Recently bought a Vixen, but sort of having some doubts.

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

TYE

Recently bought a Vixen, but sort of having some doubts.

Post by TYE »

I bought a Vixen maybe a week ago or so, but I'm sort of thinking of selling it to my dad and buying the ExoMag.

I'm 17 years old whether that helps or not... but I'm thinking that maybe the Vixen doesn't have much power or speed. I want to hunt deer with it mostly. But if the chance came about to hunt bear or moose with the bow, I'm not too sure if the Vixen would be strong enough for them.

I've been seriously thinking, cuz my dad is gonna buy one too, but I thought maybe when he guys one, I'll pay the extra and get the ExoMag maybe, and then give him my Vixen. I don't know if it's a good idea or not. My only problem I think about the ExoMag for me, would be releasing the string. I almost took my hand off releasing an Exocet last year.

Another thing is I got the moon knocks on my bolts with the Vixen. They shot fine for me. Dead on at 20 yards. But I've heard not to use them?

Anyways, what do ya'll think I should do? :?:
TYE

Post by TYE »

Also here are some pictures of my setup.

A.W

Post by A.W »

If you're having problems releasing the string then try it with gloves on.

Bare handed...Take hold of the string and make sure it's resting in the joints of your knuckles. This will help prevent the string from rolling in your hands and stripping any possibility of being identified by fingerprints. :lol: :wink:
[img]http://photobucket.com/albums/b38/allan_w_/th_tinybuck3hj1.gif[/img]

Exocet your options and exCalibur8 your sights.
Herbinator

Post by Herbinator »

Have you considered a Phoenix? It's about the same size as the Vixen, but more powerfull. You won't have any trouble taking down a moose or bear with it too. I like your bow rack!
TYE

Post by TYE »

Herbinator wrote:Have you considered a Phoenix? It's about the same size as the Vixen, but more powerfull. You won't have any trouble taking down a moose or bear with it too. I like your bow rack!
HEHE that "rack" is my weight bench, which I hardly use.... lol :oops:

My dealer only carries Vixens, ExoMag's and ExoMax's. I definately don't want the ExoMax, hehe. My dad can't even pull that thing back.

I'm either sticking with my Vixen, or getting the ExoMag. I just don't know if I should switch or not.
A.W

Post by A.W »

If you're in the market for another Excal then check with bj here on the forum. He has a store in Huntsville. He has good prices and is a gent.

[email protected]

TYE

Post by TYE »

I'll go through the same dealer as I did with the Vixen. I'm just debating whether to keep the Vixen or get the ExoMag instead.
Jim C

Post by Jim C »

I am an excalibur dealer. I can afford any crossbow I want. I hunt with a vixen. No need to use anything bigger on Ohio Deer. No need to have increased string wear. No need to have a bow that I would have difficulty cocking if I forget my rope cocker (I only use one for 3D-not hunting) I can cock my vixen on my ladder stand if I have to (and I spined a spiker a few years ago and I had to)

same quality trigger, same quality limbs as the more expensive bows and plenty of speed
TYE

Post by TYE »

Exactly how fast would you say my Vixen will shoot then?

I have no doubts about hunting deer with my Vixen, just if I decide to go hunt moose or black bear this fall.
A.W

Post by A.W »

TYE

Post by TYE »

Hmm....
TYE

Post by TYE »

I'm liking that Pheonix, but my dealer don't carry those... :(
A.W

Post by A.W »

TYE. If your dealer doesn't carry them then go elsewhere. Like I said try bj.

TYE

Post by TYE »

Too far.... Maybe I'll call and see if I can order one through them.

I bought my Vixen at Saugeen Shafts.
Partikle

Post by Partikle »

A.W wrote:TYE. If your dealer doesn't carry them then go elsewhere. Like I said try bj.
BJ ships anywhere. Why don't you drop him an email or phone him and then decide for yourself. His prices and service are second to none and he has the Phoenix. A ton of us have bought from him and everyone of us has been extremely happy! :D :D

Nick

BTW. There is not a deer on the planet that the vixen will not take down. Lots of guys hunt deer with compond bows that shot much slower then a vixen.