Recently bought a Vixen, but sort of having some doubts.

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

BUCKeYeHunter

great buy

Post by BUCKeYeHunter »

welcome to excal,personally i'd say the only way to truly experience the excal experience would be getting a rope cocker......i'd feel nekkid without.happy hunting
GREY OWL

Post by GREY OWL »

TYE.................. is your last name by chance DOMI ??? You play for the Toronto Maple Leafs ??? Holy Sh#$%t man, sounds like your a rough cowboy. At that rate you may not see your 18 birthday!! KIDDING.

Take care, enjoy your next Xbow, Phoenix?? Exocet??

Grey Owl
TYE

Post by TYE »

GREY OWL wrote:TYE.................. is your last name by chance DOMI ??? You play for the Toronto Maple Leafs ??? Holy Sh#$%t man, sounds like your a rough cowboy. At that rate you may not see your 18 birthday!! KIDDING.

Take care, enjoy your next Xbow, Phoenix?? Exocet??

Grey Owl
LOL

Well I JUST bought the Vixen, but I wanna give that to my dad instead, and upgrade to the Pheonix possably.
rigbymi

Post by rigbymi »

If you have the height and strength for that Exocet 200 That would be the bow of my choice. I have a 175lb Exocet. Congrats on your purchase of an Excal and welcome to the forum. No doubt with the 200!
Riggs
Vince

Post by Vince »

Grey Wolf,

RE: DOMI, I think Tye said he was 6' 4", NOT 4'6"

Speaking of the Leafs, i hear they're applauding up/down Yonge St. about
their unbeaten streak during the 2005 season!!!!!!!
Evan

Post by Evan »

I will put in another vote for bj. He is a championship crossbow shooter and his integrity is the best!

Evan
Vince

Post by Vince »

Did i say Grey Wolf, sorry i meant meant Grey Owl
TYE

Post by TYE »

rigbymi wrote:If you have the height and strength for that Exocet 200 That would be the bow of my choice. I have a 175lb Exocet. Congrats on your purchase of an Excal and welcome to the forum. No doubt with the 200!
Riggs
Thank you. I have the height, but I'm lacking strength. I have hunted with someone elses 175lb Exocet, and I could handle that. So I'm leaning towards the Pheonix since it's 175lbs.
BUCKSHOT

Hummm!

Post by BUCKSHOT »

Welcome aboard Tye!
No matter what bow you have it would be a good idea to use a stringing aid!
There are many advantages. Firstly the string will be cocked the same every time (centered), the aid will reduce the amount of pull required by 50%, to cock the bow. It is a lot easier on your back e.t.c. For the price it is a good investment!
I own a Vixen and can cock it and an Exocet easily, the point is that I don't know for sure where the string is, and you remove a variable by cocking it the same each time!
Also I have heard it mentioned on here that the Vixen will do the job on Bears and Moose, it's just highly recommended that the range be correct and accuracy is imperitive! I know that applies to any hunting situation, I just believe you need a closer range on the big stuff!
Anyway if you use a cocking aid, don't be afraid of any Excalibur, for cocking!
If your Dad decides he wants something bigger than a Vixen as well, you should be able to get an excellent trade value on your Vixen. They hold their value nicely!
Remember Shoot Straight & Be Happy! :wink:
Enjoy the Harvest!
TYE

Post by TYE »

Thanks for the welcome Buckshot. :)
I thought about getting the cocking rope thinger ma jigger, to help me cock it centered. I'm definately gonna mark 2 dots on each side though, like that goofy sounding guy in the video did, hehe. Aww he makes me laugh.

My dad won't want anything bigger, because he just wants to hunt deer with it. Oh and turkeys. I'm the one who wants to shoot the bear that is running around at the farm, hehe.
DesertRat

Post by DesertRat »

Unless you really want to spend the money on a new bow, why not stay with your Vixen? I see in the pics that you have magtips so just slap a fastflight string on and shoot some carbon bolts and bingo, 285 fps. I know plenty of people that hunt moose and bear with a Vixen. If you slam em in the vitals from a reasonable range, the Vixen will be as deadly as Exomax.
[url=http://avatars.jurko.net][img]http://img1.jurko.net/avatar_17947.gif[/img][/url][url=http://avatars.jurko.net][img]http://img1.jurko.net/725352.gif[/img][/url][url=http://avatars.jurko.net][img]http://img1.jurko.net/01.jpg[/img][/url]
LoneWolf

Post by LoneWolf »

First off, welcome to the forum, TYE.

I know plenty of people that hunt moose and bear with a Vixen. If you slam em in the vitals from a reasonable range, the Vixen will be as deadly as Exomax.
What has been stated here is as true as it's gonna get.

I'd also like to add that if you should decide to go after moose and black bear with your Vixen, I strongly suggest and urge you to go with a heavier arrow/broadhead combination such as 20" 2219's tipped with 125 grain fixed broadheads.

Please do get to know the tool you are going to hunt with, as well as your ranges/ limits. And the only answer to that is to practice, practice, practice, and then practice some more. Do that and it will all come together for you, and it will pay off in the end when the buck of your dreams suddenly appears in front of you... I can guarantee you!... :wink:

take care and good luck!

LW
Ontario Trophy Bucks
TYE

Post by TYE »

Thanks for the welcome Lonewolf! :)

You can bet I'll be practising every day almost! Everyone is always like BLAH YOU DONT NEED PRACTICE ITS JUST A CROSSBOW. The heck with that, it takes practice too, and more practice, the better shots in the field you will be able to take, and less foolish wounding shots.
TYE

Post by TYE »

EDIT
Last edited by TYE on Sun Apr 03, 2005 7:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post by Guest »

Your welcome is becoming thinner with each post.
How about you post a pic of your head shot deer?? That would be great.
Last edited by Guest on Fri Apr 01, 2005 11:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.