Exocet Upgrades

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Vince

Exocet Upgrades

Post by Vince »

Hi,

I bought my 165 lb carved limb Exocet back in 99.
Since then, i've upgraded it to Dissipitor Bars, Mag Tip limbs, FF string and improved it's overall performance.

At the Carp Sportmans Show, i was told the new Exocet 200 is not actually 'new' but an improvement over the Exocet. And the only difference between the Exocet and Exocet 200 is the forward mount limb system.

Is this upgrade available for my current Exocet?

I understand that if i buy a Phoenix, i can change-out the limb mounting hardware between the Phoenix and my Exocet and end-up with an Exocet 200 and a Vixen.
Is this correct?
Partikle

Re: Exocet Upgrades

Post by Partikle »

Vince wrote:I understand that if i buy a Phoenix, i can change-out the limb mounting hardware between the Phoenix and my Exocet and end-up with an Exocet 200 and a Vixen.
Is this correct?
As far as draw weight and feet per second, yes this is correct.
LoneWolf

Post by LoneWolf »

Vince wrote:Hi,

I bought my 165 lb carved limb Exocet back in 99.
Since then, i've upgraded it to Dissipitor Bars, Mag Tip limbs, FF string and improved it's overall performance.

At the Carp Sportmans Show, i was told the new Exocet 200 is not actually 'new' but an improvement over the Exocet. And the only difference between the Exocet and Exocet 200 is the forward mount limb system.

Is this upgrade available for my current Exocet?

I understand that if i buy a Phoenix, i can change-out the limb mounting hardware between the Phoenix and my Exocet and end-up with an Exocet 200 and a Vixen.
Is this correct?
Please correct me if I'm wrong here.... With a 165# Exocet with one of the new risers mounted to it would up your Exocet's poundage up to a 190# crossbow. The rail deck is only 15 inches in lentgh on your Exocet as opposed to the 175# Exocets, which have a 15".5 long rail deck which would make it a 200# Exocet with the new riser. But you are correct about having a Vixen if your old riser was to be mounted on the Phoenix...
Last edited by LoneWolf on Sun Apr 10, 2005 8:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ontario Trophy Bucks
Partikle

Post by Partikle »

LoneWolf wrote: With a 165# Exocet with one of the new risers mounted to it would up your Exocet's poundage up to a 190# crossbow. The rail deck is only 15 inches in lentgh on your Exocet as opposed to the 175# Exocets, which have a 15".5 long rail deck which would make it a 200# Exocet.
I'm not aware of the rail length on the older models but he said he upgraded to the new magtip limbs. So if it was a shorter rail length then the new model would he have somewhere around a 190# exocet?
Last edited by Partikle on Sun Apr 10, 2005 8:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
LoneWolf

Post by LoneWolf »

Partikle wrote: So if it was a shorter rail length then the new model would he have somewhere around a 190# exocet?
Yep.... 190#...that sounds about right!.
Ontario Trophy Bucks
LoneWolf

Post by LoneWolf »

My brother's first Excalibur was a 2001 165# Exocet with mag tips and he was getting about 285 fps out of it with 2213's and a fff string if I'm not mistaking... :)
Ontario Trophy Bucks
Partikle

Post by Partikle »

Vince,

I'd be interested in hearing the measurement of the draw weight on that bow and then the arrow velocity. If your still interested in a new riser you could probably get one custom made. My buddy is a mechanist and when he saw my exomax he said it would be pretty simple to machine a riser like that.

The only thing is, it might be a lot of work/expense for just a couple of more feet per second. It sounds like you have a nice set up right now. Which camo do you have on that bow?
GaryL

Post by GaryL »

Ok fellows here is what you need to be-aware of....First the New Forward Limb Risers will not fit the the older rails that has the cast riser. The Newer Forward risers are smaller in width at the base.
Always learning!!
Home fer now!
LoneWolf

Post by LoneWolf »

Thanks for pointing that out GaryL...

That's something I wasn't aware of, but now I am!...

I guess he would have to change rails as well for it to work...

LW...
Ontario Trophy Bucks
Vince

Post by Vince »

OK, thanks for the info guys.

So, the older models (with cast riser) have a wider rail and won't accept the slimmer machined risers...makes sense.

The reason for my inquiry was two-fold:

1. My dad is interested in a xbow. He's tried my Exocet and physically, he can draw it back.
However, he's around 5' 7" with a bit of a paunch and struggles to get his body up and over the length of my Exocet to draw it back.

2. Up the performance of my current Exocet (whether it became a 190 or 200 lb xbow was inconsequential).

I figured, if i got him the shorter Phoenix and changed-out the riser with my Exocet, he'd end-up with a Vixen, a perfect deer xbow that would be easier to draw.......and i would end-up with something between an Exocet and an Exocet 200.

Kinda like....two birds with one stone
ComfyBear

Post by ComfyBear »

GaryL wrote:Ok fellows here is what you need to be-aware of....First the New Forward Limb Risers will not fit the the older rails that has the cast riser. The Newer Forward risers are smaller in width at the base.
Gary I think you're mistaken. At the time that I attended the Excalibur Open House, I asked if I could upgrade the older 165# Exocet cast riser with the newer machined riser. Bill T., himself, told me that it could be done. It was with the Wolverine that it wasn't possible.
ComfyBear
Micro Axe 340, Matrix 380, Matrix 355, Matrix 350, Exocet 200
ComfyBear Strings
G5 Montecs 125gr., SlickTrick 125 gr. Magnums

To thine own self be true.
Remove thine mask Polonius.
Live thy truth, doth not be false to any man.
Digger

Post by Digger »

ComfyBear
Gary I think you're mistaken. At the time that I attended the Excalibur Open House, I asked if I could upgrade the older 165# Exocet cast riser with the newer machined riser. Bill T., himself, told me that it could be done. It was with the Wolverine that it wasn't possible.
None of my Wolverines woud take a riser made after 1992 they were to narrrow and wobbled on the Wolverine rail.

Digger
Digger
2008 Y25 Relayer #593 Boo string, lumizone
2-1984 Relayer,
2-1992 Wolverine
Excal Phoenix, acudraw, VARizone
T.P. Titan TL4, acudraw 50, Varizone
Vixen, Steddy Eddy, Varizone
Martin Rage
Martin Jaguar
PSE Infinity
GaryL

Post by GaryL »

I tried one of my new risers on my 185# and it was too narrow, I tried it on my 200# and no problem a MAX.. If it's a xbow with a machined riser ie: 150, 175, 200 it fits. Could be just my 185# but they won't fit it. And as Digger stated sure wont fit the Wolverine either.

Just tried to fit the forward limb riser on my 165# and the same thing, the new riser is too small(narrow) at will not fit down complety has a tilt to left or right as the rail will not go in the riser slot.. :?
Always learning!!
Home fer now!
ComfyBear

Post by ComfyBear »

Well Gary, seeing is believeing. It just makes me wonder why Bill told me otherwise. Something doesn't add up.
ComfyBear
Micro Axe 340, Matrix 380, Matrix 355, Matrix 350, Exocet 200
ComfyBear Strings
G5 Montecs 125gr., SlickTrick 125 gr. Magnums

To thine own self be true.
Remove thine mask Polonius.
Live thy truth, doth not be false to any man.
GaryL

Post by GaryL »

Got that right ComfyBear, tolerances must be tighter. I have some room to move a little with the cast risers but tighter fit with the machined risers. The newer risers are about 1/16" too small.... :shock: at lest on the one's I have. May be different with some :? Have you tried it :?: not putting you on the spot but would like ta know. :D
Always learning!!
Home fer now!