Problem with the Arizona EZ Fletcher

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Motto

Problem with the Arizona EZ Fletcher

Post by Motto »

Hello,

I use Arizona EZ Fletcher (Straight) when I fletch Easton SuperSlam 2117 or Easton Legacy 2020 bolts with Trueflight three inch right helical feathers. I clean the shaft with acetone and I use NPV Saunders glue. However, the feathers or Flex-Fletch 250 vanes, which I also use, do not adhere well. When the fletch or vane comes off there seems to be almost no glue on the shaft. I am sure that I do not use too much glue. What could be the cause of the problem?

Thanks,
Motto
A.W

Re: Problem with the Arizona EZ Fletcher

Post by A.W »

Motto wrote:I am sure that I do not use too much glue.Motto
Could be just that. "I do not use too much glue"

I just bought an Arizona fletcher and used it once without any problems.

Check out GaryL's video.......

http://www.excaliburcrossbow.com/phpBB2 ... ight=garyl
[img]http://photobucket.com/albums/b38/allan_w_/th_tinybuck3hj1.gif[/img]

Exocet your options and exCalibur8 your sights.
Digger

Post by Digger »

I also use the Arizona E-Z fletcher straight model. I have had good success using Fletch-Tite with Dura vanes on all easton arrows and bolts as well as on Gold Tips. Check Gary L's video on fletching with the E-Z Fletcher.

Digger
Digger
2008 Y25 Relayer #593 Boo string, lumizone
2-1984 Relayer,
2-1992 Wolverine
Excal Phoenix, acudraw, VARizone
T.P. Titan TL4, acudraw 50, Varizone
Vixen, Steddy Eddy, Varizone
Martin Rage
Martin Jaguar
PSE Infinity
bj

Post by bj »

super slams...been there done that...fantastic arrows, but there's something about the finish on these beasts that make fletching a nightmare sometimes...about the only way i can get vanes (especially feathers) to stick properly is to etch the shaft with a bit of 600 grit paper and then clean them thoroughly with methyl hydate afterwards...let them sit in the fletcher a tad longer also...
Motto

Post by Motto »

Hello,

Thank you guys for the answers. I have seen GaryL's great video a few times. I have done all the usual processes that should be done when fletching arrows. I will now try to etch the shafts. I hope that it will help.

Thanks,
Motto
Sliver

Post by Sliver »

which degree offset is the better choice ? straight ,, 1 degree or 4 degree offset ?

Thanks folks
Exocet 175
Munch Mount
ComfyBear String
DaGriz Knife
Digger

Post by Digger »

The straight is a 1 degree offset. ST1 - ALUMINUM STRIAIGHT 1 DEGREE PRO,

Digger
Digger
2-1984 Relayer,
2-1992 Wolverine
Martin Rage
Martin Jaguar
PSE Infinity
DOXNUT

Post by DOXNUT »

MOTTO.......Acetone has been used by many people, but it doesn't mean it's the best "degreaser". Different chemicals react differently with different materials so experiment a little. I personally switched to Isopropnl Alcohol years ago for two reasons, it worked for my purpose and was safer to use in low ventalated areas. Acetone has been known to cause kidney damage from inhalation and skin absorbtion.
GaryL

Post by GaryL »

[quote="bj"]super slams...been there done that...fantastic arrows, but there's something about the finish on these beasts that make fletching a nightmare sometimes...about the only way i can get vanes (especially feathers) to stick properly is to etch the shaft with a bit of 600 grit paper and then clean them thoroughly with methyl hydate afterwards...let them sit in the fletcher a tad longer also...[/quote]

Also make sure you use enough GLUE, not enough is worse then too much....Play around with the gule and drying times as humidity can make drying times longer. If you should get to much glue(not super glue) you can clean it off with a little scraping. Practice and experimenting is your best teacher... :D

When doing vanes innless they are treated, clean them with a cotton swab and Isopropnl Alcohol before applying the super glue as this will clean the base of the vane of any residue.
Always learning!!
Home fer now!
diesel

Post by diesel »

Great job guys. I learn more and more each time I vist this site.
Thanks to all. Diesel
Is the Arizona E.Z. Fletch jig the easiest , the best, or is there something eles that works better ? :?: :?:
Digger

Post by Digger »

The Arizona E-Z is the easiest to use I have found, I use my Bitz as well as it has more versatility when you are doing vanes for different degrees of offset on different arrow for my 5 compounds.

Digger
Digger
2-1984 Relayer,
2-1992 Wolverine
Martin Rage
Martin Jaguar
PSE Infinity
Motto

Post by Motto »

Hello,

Thank you all for the answers. I think that the problem is that the glue does not adhere to the shaft. It adheres to the vane or fletch, but perhaps the shafts (SuperSlam and Legacy) sort of despise the glue.

I made an experiment with epoxy and it seemed to work. However, I have to experiment how it will work in the field.

Thank you,
Motto
buckeye

Post by buckeye »

Motto,
try using scotchbrite first then rubbing then down with acetone or denatured alcohol.
BUCKEYE

A man who makes no mistakes usually doesn't make anything at all.
GaryL

Post by GaryL »

buckeye wrote:Motto,
try using scotchbrite first then rubbing then down with acetone or denatured alcohol.
Good move there BUCKEYE, I use scotchbrite for a lot of things from rust removal to cleaning pots and pans. One of the best reusable materials out there. :D

Motto, scotchbrite pads can be found in the spam/cleaning dept. in most stores such as DrugMart, and your local grocery stores.... :D
Always learning!!
Home fer now!
globemountain

Post by globemountain »

One other thing....when you close the EZFletch with an arrow and glued vanes in it, don't put the end cap on too tight or it will squeeze too much glue out from under the front of the vanes.