Recently bought a Vixen, but sort of having some doubts.

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

TYE

Post by TYE »

Partikle wrote:
A.W wrote:TYE. If your dealer doesn't carry them then go elsewhere. Like I said try bj.
BJ ships anywhere. Why don't you drop him an email or phone him and then decide for yourself. His prices and service are second to none and he has the Phoenix. A ton of us have bought from him and everyone of us has been extremely happy! :D :D

Nick

BTW. There is not a deer on the planet that the vixen will not take down. Lots of guys hunt deer with compond bows that shot much slower then a vixen.
Yeah A.W. sent me a PM about this BJ guy. I might look into it.

If I was only hunting deer then I would stick with the Vixen, but I want hunt Moose and Bear with bow sometime soon if I can also. So that's why I'm leaning to getting a "bigger" crossbow. The Pheonix seems just right, because I borrowed an old Exocet which was 175lb draw weight and the guy lent it to another man who shot a moose with it a couple years ago. So I'm thinking the Pheonix would be just perfect for me. I'm 6'4" and about 180lbs, I don't think I could handle much more than the Pheonix offers. Especially because of my shoulder also. Shoulder is why I turned to buying a Crossbow instead of a Compound.
Partikle

Post by Partikle »

TYE wrote:I'm 6'4" and about 180lbs,
If your shoulder can take it, go for the Exocet 200. It's the same draw weight as the Exomag your interesting in getting. Then you will KNOW you have enough power. I have an Exomax and it's a little too much sometimes.

Good Luck. Call BJ and you will be very impressed with his prices and service.
TYE

Post by TYE »

Well, I think I'd prefer the Pheonix. But does this BJ dude have a website?
Herbinator

Post by Herbinator »

I just purchased a Phoenix through BJ. You can't go wrong with him!! Prices were great, service was, and still is great and he ships anywhere. I'm in Alberta and it only took a few days to reach me. However, if you want to be a loyal customer where you bought the Vixen, he should be able to order one. Good luck!

PS Get the Varizone scope!!
TYE

Post by TYE »

Exactly what all did you get in the "package" you got from BJ, and how much did you pay for it all? Another thing, how do you go about paying when you order from this BJ guy?

and again, does he have a website?
Digger

Post by Digger »

email or PM or phone bj after 4 pm and ask for a price He is #119 on the members list for PMs

Archery Plus
73 Madill Church Rd
Huntsville, ON
P1H 2J2
705-789-1208

[email protected]

Digger
Digger
2008 Y25 Relayer #593 Boo string, lumizone
2-1984 Relayer,
2-1992 Wolverine
Excal Phoenix, acudraw, VARizone
T.P. Titan TL4, acudraw 50, Varizone
Vixen, Steddy Eddy, Varizone
Martin Rage
Martin Jaguar
PSE Infinity
TYE

Post by TYE »

Okay Digger, thanks. I dropped this "BJ" guy an email.
GaryL

Post by GaryL »

Digger wrote:email or PM or phone bj after 4 pm and ask for a price He is #119 on the members list for PMs

Archery Plus
73 Madill Church Rd
Huntsville, ON
P1H 2J2
705-789-1208

[email protected]

Digger
No at this time bj has no web site..
Always learning!!
Home fer now!
ComfyBear

Post by ComfyBear »

The Phoenix is a nice bow, I own it as well as an Exocet and an Exomag. I wouldn't think twice using the Phoenix on any North American animal, with the exception of Alaskan Brown Bear.

Regarding BJ, I second A.W's comments. I live in Toronto, where I have 5 dealers, all within less than 1/2 drive, yet I have bought all my bows from bj. He must be doing something right. :wink: .
ComfyBear
Micro Axe 340, Matrix 380, Matrix 355, Matrix 350, Exocet 200
ComfyBear Strings
G5 Montecs 125gr., SlickTrick 125 gr. Magnums

To thine own self be true.
Remove thine mask Polonius.
Live thy truth, doth not be false to any man.
GREY OWL

Post by GREY OWL »

First welcome to the forum Tye, its the first I see of you on here. My opinion, Phoenix or Exocet, buy it from bj, advice from these guys on here is dead on right!!

Its also nice to see young guys like you taking an interest in hunting, (especially Xbows). Question???? How does a 17 year old have a bad shoulder?? Hockey, football ????

