Bad weather Turkey

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Shakky

Bad weather Turkey

Post by Shakky »

It looks like it's going to rain for the next few days here. Any point hunting Turkeys in the rain or is it a waste of time? Thanks, Shawn.
Armadias

Post by Armadias »

Nawwww go out and get wet with the rest of us :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Bob
SHOREhunter

Post by SHOREhunter »

hey, i went out scouting with some buddys of mine this morning... it was really crapy out....we did a few locator calls and got a few gobbles, it was also really tough because of all the wind, we saw about 4 out in the field we're going to hunt this monday and it was pouring down rain...so it seems they dont mind being out in bad weather.......

zack shore
ComfyBear

Post by ComfyBear »

The turkey might not mind getting wet, but the way I figure I got to the end of May to hunt and I'm not in any hurry to get wet and miserable, not to mention chances at getting a decent shot in the rain will be between slim and none. I don't know about anyone else, but early mornings will see me warm in bed until Wednesday anyway.
ComfyBear
Micro Axe 340, Matrix 380, Matrix 355, Matrix 350, Exocet 200
ComfyBear Strings
G5 Montecs 125gr., SlickTrick 125 gr. Magnums

To thine own self be true.
Remove thine mask Polonius.
Live thy truth, doth not be false to any man.
GaryL

Post by GaryL »

That's a lot of sleep or something ComfyBear"but early mornings will see me warm in bed until Wednesday " :twisted: :wink:
Always learning!!
Home fer now!
wabi

Post by wabi »

I tried it this morning, and we sure had some miserable weather here in southern Ohio. A steady hard drizzle, with even some snow mixed in. I toughed it out in my Doghouse blind with my little Coleman catylitic heater and a thermos of hot coffee for a few hours :lol: :lol: :lol:
I got in the blind, arranged my stuff, and inflated a jake decoy just after daylight. I unzipped the door to get out and set the decoy out, but 3 hens were headed toward the blind, so I ducked back inside. A gobbler followed the hens, but never got close enough for a good shot. After they left I set the decoy out, then settled in and poured a cup of coffee. When I looked out again there were 6 more turkeys in sight in different directions. I had one hen scratch & feed for over 1/2 hour within 10 yards of the blind. I lost count, but I'm sure there were at least a dozen different hens and a couple gobblers within 75-100 yards of me this morning. Never had a good shot at a gobbler though, so I've got to tough it out again tomorrow :wink: And I only heard one gobble all morning? It was across the creek (water too high to cross this morning) and did not respond to calling! This turkey hinting sure is hard work, but the family has to eat :wink:
wabi
peter p

Post by peter p »

I've shot a lot of turkey in the rain.
They tend to stay in the roost longer when it rains.
They will gooble and then tuck their heads back under their wings and you can get closer to them and set up without them seeing you.
Brampton Mike

Post by Brampton Mike »

:D :D Yep the birds do tend to roost longer when the weather sucks....in the rain , they tend to head for the fields as their hearing in the bush is greatly impaired with all the noise from the rain & in the fields they can rely on their vision for protection....if it is raining Monday morning, i'll be set up on the edge of a field that i've seen the birds in almost every day....i'll be in my Doghouse Blind waiting!!!!!!!! :wink: Good luck to all........Brampton Mike 8)
If I can't hunt & fish in heaven....then I don't want to go!!!!!!!!!!

Vegetarian..............old Indian word for lousy hunter!
Shakky

Post by Shakky »

Thanks guys. I will be out there with the rest of you for the opener. They are calling for snow so that should make life interesting. A big thanks to Wabi. After seening what he did in the snow it should make it easier to get up tomorrow morning. Good luck everyone :!: