Last weekend for turkey

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

ecoaster

Last weekend for turkey

Post by ecoaster »

Anyone besides me still chasing those tricky birds? I'll be out with the Winchester tomorow and the Exocet on Sunday. I'm still hearing gobbling in the mornings and seeing the suckers, I just can't seem to get them interested in a call or decoy.

If they are call shy, will they still gobble? I am surprised to still be seeing vocal birds on public land, this late in the season.
I hunt for memories, the meat's a bonus!
hatchet jack

Post by hatchet jack »

yep, took my grandson wednesday, had 4 gobblin but no takers, my brotherinlaw & i went this morning,4 was gobblin but they wasnt interested,,couldnt get close enough couldnt get ahead of them, we got within 60 yards but he got wise & left the party. i will see him this fall.

hatchet jack
TYE

Post by TYE »

I had no luck this year either... I think I'm pretty much done. Maybe next year. :(
Buck Fever

Post by Buck Fever »

I am going for one final kick at the can tomorrow morning. Hopefully I will see something.
Sliver

Post by Sliver »

I will be out there Sunday... Have to work tomorrow,, Damn work, it interfers with everything :wink:
Exocet 175
Munch Mount
ComfyBear String
DaGriz Knife
huntman

Post by huntman »

I too will be out tommorow! Hopefully i can return with more than just black fly bites :x :!:
Mike Smith

Post by Mike Smith »

Whats going on with these birds this year?Lots of birds but they just don,t seem interested. Can,t get them any closer than 80 yards but they are still goobling?
duber

Post by duber »

I am after my second bird . I was lucky a couple weeks ago and got a 22bl tom with a 10.5 beard . I took my oldest daughter out on Monday and all we saw was a hen . I went out yesterday morning after work and had 4 different birds talkn' to me and finally one broke loose and was coming in . I herd something behind me so i didn't look not wanting to move then finally i had to look . It was a skunk about fifteen feet behind me ! Well i did what every rough and tough man would do , i ran out into the field like the roadrunner being chased by wile-e coyote . Needless to say my hunt was over . Hope to get out on monday . Good luck to everybody on this last few days of the season .
ch312

Post by ch312 »

seems like everyone ive talked to has had bad luck with calling and decoys this year. the birds are turned off for some reason even in areas where there is no hunting pressure.

scott
ecoaster

Post by ecoaster »

Well that's it for me. No turkey in the freezer :cry: . Tough season, but I did see a lot of birds and got to patterning a few. I called two gobblers from across a field yesterday and they hung up at 100 yards. I don't get it. They were double gobbling to my cutting, but they would not cross the entire field :x . A third came out on my left and headed over to the first two. He strutted around and then they all walked off.

All I called in this morning was a hen. All in all it was a learning experience. I learned that getting out the first day and week is key.

On my walk out today I came across a set of deer tracks no bigger than my thumb nail (fawn). The circle of life continues. Can't wait for October. Stocks are getting low in the freezer.
I hunt for memories, the meat's a bonus!