Will try again.

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

mike41

Will try again.

Post by mike41 »

Got my bow back from the factory today, will have to wait for my uncle to put everything back on it. Then off to the range to sight it in again, and hopefully get to shoot it for awhile.
The factory sent me 6 carbon arrows free for my trouble, I never used carbon arrows before are they suppose to be better than aluminum?

Mike41:
GaryL

Post by GaryL »

mike41 a lot of pro and con's on which is the best....Do a search on carbons here on the forum and you can read quite a lot on both.. :D
Always learning!!
Home fer now!
wabi

Post by wabi »

Mike,
The advantage of carbons are - they're either straight, or their broke!
Except for a few rare defective shafts carbons are usually very accurate & durable. I have heard of a crooked one that slipped through inspection, but I've never had or seen one myself. I have broken a couple, and lost a couple, but have most of the ones I bought a year ago. I was so impressed with the durability of carbons I invested in a dozen for my trad bow(s), and I bought what I think is the best. GrizzlyStik tapered carbon shafts. I have over $175. invested in a dozen shafts and all the stuff to make them arrows! Not cheap initially, but they are a long-term investment. I've "stump-shot with them for a few months now, and the worst damage I've done is to loose an insert when I stuck one in a rotton log. (my fault - poor glue job)
The crossbow generates a lot more energy than the longbow, so a solid hit on a hard surface would probably damage one, but as long as you aren't shooting at trees & rocks they should last a long time.
wabi
doegirl

If you hit something hard...

Post by doegirl »

If you smack your carbon bolt into something hard, first inspect for any cracks. If no cracks, retire that arrow to target/stump shooting only. I made the mistake of reusing a carbon arrow after it hit the target frame for hunting. What I did not know is that the insert was pushed slightly into the arrow and therefore no longer square. Last weekend of the '04 season, I had a 20yd shot at a doe. I shot and then watched in horror the arrow sail 4 feet off target smack in the middle of tree. It flew well for about 18yd and veered wildly the last 2. WILL NOT do that again :oops: :roll:
Digger

Post by Digger »

I started using carbon shafts for my compound 10 or 12 years ago and for my xbow about 5 years ago. I own almost 200 carbon shafts and about 15 aluminum shafts that I use for 3D. Beman, Gold Tip, and Carbon Express fat shafts are some of my favorites below. The only ones I've broken were a few robin hoods and a rock I wounded. 8) :oops:

Digger

Digger
2008 Y25 Relayer #593 Boo string, lumizone
2-1984 Relayer,
2-1992 Wolverine
Excal Phoenix, acudraw, VARizone
T.P. Titan TL4, acudraw 50, Varizone
Vixen, Steddy Eddy, Varizone
Martin Rage
Martin Jaguar
PSE Infinity