Anybody else shooting 22" bolts?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

ninepointer

Anybody else shooting 22" bolts?

Post by ninepointer »

I just had a half dozen bolts made up: 22" Goldtip Lazer 2's, brass inserts, Quickspin vanes and half-moon nocks. A very significant increase in accuracy with broadheads.

-Ninepointer-
Digger

Post by Digger »

You have never said what you are shooting other than a xbow. If your shooting a Barnett with the 1/2 moon nocks ok. If you have an Excal don't use them. I use GT lls with brass inserts, 4" dura vanes and flat nocks in my Paradox because I need a heavy bolt. For my Vixen its 18" bolts 4" duravanes witn 4 degree offsrt and flat aluminum nocks for 330 grs. I used 22" 2117 bolts in my first Wolverine becauser thats what they came with and they shot well.

Digger
Digger
2008 Y25 Relayer #593 Boo string, lumizone
2-1984 Relayer,
2-1992 Wolverine
Excal Phoenix, acudraw, VARizone
T.P. Titan TL4, acudraw 50, Varizone
Vixen, Steddy Eddy, Varizone
Martin Rage
Martin Jaguar
PSE Infinity
ninepointer

Post by ninepointer »

Digger,

I shoot an older Exocet (bought in around '96) with 125 gr. broadheads. I'm not sure if it is my new vanes or new carbons (I used to shoot aluminum) or a combination of both, but my groups with broadheads have gone from being unpredictable to the point now where at distances under 25 yards I don't shoot the new arrows at the same target twice, for fear of "Robinhooding" them.

As for the half-moon nocks, I know that Excalibur doesn't recommend them, but they were recommended to me by a very good source. I have had no problems so far (about 30 shots), but I would really appreciate hearing about any concerns in regard to using half-moon nocks on an Exocet. Thanks.

-Ninepointer-
Digger

Post by Digger »

NP, Excaliburs grasp the string from above xbows that use 1/2 moon nocks grasp from below. If you dont use the cock vaneall the time you stand a chance of a partial dry fire if the string jumps the bolt. If you do use 1/2 moon nocks make sure the cock feather or vane is inserted properly and is seated against the string.

Digger
Digger
2-1984 Relayer,
2-1992 Wolverine
Martin Rage
Martin Jaguar
PSE Infinity
TYE

Post by TYE »

I went from shooting half moon nocks to flat nocks. My groups got tighter. Like I drop all the bolts within a couple mm of eachother.
bj

Post by bj »

although moon nocks can be used, we have proven that accuracy (no matter how good it is), is not as good as a flat nocked bolt from an excalibur...each flat nocked group would shoot inside the moon nock groups from a sandbagged rest..we change out the factory supplied bolts with each parker bow and supply flat nocked bolts...accuracy improves just like an excalibur...(try and tell Parker that, though !)....i guess if you think about it for a second, every flat nock is exactly that..."flat nocked"...the bolt comes in contact with a flat surface and is not influenced by any irregularites in nock construction and manufacture...both inside and outside diameters vary from bolt to bolt and that actually puts the nock in a different place each time, putting the string in a different place each time if seated all the way in, or just slightly off of the sweet spot of the nock...this all has to do "something" in the accuracy department...anyhow, if accuracy was/is just as good with the moon nock vs the flat nock, why have an additional part/piece on the end of the bolt when it's not necessary?...

- just my .02 cents....
franklinm

Post by franklinm »

Ok I give up , Now I no I am new to xbows , my xbow is the Exocet
and I received half moon nicks with the bow , Now what are GT lls & just how important are they , I for sure don`t don`t want a dry fire .
What do these GT lls look like , I am for sure after the best . Thank`s
Digger

Post by Digger »

GTlls are Gold Tip Laser ll carbon bolts that are now supplied in the accessery kit. get rid of the moon nocks and get flat nocks( looks the same as front insert for better accuracy. these are brass inserts and alum. nocks

Digger

Digger
2-1984 Relayer,
2-1992 Wolverine
Martin Rage
Martin Jaguar
PSE Infinity
franklinm

Post by franklinm »

Thank`s Digger , I will be shopping for those nocks & inserts .
And Thank`s again I suppose that was really a pretty dumb question .
Digger

Post by Digger »

There are no dumb questions. You have to start somewhere, you won't find out if you dont ask. :D 8)

Digger
Digger
2-1984 Relayer,
2-1992 Wolverine
Martin Rage
Martin Jaguar
PSE Infinity
AIROHS

Post by AIROHS »

TYE wrote:I went from shooting half moon nocks to flat nocks. My groups got tighter. Like I drop all the bolts within a couple mm of eachother.
WTG TYE Hey i'm lovin my EXO-MAX, Just can't shoot groups inside 40yds mess the bolts up.
EXOMAXXED and LOVING it