Convince me about crossbows

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

wabi

Post by wabi »

nybow,
I've enjoyed the discussion, and even formed another thought in support of crossbows. It seems most of us are in agreement the crossbow is easier for most people to become proficient with. With the recent announcements of the antis to attack all bowhunting, wouldn't it be better for the sport of bowhunting to give those people with limited time and ability a choice of a bow which would probably increase their odds of making a good shot if they are lucky enough to get within range of a deer. It seems every year we see pictures of deer trying to survive with an arrow stuck in them. I know it happens, as any experienced bowhunter knows. But if the crossbow could even give the sport of bowhunting one less incident a year to give the antis fuel for the fires they kindle, wouldn't it be better for us all?
And stick around the forum if you enjoy bowhunting. Sure, most of us use crossbows, but you're welcome, and there's a lot of good bowhunting tips & info passed along here on the Excalibur forum! Even if I were able to go back to my longbow I'd keep visiting this forum! Most of the people I've met here don't care what kind of a bow you shoot, they just love bowhunting!
wabi
Maritimer

Post by Maritimer »

It is a good topic and I really enjoyed the discussion. I am new to this forum and in the short time I have learned allot about hunting, hunting equipment and allot about fellowship. Allot of the members here still shoot different types of bows but for one reason or another decided to purchase a crossbow. Like I said I enjoy my longbows, but like some of the other members I have a bad shoulder. Most of the time I am able to practice and shoot my longbow but every now and then my shoulder acts up and when that happens using my longbow is out of the question. That is the reason I decided to purchased a crossbow. The one thing that I noticed though out this discussion was no matter what tool you decide to use for hunting we should be banding together against the real threat the anti hunters.

Nybow, we are bow hunters and we like to talk about hunting and like wabi said:
most of us use crossbows, but you're welcome, and there's a lot of good bow hunting tips & info passed along here on the Excalibur forum!
Chris :D
[img]http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y28/Maritimer/Junk/doggy2.gif[/img]
We did not inherit the earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children."
buckeye

Post by buckeye »

Nybow,
Sorry if the replys sounded a little defensive but as stated earlier we are just tired of being brow beaten over this entire issue. The bottom line is that we are all hunters, and it doesn't matter what type weapon you use. The crossbow has allowed my 73 year old father to still enjoy bow hunting and will allow my 12 year year old daughter to hunt deer with a legitimate tool that she can have confidence in. The woods and wildlife is here for everyone to enjoy and maybe we shouldn't cast a shadow on some sportsman and sportswomen who simply chose to do it differently than the masses. You are always welcome to come here to Ohio and hunt with me and my father and we wouldn't care if you brought your compound, recurve or stickbow. We are all just hunters enjoying the great outdoors with family and friends. Hell, you can even use one of our extra crossbows, but I'll warn you, it is very addicting.
BUCKEYE

A man who makes no mistakes usually doesn't make anything at all.
Jim C

Post by Jim C »

Woody Williams wrote:
Leo in Ga wrote: Seems like we have had a few from NY over the years .... :wink:
The infamous LONGHAIR!!

How could one ever forget him..
the biggest moron in the history of archery boards.
Hoss

Post by Hoss »

to begin with I know there is plenty of deer in the woods to share ...regardless on how you chose to get one...I know guys who struggle to get a deer with a rifle..when it comes to still hunting once you get past the ears, eyes and nose of a whitetail..which is tough to do... and they dont care if you have a longbow or spear. I never had one stop and ask me what I was huntin with first :lol: ..anyway the whole thing comes down to PRIDE...I use to be a stuck up bow hunter ...thought my macho ass out there with the bow was the only way to go..I never did hunt with all the gizmos..I thought and looked down on those who wish to hunt with trigger release or a peep sight or a leathere glove ect..It all comes down to our own Macho selves. I thought it was less than the real deal...PRIDE...WE need all be glad one another can hunt today and hopefully tomorrow..When it comes down to it I dont care what you hunt with now..Ive been humbled by my physical disability..I see things now thru different eyes...Im glad I can still Hunt..I wish Pride could take a backseat to this controversy between all people who fling arrows no matter how they fling it..Time is short Life is sweet and hunting whitetail is a great Honor..There is no one greater than another!
Dedicated.... ta all the sweet Bucks yet ta die!
Woodsman

Post by Woodsman »

Hoss, well put! :)
Pete

The great outdoors is where I want to be.
GaryL

Post by GaryL »

Ouote "Convince me about crossbows " well either ya like them or ya don't.... :D

Nothing to convince ya about, try one and see.... :D
Always learning!!
Home fer now!
Hoss

Post by Hoss »

Thanks Woodsman for the support..

I think I will continue,,,,,,,,,,,..OK...Hypothetical.. we find out through make a wish foundation that this fella wants to take a deer in Archery season..He doesnt SPECIFY in what way...hes capable of both..he is terminal and this is one of his last request..
I know people well enough to know that folks would be jumpin through hoops to make sure this fella got what he wanted. I know that arrow flingers from both sides would join hands to make sure this got done..I know that all anomosity and preconcieved views would be out the door. I know that if this young man asked questions when hunting to both representives that the response would be sincere and honest. regardless of the question I see both reps dropping there pride and arrogance and being real for this young man.

