Ideas to quiet bow and lessen vibration? homemade target??

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

ch312

Ideas to quiet bow and lessen vibration? homemade target??

Post by ch312 »

i was looking on limbsavers website cand cant figure out what products would be the best for dampening vibration and sound on my exomax.

what would you guys recomend?

i was thinking about a limb saver on each limb and string leeches. how much velocity would i lose? do they even work?

they have a crossbow "system" also, anyone heard anything about it?

what other ideas do you guys have for making it vibrate less and be quieter?

Also, anyone have some ideas for a homemade target that is cheap but will stop the bolts? i have 2 dense foam ones. think they are blueridge or something but the bolts almost completely pass through at 20 yards.
Hi5

Post by Hi5 »

Some of the guys here probably don't agree with me on this, but here's my $.02.

For the cheapest and most effective noise reduction, I suggest you wear ear plugs. :D :D

Here's why: the speed of your bolt is LESS than the speed of sound, so you won't gain much by a PARTIAL sound reduction. The deer is going to hear the shot. It's just that simple. So, unless you eliminate ALL sound of the shot, you don't gain sweet tweet.
"Gun Control Laws"--trying to nag criminals into submission.
ch312

Post by ch312 »

i was thinking more of the vibration. i figured it couldnt be good for the bow parts and scope. plus less vibration means less screws will come loose...
dw

Post by dw »

exomaxes vibrate. it will shoot much smother if you shoot heavier bolts. i got rid of my exomax, way to much bow. the lesser poundage bows shoot much smoother.
"dw"
"you gotta love it"
ch312

Post by ch312 »

i just remembered by dads buddy has a piece of that foam they use for those egg crate type bed liners or to go under sleeping bags. the piece he has is 8'x4'x10" thick.

would this work for a good target? how should i rig it up to be sure it will stop them?

thanks

PS. dw, i like the throey go big or go home :D plus, this is my last "big" thing im buying for the next 5 years because im buying a house late this year :cry: :cry:
Digger

Post by Digger »

You can quiet yor new Max expensively with a stock from Mark or with $.02 worth or hot water pipe insulation on the top of your stock. Most string leaches or tarantulas look like sh*t after 20 shots. Simms make system that goes on the side of the fore stock. Stabilizers are another alternative.

Digger

Digger
2008 Y25 Relayer #593 Boo string, lumizone
2-1984 Relayer,
2-1992 Wolverine
Excal Phoenix, acudraw, VARizone
T.P. Titan TL4, acudraw 50, Varizone
Vixen, Steddy Eddy, Varizone
Martin Rage
Martin Jaguar
PSE Infinity
GaryL

Post by GaryL »

And Digger pretty well said it all....There are your choice's.... :D
Always learning!!
Home fer now!
wabi

Post by wabi »

Might as well throw in my opinion :lol:
Rather than string silencers and limbsavers, I use a dacron string. It seems quieter (less vibration) and I figure the dacron is probably easier on the limbs. I do almost all of my 3-D & target shooting with a dacron string.
However, :wink: for deer hunting I use fastflight for I think the velocity gained is more important than a little less noise & vibration. The deer IS going to hear the shot and the sooner the arrow is there, the better.
wabi
dw

Post by dw »

i think excalibur made a faster bow with the max not a better bow.
"dw"
"you gotta love it"
TYE

Post by TYE »

ch312 wrote:i was thinking more of the vibration. i figured it couldnt be good for the bow parts and scope. plus less vibration means less screws will come loose...
The bows are built for it.... ;)
JDMiller

Post by JDMiller »

Guys I'm kinda new on here and new to crossbows but not to archery . My take on it is like this . The actual Limbsavers do work . I have been using them on my compounds for several years . The effect they have on silencing may be small but I believe they relieve a lot of the shock on the limbs , rails and stocks. I use them for insurance. I must admit I dont shoot a Excalibur and are not real familiar with the dissapator bar system . I'm sure it works extremely well . My Parker ( dont hold this against me) crossbow came with all the LimbSaver acessories on it from the factory. It shoots pretty quiet for a crossbow .

I believe a lot of guys are pushing the envelope with light grain weight shaft / broadhead combinations to achieve more speed and flatter trajectory. I may be wrong on this and Excalibur may actually advise against this but I cant see where they will harm anything . When installed they advise a X-ammount of distance from limb tips and I believe this is the most stressed area on any type of bow . They will absorb a lot of shock / vibration . However LimbSaver string silencers ( leeches -they have them specifically for crossbows) are a waste of money . Mine are already coming apart and they honestly do not last long on conventional bows . Do they work -Yes... but you better have access to a press often .
ch312

Post by ch312 »

i was looking on the net an i guess they have a new string leech out that is straight instead of the s shape. says the new one is made for fast crossbows and they are alot tougher and last longer.

if i can find some good deals on ebay than ill try out some of the limbsaver stuff but im not going to pay normal prices for them.
JDMiller

Post by JDMiller »

ch312 wrote:i was looking on the net an i guess they have a new string leech out that is straight instead of the s shape. says the new one is made for fast crossbows and they are alot tougher and last longer.

if i can find some good deals on ebay than ill try out some of the limbsaver stuff but im not going to pay normal prices for them.
ch312 : Those are the ones I was talking about . They are on my Parker but they started giving up after 50 shots . They are thicker and designed staight unlike conventional leeches where they are offset . I also commented about a press . I was referring to compound crossbows like mine and I was not thinking about the fact you could change these out on Excaliburs by unstringing .

On another note , like many others have said the process to try to quite a crossbow is kind of mute . With any archery equipment the sound will reach long before contact with the shaft. But good maintenance practices of checking screws , bolts , mounts , rings and all other accessories and installing felt or some other material on points that we may make noise ourselves while loading the shaft or contacting the trigger guard or even noise created at the stud where sling / swivels contact will make more of a difference . All of these make the difference before the shot . Any noise during the shot should be a lesser consideration .
BigUgly

noise

Post by BigUgly »

Just an observation. When shooting with some friends we all noticed one thing. Xbows are alot louder when you shoot them. When you are watching no where near as loud as you percieve. Was explained to me like this. When you shoot a xbow all the sound or alot travels back down the stock right to your ear. By the way I made and installed a wooden stock on mine. Was the quietest one of the bunch plus had to adjust my scope 1" higher than before and going farther into the target.
DOXNUT

Post by DOXNUT »

Like many guys have already said; use a heavier bolt. And like Digger has mentioned use a stabilizer.....