Coyote Tips

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Herbinator

Coyote Tips

Post by Herbinator »

Hi all,

As some of you know, I've just purchased a Phoenix. Great bow, SUPER accurate!! I've been trying to bag a pesky coyote on my brother in law's farm for the past few evenings with no success. I can get within 40 or 50 yards, then he always spooks. He shows up every evening in an area where they keep their hay bales. The buggar actually gets on top of them to scout for mice. I've set up down wind, in between other bales with a camo net and a box of beer :wink: I know coyote hunting with a bow is tough at the best of times, but I also know it can be done. When he comes in, I've been crawling slowly towards him, but he always spooks when I get just within range :twisted: :evil: Any pointers? I don't want to have to break out a rifle!!
Benooneb

Post by Benooneb »

30.06 that is a solution to your prob ,, LOL
Herbinator

Post by Herbinator »

:lol: :lol:
That's the easy way for sure! My brother inlaw gave me until Sunday with the crossbow, then we bring out the guns... I just thought I'd give it a go. It will be my first kill with a bow of any kind.
bushmaster

Post by bushmaster »

Put a little something out there for bait, make him come to where you want him. Even some coyote lure or urine would work.

Keep us posted, this will be interesting ! He might be quick enough to jump your string.
Herbinator

Post by Herbinator »

bushmaster,

We considered baiting, but we're pretty sure it's illegal.... Although there is a bit of a gray area there since it's "our" land and the coyote is a "predator" If it comes to that, I'll bait on the weekend. I doubt we'd have a problem...there are ALOT of yotes this year!
A.W

Post by A.W »

bushmaster wrote:Put a little something out there for bait,
Wanna borrow my Ex.?? :lol:
[img]http://photobucket.com/albums/b38/allan_w_/th_tinybuck3hj1.gif[/img]

Exocet your options and exCalibur8 your sights.
bushmaster

Post by bushmaster »

Herbinator, what's wrong with baiting coyotes ? I do it all winter long. And don't get me wrong , I'm talking about something very small, even a gopher, or like I said before, just the odor of something. Believe me, he will find it. Even pee on the ground beside a bale if you don't have coyote urine (used in trapping).
TYE

Post by TYE »

Leave one of your beer out for him... :lol:
Herbinator

Post by Herbinator »

That would constitute a major beer crime! lol

Bushmaster

I've been looking through the regs and haven't seen anything about baiting being illegal for yotes. We just thought it must be since that would be too easy... I guess i'll give it a try on the weekend. Since there are lots of gophers around, I'll be using them.

Thanks!
GREY OWL

Post by GREY OWL »

Herb. here in Sask. coyotes are considered pests. Landowners need no licence, can shoot them year round. I'm sure its the same in Alberta.

Here's what you do. Go to any farm with cattle or pigs, chances are they'll have some fresh animals that just died, they'll be only to glad to give them to you. Haul them back to where you hunt, use a tree stand, feed them for a week or two, bingo, guaranteed yotes, for the bar-be-que. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Grey Owl
DOXNUT

Post by DOXNUT »

HERB......Personally, I wouldn't chase him! Coyotes are really smart, and can be educated fairly quickly. Try a Mouse squicker to close the gap when he starts coming in, just remember......most predators like to smell their game before attacking. Predator hunting is opposite then deer hunting, YOU become the hunted!

I would imagine that theres a few Predator Pro's here........
Herbinator

Post by Herbinator »

It is the same in Alberta as far as I can tell by the regs. I'm going to use gophers though, since there is no shortage. I can't use a tree stand as there are no trees around :lol: I have to hide between hay bales with a camo net draped over me. The little #@$%er comes pretty close, but as soon as he gets within reasonable kill range (remember, I'm new to the crossbow world), he always spooks. I guess bait will cure that problem! Thanks guys!
TYE

Post by TYE »

This guy where I bow hunted last year, he wants me to come out there and kill all the coyotes I can find, because a coyote ripped the balls off of one of his cows.

Post by Guest »

TYE wrote:This guy where I bow hunted last year, he wants me to come out there and kill all the coyotes I can find, because a coyote ripped the balls off of one of his cows.
Sorry fella, a cow is the mature female of cattle or other large animal. Kinda difficult for a yote to do what you claimed. :roll: :lol: :wink:
Ayup, I've worked as a dairy farmer in the past. :D

Herb,
Just grab your deer rifle and git-r-done. :wink:
Zeke

Post by Zeke »

Carl from Vermont wrote:Sorry fella, a cow is the mature female of cattle or other large animal. Kinda difficult for a yote to do what you claimed. :roll: :lol: :wink:
Ayup, I've worked as a dairy farmer in the past. :D

Herb,
Just grab your deer rifle and git-r-done. :wink:
Unless exposed to (or raised around) a farm, most folks don't know the differences twixt cow, bull, steer, and heifer.