Grey Owl
Beaver

Post by Beaver »

I just bought a Vixen from bj. I got it on the 18th of this month. I am very pleased and impressed with the Vixen. :D

Just as a point of reference, my godson has a top line compound that is rated at 308 fps IBO. That means it will shoot 308 fps at 70 pounds draw weight and 30 inch draw length and no accessories on the bow or nothing on the string :shock: . That is a very powerful bow. He actually has a 28 inch draw. He has a peep sight, string silencers, and a nocking loop. He shoots a 425 grain carbon arrow. With his setup, he actually gets 262 fps. The last whitetail he killed was at 42 yards and he got a complete passthrough, ribs in and out, and the arrow went into the ground. He used a Rocked mechanical broadhead.

My Vixen is shooting an arrow that weighs 422 grains at the exact same 262 fps velocity and that is with string silencers. Your Vixen would compare to a top line 70 pound compound, 28 inch draw(the most common) with the same weight arrows and most folk would not hesitate to use a 70 pound compound for any hunting situation. :P

I am actually going to hunt with an arrow that weighs out at 410 grains at a velocity of 265 fps with my setup. I am going to use one sight pin dead on at 30 yards. I would not hesitate to take any deer or feral hog at or inside that 30 yards with my Vixen.

I am also experimenting with 4 blade winged broadheads and large cut mechanical heads, I want him down, fast. With 56 ft lbs of KE and .452 SS of momentum at 30 yards, no problem. :roll:

I could use a 455 grain, 2219, and get 60 ft lbs of Ke and .500 SS of momentum at 30 yards. :twisted: I have never hunted big stuff like brown bear, moose, or elk, but, I have read the stories of folk that hunt these critters in the many bowhunting magazines. Most of them speak of 60 or 70 pound compounds.

Add to that what Jim C said.
TYE

Post by TYE »

GREY OWL wrote:First welcome to the forum Tye, its the first I see of you on here. My opinion, Phoenix or Exocet, buy it from bj, advice from these guys on here is dead on right!!

Its also nice to see young guys like you taking an interest in hunting, (especially Xbows). Question???? How does a 17 year old have a bad shoulder?? Hockey, football ????

Grey Owl
Snowboarding.... So far this winter I have managed 2 concussions and 2 dislocated shoulders, I did all of that in less than one week... Also smashed my knee pretty good on Monday. But that's where the bad shoulder has come from, dislocating it twice this year, and once a few years ago.
Golden Eagle

Post by Golden Eagle »

Welcome Tye. You would definately be happy with bj's service. I live in the States and ordered from him. :wink:
TYE

Post by TYE »

Beaver wrote:I just bought a Vixen from bj. I got it on the 18th of this month. I am very pleased and impressed with the Vixen. :D

Just as a point of reference, my godson has a top line compound that is rated at 308 fps IBO. That means it will shoot 308 fps at 70 pounds draw weight and 30 inch draw length and no accessories on the bow or nothing on the string :shock: . That is a very powerful bow. He actually has a 28 inch draw. He has a peep sight, string silencers, and a nocking loop. He shoots a 425 grain carbon arrow. With his setup, he actually gets 262 fps. The last whitetail he killed was at 42 yards and he got a complete passthrough, ribs in and out, and the arrow went into the ground. He used a Rocked mechanical broadhead.

My Vixen is shooting an arrow that weighs 422 grains at the exact same 262 fps velocity and that is with string silencers. Your Vixen would compare to a top line 70 pound compound, 28 inch draw(the most common) with the same weight arrows and most folk would not hesitate to use a 70 pound compound for any hunting situation. :P

I am actually going to hunt with an arrow that weighs out at 410 grains at a velocity of 265 fps with my setup. I am going to use one sight pin dead on at 30 yards. I would not hesitate to take any deer or feral hog at or inside that 30 yards with my Vixen.

I am also experimenting with 4 blade winged broadheads and large cut mechanical heads, I want him down, fast. With 56 ft lbs of KE and .452 SS of momentum at 30 yards, no problem. :roll:

I could use a 455 grain, 2219, and get 60 ft lbs of Ke and .500 SS of momentum at 30 yards. :twisted: I have never hunted big stuff like brown bear, moose, or elk, but, I have read the stories of folk that hunt these critters in the many bowhunting magazines. Most of them speak of 60 or 70 pound compounds.

Add to that what Jim C said.
Hmm... :shock:
TYE

Post by TYE »

Oh yeah. Thanks for all the welcomes! :D Everyone here seems like a great bunch of people. Quick answers for sure, hehe. I actually only live about 2.5-3 hours from Huntsville where BJ is apparently.

Waiting on BJ's reply to my email for a price on the Pheonix.