Noise question.....

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

globemountain

Noise question.....

Post by globemountain »

Concerning noise....How does an Excalibur compare to TenPoint, Parker, Horton and the rest. Is Excalibur any quieter than the others?
Galgo

Post by Galgo »

I fired 10 point and horton compound cross bows and found them both quieter than Excalibur...but I still purchased an excalibur exocet 200 though. Many other factors outweighed the noise and size factors which are the only two negatives I could come up with.

F
wildwindom

Post by wildwindom »

I have the stealth x2 from ten point and just got the phoenix and i think the phoenix is quiter just my 2cents worth!!
[img]http://i463.photobucket.com/albums/qq352/1garywindom/bones.jpg[/img]
08 VORTEX
FFF STRING
LUMI-ZONE
GT LAZER II
100 GRAIN SLICK TRICKS
brayhaven

Post by brayhaven »

I always wonder what the question of noise in crossbows is all about. Does it really matter? Is it loud enough that you need ear plugs? Is it distracting? It will never be quiet enough that the deer won't hear it. I don't even use the "silencer" bars on mine. Just something to catch brush & add weight. Not being picky or disrespectful here; I'm just curious as to what the fascination is with crossbow noise & why it's important to some folks?? :?
Greg
GaryL

Post by GaryL »

If you are shooting your crossbow close enough such as 10 - 20 yards and you are doing at lest 280fps none. The same crossbow at 30 yards could alert the deer with the slight noise it would hear and let it jump the string.

However this being stated most have nutten to worry about at 285fps or more making a shot at a un-elert deer 30+ yard deer or critter. Most of the noise is only what the shooter hears at the stock as your ear is against the stock.

I have proven this with a tape player at my side, at 10 yards, 20 yards, and 30 yards. If you are worried about what the deer may hear try it and you can see for your self. However the faster the crossbow the less chance of string jump VS noise.... :D
Always learning!!
Home fer now!
wabi

Post by wabi »

brayhaven wrote:I always wonder what the question of noise in crossbows is all about. Does it really matter? Is it loud enough that you need ear plugs? Is it distracting? It will never be quiet enough that the deer won't hear it. I don't even use the "silencer" bars on mine. Just something to catch brush & add weight. Not being picky or disrespectful here; I'm just curious as to what the fascination is with crossbow noise & why it's important to some folks?? :?
Greg
Have to agree on this one! I, also, took the DB's off my Exocet. I like to un-string my crossbow when I'm not going to use it the next day, so I find it much easier to not have to fool around with the DB pads. As for noise, it really doesn't seem much louder without them, and the deer are going to hear it either way, so why worry about it? I use a dacron string in the off-season for target shooting, and although it's quieter that's not the primary reason for using it. For deer hunting the fastflight string goes on and the few extra fps help stretch the ethical yardage a little. The Exocet IS going to make noise - the deer WILL react to it - so I go for the maximum velocity from my crossbow for hunting!
wabi
maddog

Post by maddog »

brayhaven wrote:I always wonder what the question of noise in crossbows is all about. Does it really matter? Just something to catch brush & add weight. Not being picky or disrespectful here; I'm just curious as to what the fascination is with crossbow noise & why it's important to some folks?? :?
Greg
I so-o-o agree with this.....Relative noise levels between Xbows is irrelavant. My opinion after 45 years of hunting deer with all types of bows.
Woody Williams

Post by Woody Williams »

It's the LAST noise the deer wil ever hear....

Except maybe a....

WAHOOOO!!
Woody Williams

We have met the enemy and he is us - Pogo Possum

Hunting in Indiana at [size=84][color=Red][b][url=http://huntingindiana.proboards52.com]HUNT-INDIANA[/url][/b][/color][/size]
LoneWolf

Post by LoneWolf »

Woody Williams wrote:It's the LAST noise the deer wil ever hear....
...and it won't even be aware of the fact that it's just had a pointy stick put through it's vitals.

LW
Ontario Trophy Bucks
Richard

Post by Richard »

I think that most compound crossbows are more quiet but when I look at the whole thing I would never trade my Excals against other bows. Excal crossbows are one of the few things you really can depend on!!!
(There may be one or two points in which compounds are better but 100 points Excalibur is far better than the rest. :wink: )
terry-1

cbow

Post by terry-1 »

After 5 years of using a Exocet 90+ days a year in field conditions from 10 degree to 90 degree temp's hunting deer,hogs, and turkey and it still works like new, I think it is the best crossbow ever made. It has never broke down after 1000's of shots and all I have ever done is replace a few strings myself at home. I keep thinking I need a new crossbow just because it is 5 years old and I now how hard and rough I hunt with it every year, but I guess it will just keep on going as it shows no major signs of wear anywhere on the Cbow. No loss of speed I can tell still in the 290's FPS with my heavy carbon bolts like it was when brand new. It Still will put any fixed broadhead/hunting bolt I try in a 2inch dot at 25 yards. As far as noise I have bagged over 15 deer inclueding 6 large mature bucks which hang on my wall now out to 30 yard shots and not one deer has moved,jump string yet. I don't think the noise is much if any of a factor myself. My first Cbow was another name brand compound crossbow which I wore out in 1 year of hunting and shooting. I had to replace the cables twice from wear, replace several strings,and every screw on the Cbow worked lose all the time from heavy shooting. I think this old Cbow would have lasted the average hunter maybe 3 years as I do shoot year around and hunt alot of days being a farmer. during season I can walk out the back door and go hunting at will on my farm so I hunt far more than the average person gets to.
brayhaven

Post by brayhaven »

GaryL wrote:If you are shooting your crossbow close enough such as 10 - 20 yards and you are doing at lest 280fps none. The same crossbow at 30 yards could alert the deer with the slight noise it would hear and let it jump the string.

I have proven this with a tape player at my side, at 10 yards, 20 yards, and 30 yards. If you are worried about what the deer may hear try it and you can see for your self. However the faster the crossbow the less chance of string jump VS noise.... :D
But, does it really matter, the sound level. All sound travels at the same speed, so the deer hears it just as quickly at 10 decibels as 20. He can also hear you drop a toothpick at 50 yards (or any bow release an arrow). You are right, of course about the distance increasing the time between the sound reaching him and the arrow getting there. Having said that, I have never had a case of string jump in many years of bowhunting including a bunch of shots with recurves. I've heard people talk about it but never really knew whether the deer jumped at another noise he made or movement, scent etc just as the guy shot. I'd be curious to know if anyone here has experienced it.

Roughly though, @ 300 fps, the arrow will get there in about a 3rd of a second (30 yd shot), the sound will get there in roughly a tenth of a second so the deer has about a 5th of a second, MOL, to hear the sound, determine it's a threat, and move out of the killing zone. It would take a pretty athletic deer to accomplish that. Of course I never was good at math & these numbers are very "ball park". :lol: