What do I need to get for a hunt

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Whyitsmike

What do I need to get for a hunt

Post by Whyitsmike »

Hello Everyone, it's Mike from California, I know it's still a bit away but I'm going hunting with Wildwindom and Gary L later this year and was wondering what I actually need in terms of supplies. I know I need a tag, my Vixen xbow, and I just got a cheap pair of binoculars, (cause I have been watching OLN and they all have a pair). Wildwindom says we will be in a blind, and I have 12 new bolts I'm saving for the hunt (Laser II with brass inserts that weight 410 grains). I recently got an Excalibur stand (best 28.00 I have spent for my xbow) and I have a portable tripod with a small leather gun stand I mounted on it to use as a rest. Liked Sandmans xbow stand best but did not know if I could easlily bring it on trips or through airports when I go somewhere to go hunting. (By the way Sandman Thank You for the generous offer to build me one that was very kind but I know you are very busy and it's a lot of work, so I tried to copy your idea and make one, I hope you do not mind)

But after getting some broadheads I do not know really what else I need to bring, and I do not want to impose on my good friends Wayne and Gary L, they have already done so much for me. So please any imput is greatly appreciated, like the most effective calls, lures, doe urine, or whatever, I cannot find any books on step by step deer hunting, or videos besides shows like Buckmasters on OLN or watching Tred Barta, OLN is amazing but I know I'm missing most of the finer points, cause I get too wrapped up in the moment at hand of them closing in on their game.

Thanks everyone, this will be my first hunt and I just want to be prepared.

Mike
curmudgeon

Post by curmudgeon »

Mike.
I would suggest Permanone and a Rangefinder.
I purchased the Nikon 440 RF.
rigbymi

Post by rigbymi »

Last edited by rigbymi on Thu Jun 23, 2005 9:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
dw

Post by dw »

a big deer would be nice. :D
"dw"
"you gotta love it"
mdcrossbow

Post by mdcrossbow »

Thera-cell, pull rope, why pack so many arrows. Do you have unlimited kills for your tag ?
A.W

Post by A.W »

Don't forget to bring yourself. :wink:
[img]http://photobucket.com/albums/b38/allan_w_/th_tinybuck3hj1.gif[/img]

Exocet your options and exCalibur8 your sights.
ALINALBERTA

Post by ALINALBERTA »

I imagine you have this covered already but be sure to take a camera or video camera. There will definatly be moments you will want recorded to look back on.

...Al.
Hoss

Post by Hoss »

Take a pair of those throw away cleanin glove kits..they are great for keepin your hands and arms clean just peel off and throw away when your donr cleanin your kill...I wouldnt bother with the tripod--in all reality the deer will not present itself in the perfect place ...so you may have to pick up tripod reposition and then try to get a shot off....no chance if hes close..TP is always a good thing to have :wink:

good luck to ya..
Dedicated.... ta all the sweet Bucks yet ta die!
Hawkeye

Post by Hawkeye »

Mike, I think GaryL should be able to let you know what you'll need to bring, as he'll know what ya'all need for your hunt... I've hunted in different situations, different places, with different people, and needed/not needed different things for different trips. You may need a certain amount of hunter orange color to be legal, don't forget your license, and tag, get a good knife with a gut hook(very convienent!); chk to see if you'll need to hang deer in camp, if so see if you need to bring a gambrel, and a deer bag, and how heavy weight of a deer bag for the expected weather conditions. Bring a flashlight, and a small pocket sized one too.
Camping? Will you need a sleeping bag? Any other camping supplies.
And you'll probably need some good luck, So let me wish ya some!
Oh, and I almost forgot the most important part ~ HAVE FUN!!!
-Hawkeye
"No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However, a large number of electrons were inconvenienced"
Herbinator

Post by Herbinator »

Malt Beverages!

:lol: :lol:
brayhaven

Post by brayhaven »

curmudgeon wrote:Mike.
I would suggest Permanone and a Rangefinder.
I purchased the Nikon 440 RF.
I second the permanone. Hunting in the east during archery season can get you eaten alive by ticks & chiggers. It's the only thing that's worked for me. I buy it in 10% solution & make it up by the gallon (.5%) to treat my clothes. You might also bring a little "aim juice" to enjoy around the fire while recounting those experiences of the hunt. :lol:
Greg