New Riser Configuration

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

BUCKSHOT

New Riser Configuration

Post by BUCKSHOT »

I heard recently that the new risers come with a dovetail machined on them to carry the factory pin sights!
Apparently the two sets of holes which were drilled and tapped on the riser to house the pin sights and the level are no longer on the riser!
I don't have all of the details as of yet, but it seems curious that Excalibur would change the design, as the original design was so simple and the parts were interchangeable! Also the machining process would require more material e.t.c.
If anyone could add more info it would be appreciated, I'll find out more today and pass on the information.
If this is in fact the case, it would mean that anyone who buys a new bow would have to use a pin sight with a different base and possibly a level with an accessory base, that's my understanding anyway.
Will let ya' know for sure later!
Enjoy the Harvest!
GaryL

Post by GaryL »

Don't know innless they were just changed..My Exomax and Phoenix has the holes on each side of the riser.... :D
Always learning!!
Home fer now!
ninepointer

Post by ninepointer »

I am new to this forum, so perhaps the following question has already been discussed at length, but here goes:

While we are on the topic of pin sights, are there any advantages to shooting with pins versus scopes?

I am still using the factory installed plastic hooded peep and brass pins that came with my Exocet back in 1996 (I have not done much crossbow hunting since then and I am geeting back into it). I have been thinking of improving my sights, possibly going with a scope (I see from past posts that the merits of different scopes have been discussed at some length). My main reason for considering a scope is visibility under low light, not magnification. I also like have multiple aiming points for different distances (as opposed to a single red-dot) One of my stands is in deep dark woods and the pins get pretty fuzzy, even when there is still legal shooting time left. Now I am wondering if better, higher tech pins are the way to go instead of a scope? Any suggestions?

-Ninepointer-
GaryL

Post by GaryL »

np, do a search and you will find a lot on pro's and con's on peep sights.. this will get ya started.... :D

http://www.excaliburcrossbow.com/phpBB2 ... eep+sights

http://www.excaliburcrossbow.com/phpBB2 ... eep+sights
Always learning!!
Home fer now!
Hawkeye

Post by Hawkeye »

Buckshot,
I just got my Max, and the screw holes are still on the riser for the sight, and level. The factory pin sight adjustment however is dove-tailed.
-Hawkeye
"No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However, a large number of electrons were inconvenienced"
BUCKSHOT

Humm

Post by BUCKSHOT »

From what I can gather the new ones are definately different!
My understanding is that the pin sight used to come with a dovetailed base which mounts on the riser, then the pin sight attaches to the base!
Now the pin sight attaches directly onto the riser in a dovetail, and there will be a special level made to attach to the same!
This is brand new, within the last week, my friend in the know told me about it! I still need to see one, to fully understand the change.
I don't know yet if an earlier style pin sight will attach to it, but it will be interesting to see, and to figure out what the advantage of this change might be!
I am only speculating but perhaps the purpose is for better support of the pin sight with less possibility of bolts coming loose, also possibly for more accurate alignment of the sight with the rail!
The whole thing is not a really big deal I am sure, I just thought it would be neat to let you know a bit about it!
Enjoy the Harvest!
GaryL

Post by GaryL »

Quote BUCKSHOT in part.."to figure out what the advantage of this change might be!"

I can't see or figure any advantage's too such a change, innless it would work with other after market pin style sights, or just to be a little different.... :D
Always learning!!
Home fer now!