Convince me about crossbows

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Tom

Post by Tom »

nybow wrote:Drawing/Shooting in the presence of game

Ah, here's the rub. This is where most arguements take off. Let's agree to talk though our differences.

I disagree that its a slight advantage. I (and probably you, in your vertical bow days) have been flat busted numerous times drawing my bow. It is the damnedest thing. Sometimes, they turn there head at the last moment. Sometimes, they surprise you, come out of nowhere, and there they are 15 yds away. Sometimes they fake this way, go that way, and you're stuck drawn on the wrong side of the tree. Hell of a game, isn't it?

The single hardest thing about bowhunting, besides getting a deer in range (which I will agree is just as tricky with a crossbow as a conventional bow) is drawing on the deer.

When you, as crossbowers, minimize that, you are alienating other bowhunters.

Yes, it has become easier for most to hold the weight due to letoff. But it is not nothing. The left arm hurts as much from holding the bow up as the right does from holding the string back. If anyone believes that high letoff means you can draw a compound when you first see a deer, and hold it till you get him, you are mistaken. There is a HUGE difference here, even with a compound.

Ease of Mastery

We can agree that ease of mastery is down on the list of importance. What matters is that bowhunters are proficient when they hit the woods for deer hunting. In that respect, we should give the crossbow the nod.

While I disagree that a crossbow is only slightly easier to master than a compound, I feel it essentially irrelevant. Dedicated archers will hone their skills with whatever implement they choose. It is the less than dedicated we should be concerned with, regardless of weapon.

A Crossbow is Not A bow

Hmmm...

You must admit it is not the conventional bow and arrow. It has similarities to both the bow and the gun.

Language doesn't help here...I realize that "bow" is in the name, but a speargun is not really a gun, either.

While I will admit that those states allowing crossbow during archery for physically challenged makes a case for its inclusion as archery, you must admit that the fact that they are beneficial for the physically challenged means that crossbows are somehow less challenging then conventional archery gear.
nybow the statements above have little truth when you start adding in hunting equipment. Many bowhunters (all types of bows even though crossbows because of the horizontal space needed is difficult) now use blinds to hunt out of. They are inside either solid buildings or protable popup blinds that hide their movement for the game they have choosen to hunt. They no longer need to worry about draw ing infront of the game.

Crossbows are benificial for many peo[ple, not just the disabled or physically challanged. Believe me that disabled or physically challanged persons would rather not have to need special requirements to continue hunting. Trouble is that if you limit crossbows to only the disabled or pyysically challanged you will be putting them through much more discrimination than they get currently. You will force them to get Dr's notes (costing extra money reg hunters do not pay) including extra visits to his office. You also lable them as disabled as they will be the only ones in the woods using these hunting tools (anyone to see them will know this) or they will be constantly harrassed by wardens looking for their permits or even other hunters.

These State restrictions will also limit their ability to go to other States on a short notice hunt. It would take too long to get a permit to be able to use their hunting tool.

NYBOW if you are really looking into seing WHY CROSSBOWS then put yourself into the shoes of the people that truely need them to be able to hunt safely and humanly with clean quick kills.

Hunters want to be hunters, not labled as a certain type of people. They just want to be as normal as they can get.

Sorry if I ranted a bit but I truely believe that everyone should be able to hunt with a crossbow.
Tom
[img]http://hometown.aol.com/wingbonecall/images/turkey.gif[/img]