Turkey: Accuracy with Scorpios, Adders, or star washers

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Zeke

Turkey: Accuracy with Scorpios, Adders, or star washers

Post by Zeke »

For you fellers that have shot with the various arrow arrestors, do they really mess with your point of impact?

When "star washers" are mentioned, are we talking about the regular variety available at the hardware store? Or are there ones that are archery specific?

Also, is avoiding a pass through a complete necessity for turkeys? Or is having the arrow stay in the bird just a "bonus" to aid in tracking/recovery?

And what the heck is a "String Tracker"???
Tom

Post by Tom »

Zeke the arresters I use are the Zwicley Scorpio's and they do not effect the flight in any way. Point of impact stayed the same for me and my dad with his bow. I have not tested the other arresters, but the point of impact should not change much if any.

Trouble is with a turkey is that they can run very fast and in a short time they can cover a great distance. If they are able to take to flight, you will loose all posiblity of tracking them. To recover the bird after flight, you would have to be lucky. Turkeys have a very small kill zone and if you do not hit it perfectly, they do have a little time to scatter. With an arrow still in the bird, it would be very difficult for them to either run or fly.
Tom
[img]http://hometown.aol.com/wingbonecall/images/turkey.gif[/img]
canadianhunter312

Post by canadianhunter312 »

this year im using some mechanical 1 1/2" heads with those spring arresters like on judo points and my dads buddy is sopose to be getting me a tracking kit from the US.

apparently theres 1000ft of white very fine string on a spool that will attach to the bottom of a crossbow and doesnt effect accuracy (at least thats what they say)

its less than $30 so im gonna try it out on some targets first. then if i shoot a tom at least ill have a string to follow i guess.

how bout using fishing line and when he goes to run just yank on the line :D lol.

scott
A.W

Post by A.W »

canadianhunter312

Most will agree that the string WILL affect accuracy. Best without it. :wink:

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think you can re-wind the string after using it..Save your money.
[img]http://photobucket.com/albums/b38/allan_w_/th_tinybuck3hj1.gif[/img]

Exocet your options and exCalibur8 your sights.
canadianhunter312

Post by canadianhunter312 »

ive heard of them a few years ago but neevr heard of accuracy. heck ive enevr even seen one in person.

i think ive seen a fixed blade with 1 3/4" cut dia. that i think i might try if i can find it.

scott
FlyingAce

Post by FlyingAce »

I just got my Excalibur in February, and Washington does not have a spring turkey season and I have never hunted turkey so I am shooting from the hip here. Anyway, if you could get the arrow to not pass through and used a lighted moon nock like the Archers Flame I would think that that would definitely aid in game recovery. However, I do have to warn you that these nocks are not the greatest in broad daylight, but if you have a halfway decent canopy you should be served well I would think.
Jim Mace

"Success is how high you bounce when you hit bottom." Gen. George S. Patton

Flying Ace Enterprises Inc.
[url]http://www.flyingaceinc.com[/url]
Woody Williams

Post by Woody Williams »

The string trackers wil affect accuarcy . Out past 25 yards - forget it..

You can not rewind the string..
Woody Williams

We have met the enemy and he is us - Pogo Possum

Hunting in Indiana at [size=84][color=Red][b][url=http://huntingindiana.proboards52.com]HUNT-INDIANA[/url][/b][/color][/size]
Tar Heel

Post by Tar Heel »

I got a string tracker last deer season to use when it was raining, it had 17
lb. line on it. At 20yds it did not affect accuracy that much but at 30yds it was 6 inches low. I was going to limit my shots to 25 yds and thats on a deer. The line feeds off from inside the spool and doesn't feed out as good on a full spool, I would shoot once then use it to hunt. You cannot rewind it you have to cut the line after shooting. If you have a pass through you have a double line to follow. I duct taped spool to the bottom of the rail and fasten string behind the broadhead.
I used it in the rain a few times but have not seen anything, I had dreams of shooting a deer and coming back the next morning and following the line to a big buck. :lol: :lol: Oh well theres next year.

Tar Heel
huntin freak

Post by huntin freak »

FlyingAce wrote: Anyway, if you could get the arrow to not pass through and used a lighted moon nock like the Archers Flame I would think that that would definitely aid in game recovery.
Seems like an excellent idea but when I looked at the site, I noted that the crossbow nock has a notch in it. do you know if they also come in flat ends? The Excalibur is at it's best with the flats :D .
Digger

Post by Digger »

I just called Gagnon's and they do not have Zwickey Scorpios in stock, they do have grasshoppers in stock as of now but he is going to try and order scorpios from his suppliers. I would suggest phoning before you go to the store.

Telephone: 905-725-5798
FAX: 905-579-0369
Mail: 385 Bloor Street West
Oshawa Ontario L1J 5Y5
(MAP)
Email: [email protected]

Digger
Digger
2008 Y25 Relayer #593 Boo string, lumizone
2-1984 Relayer,
2-1992 Wolverine
Excal Phoenix, acudraw, VARizone
T.P. Titan TL4, acudraw 50, Varizone
Vixen, Steddy Eddy, Varizone
Martin Rage
Martin Jaguar
PSE Infinity
huntin freak

Post by huntin freak »

Hey Digger...you beat me to the draw. :) . I went to Gagnons on the way to work and they didnt have the Zwickey Scorpios in stock but the fellow John at the archery desk said he'd look into it. I did find them at jesseshunting.com for $2.55 a pair and at eders.com for $3.50 a pair.They are called Scorpio Grapplers. Good luck and I hope this helps. :D . I also should get some because the ones that I have have a ring that fits between the broadhead and the shaft of the arrow. Might work but would rather have the one that slides up the arrow shaft.
Digger

Post by Digger »

Archers Nook also has scorpion grapplers in stock. $4.40 a pack.

http://www.archersnook.com/points.html

Digger
Digger
2-1984 Relayer,
2-1992 Wolverine
Martin Rage
Martin Jaguar
PSE Infinity
Zeke

Post by Zeke »

What size does a person need to order for 22 series arrows?
Digger

Post by Digger »

2 Scorpios per package

Read User Reviews Or Post Your Own Review About This Product Here.

These Scorpio grapplers make great Xmas or birthday gifts

Order your Zwickey Scorpio Small Game & Turkey Grappler today!

Available Options:
Size: 20/64" shaft, 20 grain21/64" shaft, 20 grain22/64" shaft, 20 grain23/64" shaft, 20 grain24/64" shaft, 20 grain

Use the 22/64" shaft.

Digger
Digger
2-1984 Relayer,
2-1992 Wolverine
Martin Rage
Martin Jaguar
PSE Infinity
Tom

Post by Tom »

Zeke wrote:What size does a person need to order for 22 series arrows?
For the 22 series arrows you would need 22/64 dia and for the 21 series arrows (2117) you would need 21/64 dia.

huntin freak I tried to order them at Eders but they told me they would not ship into Canada. I had not found Jessie's Store with them but I had ordered 4 packs (all they had in the 21/64 dia) from another store for $3.50.

Gagnon's has been, sorry to say, I like the store and personally know the owners, but for the last few years they have told me that they would be getting them in, but then never order them. So this year I got them from somewhere else. Archers nook in London has the 22/64 Dia Scropions listed but they would not fit my 2117 arrows without modification (it can be done).
Tom
[img]http://hometown.aol.com/wingbonecall/images/turkey.gif[/img]