Its about BrotherHood fellas...why does it take a crisis to bring common folk together? why does something traggic have to happen before we drop our prejudice and do what we should to help those we should have helped yesterday when things were fine ? WHY ? I will say it again.........................PRIDE.... we use it as a barrier...we hide behind it because we dont want to understand or we dont want to try or we do understand but we refuse to admit. So we think we are better than others for some crazy reason....we are only foolin ourselves....it serves only to divide us. DANG .FOR THE RECORD....I know this is true first hand the pride thing that is..It was me.....good news Im winning and I am a better man today than yesterday....and mabey tomorrow will be better.

.I give alot of credit to the great people of this website who have had a great part in changing my heart about people..you guys know who you are :wink: I will always be different because of your influence in my life..
Thank You my arrow flinging friends..
Dedicated.... ta all the sweet Bucks yet ta die!
Woody Williams

Post by Woody Williams »

Hoss,

Your "hypothetical" already did happen on here.

A vertical bow bender, that was pretty well anti-crossbow, came here asking for help for a young man with a brain tumor. He could not pull a hunting weight bow back.

This fine group on here got that young man everything he needed to go bear hunting in Georgia.

The late Red Label headed up that drive.

That young man is now in remission.

Yes, we can come together for a common cause. It is a shame that a common cause to some is not the inclusion of all that want to go archery hunting with a different piece of hunting gear that is most commonly used.
Woody Williams

We have met the enemy and he is us - Pogo Possum

Hunting in Indiana at [size=84][color=Red][b][url=http://huntingindiana.proboards52.com]HUNT-INDIANA[/url][/b][/color][/size]
Greylag

Xbows

Post by Greylag »

Welcome to the forum Nybow.
IMHO the bottom line is consideration for the game you hunt.
Don't use a compound bow just to be Macho, if you can't spend the time
to practice a lot.
If someone likes hunting with a Xbow and he knows he is more likely to
make a clean kill with it then so be it, and good luck to him.

I have taken deer with compounds and xbows, and now hunt with a
Xbow.

Vern.
Wishing all of you the wind at your back,
Good friends by your side,
and a lifetime of adventures ahead.
chris4570

Post by chris4570 »

GaryL wrote:Ouote "Convince me about crossbows " well either ya like them or ya don't.... :D

Nothing to convince ya about, try one and see.... :D
I think that says it best.

If you have to be "convinced", if you need to be be given all the "right" reasons, if you need to compare every detail to a vert. bow, than you can't be serious about wanting a crossbow.

If you are fortunate enough to have a choice use what you want, choose what you want. Make YOUR choice because that is what YOU want to do. Live with your choice and don't worry about what others think or what others are doing.

Hunting is not a competition! The animals are for everyones enjoyment! No one owns the wild animals, even if on your property!
Jim C

Post by Jim C »

Woody and I used to ask the Xbowphobics almost daily how using a crossbow is "unfair" is it unfair to the deer or to other hunters.

the moron brigade never wanted to answer that question

sorry, I have ZERO respect for those who hunt with compounds and want to keep crossbows out. I ridicule them any chance I get :twisted:
HORTONGUY

crossbows in ny

Post by HORTONGUY »

my opinion is if i have to beg ny politicians like i used to beg my mommy for a candy bar from the local dime store when i was 6. that is not going to happen ny politicians are on a egotistical power trip i dont know maybe they did not get enough attention when they were breast feeding who knows . i beleive i have the right no matter what some suit and tie do nothing for a paycheck bigger than they deserve politician says.... ny has always been like this if there is money in it for their pockets then they will allow you to do what is your right to do anyways. but if they cant see a raise for them then they want you to beg i dont like ny politicians never have and never will. i dont get into politican child games at all ... we need some good ole southern politicans thats what we need. come on all you nyers tell me you like ny politicans always trying to get in your pockets? i know ragheads in this country dont have to do much beggin...
claude

Post by claude »

crossbows are considered bows for hunting in B.C, talking to a local
sporting goods store owner crossbows out sell regular bows by about
30%. licences don't specify equipment so i don't think there is a way
to do a province wide comparision.
Whyitsmike

Very good topic

Post by Whyitsmike »

Hello, my name is Mike and I'm out here in California, due to an auto accident I use a wheelchair, I never thought hunting would be a possibility because I have limited use of my hands, and although I would like to shoot with Bowhunters in the same manner I unfortunately cannot. I do have a couple of compounds and a recureve which I duct tape my right hand too and pull back with my left, I am not a left handed shooter but my left hand functions better than the right so now I am a left handed shooter because of circumstances.

But recently I was given a crossbow by a fellow excalibur forum member,
and it has changed my life, he added an acudraw for me along with a red dot sight and now I shoot daily. And to top it all off I have been invited on a deer hunt later this year in Ohio. I cannot express to you how excited I am to go on my first hunt and I am in my 30s. Crossbows are allowing me to partake in a sport I never thought possible.

Also many of the members have been hunting for years but now due to arthritus or even strokes hunting with Compounds are not possible. And it's a shame that age and times can take away a persons life long passion.
Crossbows may have an advantage in many ways but in my humble opinion they are an adaption for people who might never get to know the outdoors (like myself) as well as a tool to allow hunters the same thrill they have had in years past.

My point being, a hunter is a hunter whether in the stone age or now, we are really all just brothers doing the best we can with what we have. I love shooting compounds but my accuracy and ability to only draw a 35 pound pull would not allow me to hunt effectively, I would probably not even startle a deer with such a slow moving arrow, but it is still fun to shoot. I guess I just feel so fortunate to be able to shoot along side another hunter (you perhaps) and feel equal. Once again thank you for bringing up this topic, it is a good one, and maybe someday we will meet in the field, Have a great weekend.

Mike