Tricky Question ???

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

PRB

Tricky Question ???

Post by PRB »

I have done some research but cant seem to find an answer.
I was wondering if anyone might know some kind of average rate that a deer can drop in inches per second (string jump).
I know that when a deer hears the bow that they can squat and move in less than a full second. I'm looking for an average rate that if the deer was to drop for a full second then how many inches would that be at the rate they drop ?
I'm sure that there is some variables in speed from deer to deer but should be pretty close to the same. But thats why I would like to either know the fastest or slowest one could drop or an average.
I hope the question I'm asking makes sense.
Thanks
Life Is Too Short !!! Live For The Moment !!!
GaryL

Post by GaryL »

PRB not too bust a bubble or nutten like that, I think you question is on the moot side for a number of reasons.

1 - Distance to deer/critter 0 - 35 yards for normal shot although some would take a 40 yard shot if the conditions were right. One would have to have a lazer beam across the deers back/body and many measuring points vertical in order to measure the amount of drop the deer might make. This would have to be done from say 10 yards out to what ever.

2 - Not all deer would react the same, so any results would be only a very unreliable guide line.

3 - Best bet is to know your yardage, and not try and take a shot the deer could duck/jump shot....un-alert deer at a shoot able range.... And of course a Excalibur crossbow :D
Always learning!!
Home fer now!
PRB

Post by PRB »

No bubble busted GaryL.
I figured it wouldnt hurt to ask. :lol:
Thanks for the advice.
PRB

Post by PRB »

I couldn't find the article I found on the web but I think it was the best answer so far. The guy said that most of bow hunting is about being able to "read" the deer. He said some people just don't have the ability for doing that.
I personally don't feel I'll have a major problem with that. But like always there are those surprises. Here is another answer I got from another forum :
http://www.tndeer.com/ubb/NonCGI/ultima ... 2;t=004593
Its an interesting topic but I think Ive exhausted all the info I could before posting the question. I also think that its just a matter of being able to read the deer and good old experience :D
Thanks again Gary
GaryL

Post by GaryL »

Sure read that PRB, and it made sense plus facts to back it up. It was with an alert deer. Sure would have liked to seen how they where able to measure the amount of drop.
Always learning!!
Home fer now!
PRB

Post by PRB »

The following info is different and is separated by a :D
The first is from Bill T. and his article. The next is from another individual. The third is from me. I did have this big spill all typed out but lost it when going from page to page and doing copy and paste.
Anyway I found that the average "RATE" that a deer can drop is from 4" to 6" in 1/10th of a second.
From another set of info it came to around 5" to 8" per 1/10th of a second.
You can tear this info apart with many different hunting situations. I do hope that this information will help someone else. It did answer my question for my hunting situations.
No matter how you look at it. Speed does matter at distances around 35 to 40 yards. However those with a lot of BOW hunting experience can shoot what they want to at a certain distance at speeds of 230 fps for example. I know many of you already knew that but I wanted to do some figuring myself. Hope this info helps someone.
Thanks.
:D
The chart below represents actual flight times out to 50 yards in 10-yard
increments. I will assume a 10% reduction in velocity at the 50 yard mark.

10 YD 20 YD 30 YD 40 YD 50 YD

250 FPS .12 .25 .37 .50

.63 Seconds

325 FPS .09 .19 .29 .39 .48 Seconds

Now, lets factor out the speed of sound @ 1150 FPS. The next table has the
time it takes for the sound to arrive subtracted from the flight time.

250 FPS .09 .20 .29 .40 .50 Seconds

325 FPS .06 .14 .21 .29 .35 Seconds

Sound Time .026 .052 .078 .104 .130 Seconds

Ok, we now know the periods of time that a deer can react if he isn't
actually watching you shoot. Now let's subtract the deer's supposed reaction
time @ .15 seconds.

250 FPS -.06 .05 .14 .25 .35

325 FPS -.09 -.01 .06 .14 .20

250 fps 350 fps Sound

20 yds .24 sec .17 sec .05 sec

30 yds .36 sec .25 sec .08 sec

40 yds .48 sec .34 sec .11 sec

I wanted to ask a question to someone such as yourself with all the years of
experience you have. I'm sure that through the years you have tryed to
calculate different arrow speeds, arrow drop, kinetic energy, ect...Here's
my point. I have calculated many different ways, the difference between the
exomax and vixen. I'm useing 275fps and 350fps.as examples for the results
below.

275 FPS---90ft(30yards) divided by (drop in velocity)258.98 fps = .348 of a
second
275FPS---120ft(40yards) divided by (drop in velocity)253.84 fps = .473 of a
second

350FPS---90ft(30yards) divided by (drop in velocity)330.27 = .273 of a
second
350FPS---120ft(40yards) divided by (drop in velocity)323.94 = .370 of a
second

The difference between the two bow speeds at 30 yards is .075 of a second
yards is .103 of a second
Thus the difference between the exomax and the vixen at 40 yards is
1/10th of a second.
maddog

Re: Tricky Question ???

