turkey shotgun?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

DEAD-EYE

turkey shotgun?

Post by DEAD-EYE »

i am looking for a good turkey shotgun at a reasonable price,, and wonder what you guys use/suggest,,, i plan on the gun being strictly for turkey and would also like camo,,,

so far this is what i have come up with,, remington 870 express turkey camo,, its a 3", with a 21" vent rib barrel, twin beed, and for $ 400 ca. before tax

but i am up for suggestions

thanks, :lol:
hunters will do anything for a... buck!!!
canadianhunter312

Post by canadianhunter312 »

if its a turkey and maybe deer gun than 870 express super mag combo is great. with coppersolid sabots i get 3" groups at 125 yards.

but, if its going to be a turkey gun than your not looking to spend alot of money correct?

an awesome turkey gun for you would be the NEF/H&R Pardner turkey gun. this 10 gauge beast has a camo (or black) stock. is tapped for scope mounts and has an xtra full screw in choke. weighs 9lbs so it really tames the recoil.

i was thinking about buying one last year. my uncle has one that he let me shoot. it kicks pretty good but i think my 870 with 2 1/4oz load kicks harder.

absolute killer patterns.

http://www.hr1871.com/firearms/index.php?cat=3&subcat=2

theres the link. i forget how much it was but it was cheaper than the gun your thinking about.

scott
Golden Eagle

Post by Golden Eagle »

I use a Remington 870 just like you describe xcept its called a Special Purpose instead of an xpress. I also use a Remington 1100. I took the long barrel off and put on a Hastings 24 inch. Both are 12 gauge and both smoke turkeys. Neither are 3 1/2 inch however, just 3 inch. But they were bought before 3 1/2 inch came out. If I were buying another one, I would get the 870 without hesitation.
huntman

Post by huntman »

I bought the benneli nova fully camo 30 inch barrel with 3 chokes last year. The price of it is around $700.00
xbowking

Post by xbowking »

HI , i use a Charles Daily 12ga 3 1/2" chamber 24" barrel vent rib ,fiber optic sights it has nice camo , it looks sweet , shoots good too , i killed a nice tom with it last yr at about 45 yrds no problem , i bought it at the "Wolfs Den " in Utopia near Barrie,$ 400 , brand new , last yr i only used 3" shells , this yr i have 3 1/2" turkey load-- look out TOM, also going to try my second bird with my new Excalibur Exocet , that i just bought a couple weeks ago , well happy shooting ....Dave
STEELWORKER

Post by STEELWORKER »

i use a 12 gauge single shot and it never failed me..u do only need one shot right?...this year im gonna try my luck on an old tom with my EXOMAG 8) --------STEEL
schnarrfuss

Post by schnarrfuss »

I have the Remington 870 Express Super Magnum 3 1/2 inch. It knocks em over preatty good. Also added a camo stock too it and a scope.
"Hunting is not a matter of life or death. It's much more important than that."

Exomag-Lumizone-Thunderbolts-Slicks-
Blasers-GroundpounderMount-CustomBooString

Bowtech Destroyer Compound Bow Fully Loaded
Brampton Mike

Post by Brampton Mike »

:D :D The 870 pump gun rules!!!!!!!!!!!! :wink: Go for it!!!!!!!!!!! :wink: Brampton Mike 8)
If I can't hunt & fish in heaven....then I don't want to go!!!!!!!!!!

Vegetarian..............old Indian word for lousy hunter!
Woody Williams

Post by Woody Williams »

You cnat go wrong with teh Remington.

I have a 870 with cantilever mounted scopes on my turkey and deer barrel. It is just a matter of swapping out barrels when the proper seaosn comes in. Two guns in one..

Since the scopes are mounted on the barrels they wont lose zero.
Woody Williams

We have met the enemy and he is us - Pogo Possum

Hunting in Indiana at [size=84][color=Red][b][url=http://huntingindiana.proboards52.com]HUNT-INDIANA[/url][/b][/color][/size]
Quickshot

Post by Quickshot »

Winchester 1300 express pump, great gun, screw in chokes and double slide pump. I did the camo myself. Works great around the $400.00 mark.
enjoy the woods
Doug
Vince

Post by Vince »

FOR SALE:
Winchester 1300 Real Tree Turkey 12 Gauge 3"

-21" Barrel
-Real Tree Camo
-3 Wichester Chokes
-Drilled/Tapped for scope
-H.S Strut: The UnderTaker Choke
-Model 00662 Sabot Choke

$ 525.00 CND Firm

PM me: Serious Inquiries ONLY, having proper documentation to purchase firearm, CASH only and able to travel to Ottawa to take delivery.
brayhaven

Post by brayhaven »

Most of the time I use an old, pre-1900 german hammer drilling 16X16 over 9.3 X 72. Using brass cases with berdan priming that I work up tight & fast loads for. Shot a nice Osceola Gobbler with it Thursday AM. I also like to hunt with a Muzzle loader. If I'm really mad/hungry, I use a Winchester 97 in 16 ga that has a very tight pattern. Usually don't have to resort to that extreme though :lol: . The key is to call them in close. You don't really need a cannon, shooting them in the head. The real thrill is getting them in real close and watching them for awhile anyway. People get these big heavy shotguns and convince themselves they can shoot turkeys @ 50 yards and wind up wounding a lot of birds. They should have worked on their calling & camo techniques instead. You'll have more fun 8) .
Greg
bow hunter

Post by bow hunter »

Dead_Eye,
I have that exact gun. I love it. I've taken 5 turkeys with 5 shots with it, between 15 and 30 yds. Only thing, I would like a longer barrel for waterfowl. Keep promissing to but myself a 26 or 28 barrel. I paid 449.00 5 years ago, so your price seems pretty good.