will the regular spitfire xp's be alright for a 200# exocet?, i've used that head(not xp's) for years with great results, but the fastest i've shot it was 314 f.ps. out of a matthews mq1, do you think it'll open prematurley?? speedball............ :?: :?:
gone huntin never to return................
speedball

Post by speedball »

hey Vince, will the regular spitfire xp's be alright for a 200# exocet?, i've used that head(not xp's) for years with great results, but the fastest i've shot it was 314 f.ps. out of a matthews mq1, do you think it'll open prematurley?? speedball............ :?: :?:
gone huntin never to return................
Dave Snobelen

Post by Dave Snobelen »

Woody
My older non mag tip Exomag won't shoot the Jackhammers with out opening in flight or when the string fires if you follow me. I have to double band. The only mechanical that won't open prematurely is the Mini Max and I forget the manufacturer.
Dave
Tom

Post by Tom »

speedball wrote:hey Vince, will the regular spitfire xp's be alright for a 200# exocet?, i've used that head(not xp's) for years with great results, but the fastest i've shot it was 314 f.ps. out of a matthews mq1, do you think it'll open prematurley?? speedball............ :?: :?:
Speedball I think that you mean "Scorpion XP" not the spitfire xp. I am not sure about the maxium speed for the Scorpion XP but the company told me that their Spitfires' have been tested with speeds over 400 fps without opening up early. Now is saying this, the shooter MUST maintain the condition of the retaining clips Once they have been fired, the clips will lose some of their ability to hold the blades closed. With the different heads that use rubber bands or rubber gromets, you have to keep an eye on the condition of the rubber. Rubber will check and lose strength over time, espically if exposed to sunlight and high heat.

Vince I too believe that when turkey hunting with arrows you should have an arrow arrester of some kind to stop the pass from passing completly threw the bird. Washers or other fixed type arresters I find do work but will cause more dammage to the meat (cuts and brusing) then the sliding type. The Zwickey Scorpio works great and I have heard another tell me that they have just installed rubber washers (must fit tightly to shaft) behind the head. Instead of penertrating the bird, the washers slide on the shaft slowing the arrow and stopping the complete pass threw. I have never tried the rubber washer, so I can't conferm if it actually works great or not, just passing on what I have been told.
Tom
[img]http://hometown.aol.com/wingbonecall/images/turkey.gif[/img]
ExcalBeliever

Post by ExcalBeliever »

Hey Woody....just shoot 'em in the head!!!

The Excal is up to it!!

Seriously, If I remember correctly the jakhammers were opening up at around 305fps or so.

Should would make a nice excuse to get a Vixen, eh?!!
Last edited by ExcalBeliever on Sat Mar 05, 2005 6:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deadeye

Post by Deadeye »

hey everyone, what is wrong with using the slick trick for turkey? Will they perform okay?
Deadeye
Blood make's the grass grow, Owh-ay!
Vince

Post by Vince »

Speedball/Tom,

Both the NAP Spitfire XP PRO and NAP Scorpion XP are cut-on-contact mechanicals.

I haven't used either, only the NAP Spitfire, and agree that some sort of arrow arrester is required for turkey hunting. I found a rubber grommet at a local hardware store....it works great!

As far as the blade retention tab, i read somewhere that it should be replaced after 5 shots.
Digger

Post by Digger »

My Slick Trick set up for turkeys

Digger

Digger
2008 Y25 Relayer #593 Boo string, lumizone
2-1984 Relayer,
2-1992 Wolverine
Excal Phoenix, acudraw, VARizone
T.P. Titan TL4, acudraw 50, Varizone
Vixen, Steddy Eddy, Varizone
Martin Rage