Post by maddog »

Pineyriverbuck wrote:I have done some research but cant seem to find an answer.
I was wondering if anyone might know some kind of average rate that a deer can drop in inches per second (string jump).

Thanks
A deer cannot "drop" at a rate greater than the pull of gravity. The distance it drops is 1/2 x 32.2 x Time squared. Reaction time of a deer is about 1/10 sec. ( the time it reacts to a sound)
You now need to know the Time factor which will be the time it takes the arrow to travel the required distance. This is dependent on arrow speed. Knowing Arrow speed and distance to target, drop can be determined.
My calculations show that the distance a deer drops at about 30 yards with the arrow speed of my Xmag is about 1 inch. At 45 yards the drop is about 6 inches.....probably a wound shot missing the vital organs.
Up to about 20 yards, the deer does not have enough time to react to the sound of the shot and "string jump" is NOT a factor!
I hope this helps in what you were wondering.
PRB

Post by PRB »

A deer cannot "drop" at a rate greater than the pull of gravity. The distance it drops is 1/2 x 32.2 x Time squared. Reaction time of a deer is about 1/10 sec. ( the time it reacts to a sound)
You now need to know the Time factor which will be the time it takes the arrow to travel the required distance. This is dependent on arrow speed. Knowing Arrow speed and distance to target, drop can be determined.
My calculations show that the distance a deer drops at about 30 yards with the arrow speed of my Xmag is about 1 inch. At 45 yards the drop is about 6 inches.....probably a wound shot missing the vital organs.
Up to about 20 yards, the deer does not have enough time to react to the sound of the shot and "string jump" is NOT a factor!
I hope this helps in what you were wondering.
Thank you very much maddog. I had one other person mention what you did but I never did get a response back. Its also why I said that if a deer drops (if they drop at all) then it should always be pretty much the same speed. But how far they drop will be different.

So I would like to ask you maddog.
What would the distance a deer could drop at 30 and 45 yards be if I was shooting 270 fps ? I tried your numbers but I'm lucky to have typed this much :wink:
wabi

Post by wabi »

The numbers are impressive, but I have a hard time remembering all of them. I just try to remember - get close, get real close :lol:
Not making light of the calculations, but I find with an arrow at 300 fps (or more) 30 yards seems to be a safe distance. With less speed 25 yards might be a more practical max.
wabi
PRB

Post by PRB »

I couldn't agree more with you wabi. Thats why I have already taken the subject up with maddog in PM and email. I posted this question for my personal knowledge. There is no need to remember any of the numbers. Its not needed.
I grew up shooting a shotgun and a 22 rifle. Because of all the hunting I did I always knew the limits of them both. I never knew and still don't know much about different calibers and other info about rifles and shotguns. I do know what I can do with mine.
With my brother as my witness when we was youngsters we was walking home from out of the woods and a crow started raising cain many yards back away from us high upon a tree. I looked at my brother and said "do you think I can get him" he said "try it " I looked through the open sights of the 22 and must have shot somewhere between 10 to 15 feet above the crow to adjust for the drop. I shot and we waited and like a long delayed reaction we heard the thump and straight down went the crow. Lucky shot ? Yeah I guess.
With God as my witness when I was a little older a bunch of quail flew up like they usually do and I sat there waiting for the remaining few to come up and shot 2 of the 3 quail in flight with the 22. Not all at one time mind you. A couple flew up and I picked one and got him. Two more flew up individually and I got the next one but missed the last one. I missed the 3rd one because I think I started choking :wink: Yes I was a cracker jack shot back then. I also shot a couple of rabbits on the run with the 22. I remember when I was big enough to start shooting the shotgun..."WOW this is like shooting a cannon with thousands of 22 shots" It made it so much easier to shoot the rabbit quail and pheasant. I wouldn't even think of trying that cracker jack shots now. But again I knew what I could do with my shotgun and 22.
This crossbow (archery) thing is totally different for me and I don't have the time to go out and shoot and practice shooting birds rabbit and deer to get the constant practice that I use to get when I was younger. So I really wanted to know the exact limitations of my bow under the worst case situation. This information is for my personal help. I hope it will also help someone else.
I would also advise to anyone to get the fastest bow they possibly can that they feel comfortable with. The FASTER the BETTER.
I know this is all these numbers are a bunch of mumbo-jumbo but I just wanted to know and this was the best way I knew of to reach out to several people until I found someone that could help. Thank you all very much for all your help.
Partikle

Post by Partikle »

Read this and watch the slow motion video. It's amazing how fast a deer can react.

http://www.bowsite.com/BOWSITE/features ... ngjumping/
GaryL

Post by GaryL »

Thanks fer the link Partikle.... :D
Always learning!!
Home fer now!