Afternoon turkeys

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

BUCKSHOT

Aft Hunt

Post by BUCKSHOT »

I was listening to some info about Turkey and the fellow said that the birds will come off the roost at first daylight, head out to their forraging area and do the job for a couple of hours.
In mid-day, this fella said they would hang up some where cool like near a stream, usually where there might be some nice dry sand where they can dust themselves. Later in the day(mid to late afternoon) they go for another forrage before heading back to the roosting area.
If you can find an area with a decent stand of trees, some water, and feed you'll find the Turkeys.
I know that is pretty vague, but if you can figure out the travel route, the birds will not be too far off at that given time of day!
Of coarse old Tom will be busy following the girls and keeping the Jakes at bay, if you can find out where the Hens are, you will surely find the fellas. Remember it won't be easy to get him to leave the company of a couple of hens to come find a single, so using the other Hens would really help.
Apparently they can travel a pretty fair ways in the coarse of a day.
This is second hand info, and I hope it helps. Perhaps someone can actually answer your Questions for ya'! :wink:
Enjoy the Harvest!
Adrian J Hare

Post by Adrian J Hare »

Afternoon hunting applies presure to bird numbers in alot of areas. Most turkeys are active in the first part of morning and then quit gobbling for most of the day. The more presure added to these none gobbling birds only resault in all day hushing. You will learn quick to hunt silent birds in Ontario this coming spring.

Working fielding areas is the best idea and stay away from roosting areas in the evening, this will only add to birds moving from roosting areas to roosting areas.

I just got back from Florida that has all day hunting and 6 out of 7 birds were killed around the 5:00PM time. I will be talking more about this at Carp on the weekend in the seminars I will be doing...BT
Ontario Hunting Lodge
http://z13.invisionfree.com/Ont_Hunting_Lodge/index.php?act=idx
Quickshot

Post by Quickshot »

Thanks for the info guys.
enjoy the woods
Doug
Vince

Post by Vince »

Hey QuickShot and any other Ontario turkey hunters:

Pick-up the April issue of Ontario Out of Doors;

They have a featured article: Adjusting to all-day turkey hunting
TYE

Post by TYE »

Vince wrote:Hey QuickShot and any other Ontario turkey hunters:

Pick-up the April issue of Ontario Out of Doors;

They have a featured article: Adjusting to all-day turkey hunting
Got it... Got a subsciption to the magazine. Haven't read the whole article yet though.