Best locator call

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Shakky

Best locator call

Post by Shakky »

I have been using a crow locator call for Turkey and it dosen't work at least not for me. I have been using the "Crankin Crow by Quaker Boy" and it sure dosen't sound like any crow I've ever herd and the Turkey's won't respond. Does an Owl call work better? Or is there a better crow call out there? Thanks for your help.
LoneWolf

Post by LoneWolf »

lol...I hear ya!...

My crow call is from H & S Strut and that crow call sounds kinda out of whack too, like a really sick crow..

My buddy has an owl call and we had responses with that call last year, I'm gonna be picking one of them up for this season.

I've heard that a Hawk call works pretty good to locate them as well, can't find any though...
Ontario Trophy Bucks
A.W

Post by A.W »

LoneWolf wrote: I've heard that a Hawk call works pretty good to locate them as well, can't find any though...
Don't know if you have a store near you LW.

I was in the Toronto LaBarons store a couple of weeks ago and they had some hawk calls.
[img]http://photobucket.com/albums/b38/allan_w_/th_tinybuck3hj1.gif[/img]

Exocet your options and exCalibur8 your sights.
LoneWolf

Post by LoneWolf »

A.W wrote:
Don't know if you have a store near you LW.

I was in the Toronto LaBarons store a couple of weeks ago and they had some hawk calls.
Thanks alot A.W.!

I'm gonna go over there tomorrow to get an Owl call, and I'll see if they have the Hawk calls at their store here in Ottawa while I'm at it..

That's one you should try, Shakky..

LW
Ontario Trophy Bucks
chessy

Post by chessy »

the best locator call for us is a peacock,pilliated wood pecker call combo... it works like a charm
Golden Eagle

Post by Golden Eagle »

My P.S. Olt crow call works good. It is very high pitched. I never had much luck with the Owl Hooter on the other side of the coin. To tell you the truth, you can just blow very hard and loud on your Turkey mouth call trying not to imitate any Turkey sounds and get good responces.
BUCKSHOT

A thought

Post by BUCKSHOT »

Last season was my first hunt for Turkeys, I was fortunate enough to witness a small flock in the middle of a large field. They were strutting around and doing there thing! I saw several crows fly over in say 1/2 hour and everytime the crows called the Toms responded. That is actually what got me on to their location!
I don't know about other calls, but I have been playing around with a crow call I got from Wabi! It works great for getting a response from crows and ravens, if you play with it you can imitate both sounds pretty clearly! I can only assume that if the crows and ravens are fooled, the turkeys will be as well, so that will be my locator call!
Wabi's calls are easy to use and well made, in my opinion, even if it worked as well as a store bought, you can't beat the handcrafted tools of the trade, as there is just something appealing about it!
Just my .02 for ya' :wink:
Enjoy the Harvest!
brayhaven

Post by brayhaven »

If the gobblers are really hot, they will respond to about anything, including the slamming of a car door :lol: . The best crow call locator I've ever used is the Woods Wise "Crow Magnum". Great sound & lots of volume. The owl & peacock calls are fine too but the owl is a little harder to play well. Sometimes, near the end of the season when most of the hens are bred, and things are quietig down, you may have to just use a good loud box call. Sometimes that's the only thing they will respond to. Just be ready to set up instantly if you get an answer.
Greg
A.W

Post by A.W »

chessy wrote:peacock,pilliated wood pecker call combo...
I wouldn't want to try saying that after a couple of Scotch's. :lol:
[img]http://photobucket.com/albums/b38/allan_w_/th_tinybuck3hj1.gif[/img]

Exocet your options and exCalibur8 your sights.
Brampton Mike

Re: Best locator call

Post by Brampton Mike »

Shakky wrote:I have been using a crow locator call for Turkey and it dosen't work at least not for me. I have been using the "Crankin Crow by Quaker Boy" and it sure dosen't sound like any crow I've ever herd and the Turkey's won't respond. Does an Owl call work better? Or is there a better crow call out there? Thanks for your help.

:shock: :shock: :shock: What...I have the same call & it is one of the BEST locater calls I have....when all else fails I resort to my Cranking Crow Call....I also have on Owl call which is great before sun up & I also have a peacock call which hasn't produced a single response for me!!!!!!! Like I said....the Cranking Crow Call is my #1 go to locater call!!!!!!! :wink: Brampton Mike 8)
If I can't hunt & fish in heaven....then I don't want to go!!!!!!!!!!

Vegetarian..............old Indian word for lousy hunter!