Moose Hunting WMU 54

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Shakky

Moose Hunting WMU 54

Post by Shakky »

After a 15 year break I finally convinced my hunting party to go after moose again. The last time we went to WMU 54 it was a mad house. Hunters all over the place. A couple of moose were taken and then nothing for the rest of the week. We didn't see a thing. Well I'm dragging them up there again and I was wondering has anyone hunted there recently and is it still heavily hunted? In addition, no one in my group has ever gotten a moose so I was wondering what was the best thing to use for quartering it up? We are going to use canoes this time to get as remote as possible so weight is a concern. I was thinking a saw or maybe an axe. I know some use a chainsaw, how messy is that?
LoneWolf

Re: Moose Hunting WMU 54

Post by LoneWolf »

Shakky wrote: I was thinking a saw or maybe an axe. I know some use a chainsaw, how messy is that?
Yep, a chainsaw with mazolla oil as your chain lubricant. It's a good idea to have a chainsaw just for that. Do not use one that has had chain oil through it.... It's not messy at all, it goes quite well and much faster. An ax also does the trick, takes more time but it works...

LW
GREYWOLF

Post by GREYWOLF »

:? :? Cant tell you about that area , but a chain saw works but it is messy and dirty (bar oil & fuel) a battery saw's -all works much better just use large bi-metal blade's and have an extra battery handy. Large game bag's are also a must. Good luck GREYWOLF
1 CUSTOM EXOMAX
1 CUSTOM EXOCET 200
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v651/greywolf1/Copyofexcalibur037-1.jpg[/img]
LoneWolf

Post by LoneWolf »

After gutting a moose you'll have blood/guts up to your shoulders, so you'll already have moose all over yourself anyhow...:shock:

LW
GREYWOLF

Post by GREYWOLF »

:D Thats for sure :lol:
1 CUSTOM EXOMAX
1 CUSTOM EXOCET 200
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v651/greywolf1/Copyofexcalibur037-1.jpg[/img]
Maritimer

Post by Maritimer »

I hunt moose every year and I have used a chainsaw for the first couple of years then I switched to a hand saw. I like it better for quartering up moose. I use a course bladed saw and the reason I do so is because the teeth don't get clog up. I use a saw called the sharp it has a 20 inch blade and it cuts in both directions. The hand saw is easy to pack,clean and does a good job. I hope this helps. Good luck this year on your hunt.
Last edited by Maritimer on Fri Mar 25, 2005 2:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[img]http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y28/Maritimer/Junk/doggy2.gif[/img]
We did not inherit the earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children."
GREY OWL

Post by GREY OWL »

I use a nice long bladed hand saw, with a brand new blade, no problems at all. You'll be so pumped after getting your moose, you won't even notice the work.

Good luck to you and the boys Shakky.

Grey Owl
A.W

Post by A.W »

When I lived in Temagami we quartered a moose with two hatchets back to back. Put the blade on the bone and strike the flat end with the other. The bone is still soft and the it goes through quite easily. We had it on the truck in an hour or less.

You have my phone, give me a call if you want.
[img]http://photobucket.com/albums/b38/allan_w_/th_tinybuck3hj1.gif[/img]

Exocet your options and exCalibur8 your sights.
GREY OWL

Post by GREY OWL »

Sorry, I should of said meat saw!!!

Grey Owl
jc2white

area 54

Post by jc2white »

I own some property up in area 54, but have not hunted moose there. The locals around me do well for deer, using their dogs, and get the occasional moose. At the nothern end of the zone is Haliburton Forest. A number of moose are taken out of there each year. Not a high moose density in the area, and you are right, alot of hunters.
Shakky

Post by Shakky »

Thanks guys.
This year we will only be able to hunt calf moose but next year we will be in Pool 1 and should score a bull tag. I can't wait for the ice to melt so I can get out there and do some scouting :!:
LoneWolf

Post by LoneWolf »

The best of luck, Shakky...

LW
chessy

Post by chessy »

dont count on hunting calfs this year .... from what the rumour is it will be apply for calf this year in that area ... last year it was 4 guys pool 1 choice 1 this year i here 5 for the same and apply for calfs in 54... just rumors but they on good source
The Schnitz

Post by The Schnitz »

I deer hunt there every rifle season(just outside of Wilberforce). Deer number fluctuate year to year. As for moose I occasionally see sign once in a while. However I think the population is low. Plus bull and cow tags are very hard to get. Good luck
Chris
Full Camo Matrix 380
Eotech 512 Holographic Weapons Sight
R.E.D.S
Boo Custom String with Cat Whiskers
Excalibur Diablo 18 inch arrows
Spitfire 125's
Rick Teal

Post by Rick Teal »

I picked up a suggestion from one of these boards that I was prepared to try last year if we'd shot a moose. It was a battery operated reciprocating saw, I picked one up a Princess Auto for a reasonable price. The recommendation was to use as long a blade as you can get in order to reach all the way through the spine.
I hunt, therefore I am.