Maximum FPS in the next 10 years?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

canadianhunter312

Maximum FPS in the next 10 years?

Post by canadianhunter312 »

hey all i was looking at excaliburs arrow trajectory charts and saw one for 400fps so it got me thinking.

is it possible for excalibur to make a 400+fps bow that can still be cock with one of the rope cockers? what would the draw weight be on one of those puppies?

i know we dont need that much speed because the bolts will probly go through targets too much but it just has me curious.

thanx for any input.

scott
Digger

Post by Digger »

Once it gets to 500fps you'll have to register in the gun registry. :cry: :(

Digger
Digger
2008 Y25 Relayer #593 Boo string, lumizone
2-1984 Relayer,
2-1992 Wolverine
Excal Phoenix, acudraw, VARizone
T.P. Titan TL4, acudraw 50, Varizone
Vixen, Steddy Eddy, Varizone
Martin Rage
Martin Jaguar
PSE Infinity
canadianhunter312

gotta be herc to draw one shootin 500fps. i think it will take at least 10 years before they get that fast at least.

scott
ComfyBear

Post by ComfyBear »

There's something already out that can launch a bolt/arrow in the 435
fps range. If you search the archives of this forum you'll find it. :wink:

Or you can just click this link. :lol:

http://www.swivelmachine.com/html/rimfire.htm
ComfyBear
Micro Axe 340, Matrix 380, Matrix 355, Matrix 350, Exocet 200
ComfyBear Strings
G5 Montecs 125gr., SlickTrick 125 gr. Magnums

To thine own self be true.
Remove thine mask Polonius.
Live thy truth, doth not be false to any man.
canadianhunter312

i saw that thing a few months ago....

i was thinking more along the line of excal crossbows.

scott
ExcalBeliever

Post by ExcalBeliever »

Maybe....technology is a funny thing. As an engineer, I am somewhat involved with it everyday!!

In 10 years...who knows what kind of new materials will be invented. I am sure a revolutionary lightweight yet strong material will come along that will possibly enable a recurve-style crossbow to propel an arrow at 400 fps.

The biggest factor as you alluded to is the limitations of one's ability to physically "draw" or cock a crossbow that is capable of 400 fps. With today's materials, I would guess something in the neighborhood of 300# pull weight to get 400 fps. I don't think the average person could draw that much weight with the current string cocking devices!!

But...never say never!!
Richard

Post by Richard »

I wonder how fast the crossbows shot that were build ten years ago. :?:
Swisscrossbows new model already shoots 370 fps!
And there is another point that I'm thinking of: The Exomax is already so hard to pull that most of the people cock it with a cocking aid. But if you use the cocking aid I think it's no problem to pull a bow that is much stronger. So if there would be a 300 ib crossbow, why should there be a problem by cocking it?
The crossbows that were build 500 years ago were also strong and nobody tried to cock them by hand. :wink:
10Ring

Post by 10Ring »

Richard wrote:The crossbows that were build 500 years ago were also strong and nobody tried to cock them by hand. :wink:
A replica of a historic crossbow, as described;

http://www.period-crossbows.demon.co.uk/siege.htm

These historic designs usually seemed to have short power strokes from the originals I have seen in various museums; so does the replica on the link.
10Ring
canadianhunter312

im very eager to see how fast companies can get crossbows to go before they call it quits on the speed and just come out with different models.

excal bows really arent that different in fps so maybe they are already at the limit for materials available today?

scott
GaryL

Post by GaryL »

Image don't know fer sure, but in my book thats about what they are doing now :!: More or less....345fps been around fer a couple years in a compound xbow and in a recruve I think anything over 225# is over doing it for the AVERAGE person. :wink:
Always learning!!
Home fer now!
Digger

Post by Digger »

GaryL wrote:Image don't know fer sure, but in my book thats about what they are doing now :!: More or less....345fps been around fer a couple years in a compound xbow and in a recruve I think anything over 225# is over doing it for the AVERAGE person. :wink:
Gary, I think that after the Max we go to siege weapons. :wink:

Digger
Digger
2008 Y25 Relayer #593 Boo string, lumizone
2-1984 Relayer,
2-1992 Wolverine
Excal Phoenix, acudraw, VARizone
T.P. Titan TL4, acudraw 50, Varizone
Vixen, Steddy Eddy, Varizone
Martin Rage
Martin Jaguar
PSE Infinity
ComfyBear

Post by ComfyBear »

canadianhunter312 wrote:im very eager to see how fast companies can get crossbows to go before they call it quits on the speed and just come out with different models.

x-bows really arent that different in fps so maybe they are already at the limit for materials available today?

scott
Tales from the grapevine might suggest that some are already beyond their limits.
ComfyBear
Micro Axe 340, Matrix 380, Matrix 355, Matrix 350, Exocet 200
ComfyBear Strings
G5 Montecs 125gr., SlickTrick 125 gr. Magnums

To thine own self be true.
Remove thine mask Polonius.
Live thy truth, doth not be false to any man.
maddog

Post by maddog »

canadianhunter312 wrote: excal bows really arent that different in fps so maybe they are already at the limit for materials available today?
As an engineer myself I cant think of any "limit" so long as you put enough energy behind the bolt. Of course, a mechanical device to pull the "limbs" back would be required.
I think the "limit" today is based on what a person can pull back manually with a simple 2:1 ratio aid. Plus, some states have poundage limits for hunting purposes.