Scent suit article.... (not by the manufacturer)

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Stalker

Scent suit article.... (not by the manufacturer)

Post by Stalker »

I've seen and heard the commercials and ad's from the manufacturers but this one makes you think......... :shock: .... :evil:

http://www.fastestbows.com/articles/cor ... _suits.htm
GaryL

Post by GaryL »

I have read that statement many times, on this forum and on others..Do I believe it ? Yes I do because I have also worked with carbon and understand how it works. Have I bashed anyone on this forum that believe's in it NO :!:

Everyone too their own on such subjects.... :D I can assure ya however they don't work.... :twisted: as advertised.... :D
Always learning!!
Home fer now!
Big John

Scent suit

Post by Big John »

I do not use scent blocker garments, but I do use Scent Killer Spray system on my clothes, this is not carbon activated but chemical masking.
What or how do they differ?

Anyone?
Phoenix - 375 gr. BEE's (babyneilsons)
Micro 315 - 410 gr. Zombies/Lumenoks
Micro 355. - Punisher-Zombies/Lumenoks

Arrowmaker - Retired
[email protected]
GaryL

Post by GaryL »

Speaks fer it's self "chemical masking" hiding your smell with another smell. Carbon is used as a filter so too speak traps or collects your smell's and sweat and traps it in the absorbent carbon if working proper.... :D
Always learning!!
Home fer now!
Big John

Scent suit

Post by Big John »

Thanks GaryL.

I believe that this method is far better than going out smelling like
" Downy Fresh". Or for that matter using nothing at all. Even if you set up down wind for the hunt in morning, 3 hours later your up wind.
Phoenix - 375 gr. BEE's (babyneilsons)
Micro 315 - 410 gr. Zombies/Lumenoks
Micro 355. - Punisher-Zombies/Lumenoks

Arrowmaker - Retired
[email protected]
Partikle

Post by Partikle »

Funny how some guys swear by them suits, for example...
http://www.deer-john.net/index.html
I don't know if they work or not. For now I'll stick with my non carbon Predator Camo and use the wind.
GaryL

Post by GaryL »

Partikle wrote:Funny how some guys swear by them suits, for example...
http://www.deer-john.net/index.html
I don't know if they work or not. For now I'll stick with my non carbon Predator Camo and use the wind.
Partikle what ya have is a case of "LUCKY" in the adds that support the Carbon suites. Case in point for example would be....you purchased a pair this Oct. for opening day deer hunting, you go out with your new hunting outfit and 10 min. later shoot your biggest buck ever :shock: Now was this because you were wearing your new outfit of CARBON WEAVE or was it you were at the right spot at the right time.. :?: :D

For most that outfit did it's job and they would swear by them(clothes) :D :wink:

That is very good reading your link, and he also points out as I have stated before that deer get accustomed too humans and farm workers, cars, trucks and what ever in a populated area. However in less populated areas things are very different and different techniques must be used.... :D
Always learning!!
Home fer now!
brayhaven

Re: Scent suit

Post by brayhaven »

John wrote:I do not use scent blocker garments, but I do use Scent Killer Spray system on my clothes, this is not carbon activated but chemical masking.
What or how do they differ?

Anyone?
It's supposed to cover one scent with another but it's a fallacy. Deer (like dogs) have very different olfactory capabilities than humans. Not only do they have a huge sensing area, but they also have a a very large portion of their brains dedicated to deciphering the information received by those sensors. It's how they survive.
An example: A while back we were quail hunting in TN with a dog that really didn't like to find dead or hunt singles. She liked the big covey excitement. She pointed a covey & we killed a bird but the dog went off after the covey & didn't wait to find the bird that was down. We went after her and found her nose to tail with a sunk about 100 yards away. Just as we approached the skunk blasted her in the face with a full load. We put her on (long) heel & headed back for the truck. On the way back we went by the place where the covey had been. The dog locked up on point on the dead bird. :lol:
I can't imagine a more intense cover (mask) (dousing the dog's head & nose with pure fresh skunk spray), Yet, the dog was still able to smell & ID that bird as though it was the only scent around.
I have several instances of proof that suits are totally ineffective as well.
Greg
Hoss

Post by Hoss »

Brayhaven.........outstanding example...... :wink: and deer our 100 times more sensitive at least....so whats the answer play the wind if the wind changes and your in a good place get out of there save it for another good day that the wind provides for you...I pick my spots according to the wind direction and that only.. :wink:
Dedicated.... ta all the sweet Bucks yet ta die!
CaptainCharles

Post by CaptainCharles »

So if I buy the special multi million-dollar pyrolysis thermal regeneration equipment that produces enough heat to re-activate carbon, I should be good to go????

Thanks for that article.......On another note, anyone want to buy some barely used scent lok base base layers? :lol:
"The American Dream is having your name on a weapon!" - Ted Nugent
Nudo7

Post by Nudo7 »

I to once bough one of these "sent suits" as there called where I'm from. I have had more deer to blow at me while wearing it than just using my normal hunting clothes. I purchased it 5 yrs ago and I haven't used it in 4 yrs. I figured it out. I just doesn't work. Even when doing what they adivse you to do, with reactivating it in the dyer. I learned the hard way and advise anyone not to purchase the clothing. Just use good cleaning techniqes and the wind.
Thats Right!!
Member NRA
[img]http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b133/nudo7/Nudo7.jpg[/img]
brayhaven

Post by brayhaven »

CaptainCharles wrote:So if I buy the special multi million-dollar pyrolysis thermal regeneration equipment that produces enough heat to re-activate carbon, I should be good to go????

Only if the garmets, the carbon is in, can withstand 1400 degrees and you're willing to do it every day or so. I worked with activated carbon for many years in the water treatment field and the things it can do, it does well. Unfortunately, Keeping your scent from deer that are downwind of you, isn't one of them.

As I've said all along, the king is plumb nekked :lol:
Greg
mdcrossbow

Post by mdcrossbow »

We had Mike, I think it was him, it's been a while, speek at our QDM meeting, great speeker. Also , he spook about "Deer Pee" he made very good scence, Pee is Pee. And to tell you I don't use brands would be a lie. I do buy 2 products, Code Blue estress only because I beleive it's is truely Deer Pee. and Tinks Burn sticks to use at feeders.
brayhaven

Post by brayhaven »

DaveHawk wrote:We had Mike, I think it was him, it's been a while, speek at our QDM meeting, great speeker. Also , he spook about "Deer Pee" he made very good scence, Pee is Pee. And to tell you I don't use brands would be a lie. I do buy 2 products, Code Blue estress only because I beleive it's is truely Deer Pee. and Tinks Burn sticks to use at feeders.
I asked my brother, who is in the industry, about Code Blue and he says the guy who owns it (who he knows) is known throughout the outdoor products industry as a "con man" who brags about saying whatever it takes to sell something & make money :) . Apparently has some unsuccessful defenses on false advertizing charges.
Greg
mdcrossbow

Post by mdcrossbow »

Greg, thanks for the info. I used it 2 years ago. I had a 8 point in early season chaseing a doe , kind of premacure but he was chasing her none the less. I had put out some Code blue in a waffer when the buck cought wind of it he slammed on the breaks and went to it. I was amaised ! But that only happened Once. As Mike said Pee is Pee.
Now Tinks burn sticks {rut} has the ulitimate scent as far as I'm concerned. It works great if you hunting over bate and want to give a confadence scent. Many time deer will be very aprehensive to walkinto a bate pile but time and time again when I would put a burn stich out I have allot of deer come in and then the bucks follow.