MAKEING THE "MAX" BETTER

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

GREYWOLF

MAKEING THE "MAX" BETTER

Post by GREYWOLF »

:D Well after shooting my max for 4 months now , I have noticed the wear groves on all my bolts to the point were I am worried about safty! And after talking to a friend of mine who owns a AEROSPACE & MEDICAL TOOL coating company, I learned that the anodizing coating on the stock rail is not as smooth as we think. It actualy is very abrassive this can be seen clearly under a microscope. So since my bow was apart to fit it to the new stock we took the rail to his shop to get it TEFLON coated , the best type for this aplication is DUPONT "S" 958-303 which is sprayed on then baked to 500 degrees ,then cooled slowley and then a second coat is repeated . It build's up a very slick,smooth and durable coating about .002 thick. This will surley cut down on wear and tear on both the bolt's but also the string, As well as gaining about 5 F.P.S.
The next thing we discused was the loud noise we get when shooting , We are going to be filling most of hollow voids in the rail with "low density " expanding foam . This should cut down on the resinating sound chamber affect I have now . Every thing should be done by friday and I will be testing it out sunday afternoon , I will be comparing wear on a new bolt as well as speed and sound levels , to what I recorded before the modifications. The total cost of this runs about $140 U S and if the results are what I expect I will be offering this upgrade to other shooters. I will be posting results Sunday GREYWOLF
[/img]Image
[/img]Image
Image[/img]
Last edited by GREYWOLF on Wed Jun 22, 2005 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1 CUSTOM EXOMAX
1 CUSTOM EXOCET 200
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v651/greywolf1/Copyofexcalibur037-1.jpg[/img]
gad

Post by gad »

It's amazing. I will be for sure looking for the results.
I'm all for gun control. To me, gun control is putting 2 bullets in the same hole... UNCLE TED
Hawkeye

Post by Hawkeye »

Greywolf... VERY interesting! Be sure to keep us posted on this improvement.
Are you going to compare the "sound stat's" from your composite stock to your new Mark stock with these other improvements, or can you compare with the original stock before you add marks wood stock? In other word's I'd be interested in the teflon/foam experiment with the sound/vibration with the original stock, as I may not be able to get a "Mark-enized" stock in the near future...
-Hawkeye
"No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However, a large number of electrons were inconvenienced"
GREYWOLF

Post by GREYWOLF »

:D I have a DB. level recorded with the factory stock, so I will be able to see the differance after, and with Marks stock This should be very interesting GREYWOLF
1 CUSTOM EXOMAX
1 CUSTOM EXOCET 200
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v651/greywolf1/Copyofexcalibur037-1.jpg[/img]
Woody Williams

Post by Woody Williams »

I "foamed" my exomag and couldn't tell the difference to my "naked ear". A DB meter might pick up a difference.

Do you think a deer will be able to discern a THUMP from a THUMP?

I think a just a tad louder thump wont startle them that much more. IMO..
Woody Williams

We have met the enemy and he is us - Pogo Possum

Hunting in Indiana at [size=84][color=Red][b][url=http://huntingindiana.proboards52.com]HUNT-INDIANA[/url][/b][/color][/size]
GREYWOLF

Post by GREYWOLF »

:?: :arrow: It's not the THUMP!!! I care about, it's the vibration that can damage the scope or limbs ECT. A deer would never hear it comeing and be able to string jump it!!!
Last edited by GREYWOLF on Wed Jun 22, 2005 2:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1 CUSTOM EXOMAX
1 CUSTOM EXOCET 200
Hi5

Post by Hi5 »

Avoiding unnecessary string wear and wear on bolts, and increased bolt speed is a worthwhile goal. It depends on what the cost is for the amount of gain received.

Noise reduction, however, is more like a "cosmetic" issue. Unless you are able to make your bow actually SOUNDLESS, the game animal is going to hear the shot, and whether it is loud or louder isn't going to make any difference. Both will be alarmingly non natural in the woods.

The game animal is going to hear the shot in any case. You just have to hope the bolt arrives at the target before the animal can react enough to matter.
"Gun Control Laws"--trying to nag criminals into submission.
Red Sled

Post by Red Sled »

Hello, Greywolf; The first coat of TEFLON bakes @ 325F. The second is final cured @ 600F for 30min. metal temp. Also the Code# is Dupont 958-303 :wink: I will give you the product lit for this coating when you pick up the rail. Dean Sherman--- donwell.com
GREYWOLF

Post by GREYWOLF »

:D Thanks RED SLED I didn't get all the times and temps down today.
GUY'S: Dean is the man who does the coating. (RED SLED)
GREYWOLF
1 CUSTOM EXOMAX
1 CUSTOM EXOCET 200
TYE

Post by TYE »

This sounds pretty neat.
TNhunterKMC

Post by TNhunterKMC »

Even if the bow was completely silent - the sound of the arrow spinning through the air CAN'T be done away with. I have always maintained the thought that the arrow coming toward a deer will cause him to "jump" the string as much as the bow. If you don't believe me stand behind a brick wall 1/2 way to the target sometime when someone is shooting. On today's super quite compounds - you'll hear the arrow MUCH more than the bow at the time the string is released.
DOXNUT

Post by DOXNUT »

interesting...................one thing about sound, it limits the range in which we can kill effectivly. We don't want to make these effective tools to stealthly, we might just end up drawing alot of unneccesary attention.

But it sure is nice hearing about the creativity of my fellow xbowers.........keep up the GREAT work, guys and gals.
terry-1

foam

Post by terry-1 »

I already filled the hollow area in my exocet with low expending foam 4 years ago. It does help some on noise just be carefull not to get any foam into the trigger parts towards the back. I thought about trying some type of rubber bed liner or undercoating spray from a auto store inside the hollow area it would have more damping then basic foam I think. Anyway good luck on your test.
Rickey

Post by Rickey »

Graywolf,
I'm like you, I'm more concerned about the vibration damage to the bow than noise and the difference in string damage and bolt damage. Will be watching this one.... :roll: thanks for testing.
Shoot straight and know your target.
To good hunting and good friends!!
Rickey
ch312

Post by ch312 »

i havent looked in the area where you guys use the foam but couldnt you put in some of that liquid rubber stuff that you dip tool handles into for a new grip?

what about limb savers in certain spots?