O/T SHOULDER PAIN

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

STEELWORKER

O/T SHOULDER PAIN

Post by STEELWORKER »

for the past three months my left shoulder has been killing me,i keep waiting for it to go away but it seems like it's getting worse. i already own a lifetime crossbow permit for my back problems and now my shoulder is draggin me down. it is a constant burning toothache type of pain that is making me miserable 24-7. i am posting this cause i'm sure some of you guys have shoulder injuries and i'm looking for someone who knows what i'm talkin about. i haven't been to a doctor yet, but i'll be going here real soon. thanx--------STEEL
Brampton Mike

Post by Brampton Mike »

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm coudl be arthritis.......for yor sake I hope it isn't......i've suffered with arthritis for over 25 years now.............good luck. 8)
If I can't hunt & fish in heaven....then I don't want to go!!!!!!!!!!

Vegetarian..............old Indian word for lousy hunter!
peter

Post by peter »

i've had a similar (or same) ailment since last august. i had an ultrasound done 2 weeks ago , the doctor suspecting either a tear to the rotator cuff? or bursitis. turns out to be the latter which my dr. seemed very confident that a cortisone needle directly into the shoulder joint would fix , followed by some excersizes for 3 months. well i had the needle 2 weeks ago today and NO IMPROVEMENT!!
but dont dismay steelworker, apparently it works for most.
cheers peter
Woodsman

Post by Woodsman »

Don't delay with having it looked at. You may have just over worked it ... if you can remember from what. Using anti-inflammatories like aspirin and ibuprofens (not acetimophens i.e.Tylenol) to reduce the inflammation would allow it to heal providing it isn't anything more serious.

If it is a work/play related injury, a university sports med place is your best choice for a visit. They will show you how to do the appropriate exercises to get it back into shape.
Pete

The great outdoors is where I want to be.
tmunroe

Shoulder Pain

Post by tmunroe »

It's a good idea to get it checked out asap. Many times treatment from a physiotherapist can get you back in good working order.
My wife is a physio - sees many different types of conditions like you're describing.

Terry
A.W

Post by A.W »

Have you tried using Glucosamin with Chondroitin? Every now and again my knees give me lots of problems. I have a lot of injuries from my army and police days. Since I started taking Glucosamin with Chondroitin they have just about stopped aching.

If you do try it then I would suggest the 900 m/g.

This combination is supposed to lubricate joints. The medical people don't quite know how it works but they know it does work. Take some fish oil caplets as well.
[img]http://photobucket.com/albums/b38/allan_w_/th_tinybuck3hj1.gif[/img]

Exocet your options and exCalibur8 your sights.
Woody Williams

Post by Woody Williams »

My guess is - rotator cuff and/or bone spurs..

Have it checked out. There is no sennse in being in constant pain..
Woody Williams

We have met the enemy and he is us - Pogo Possum

Hunting in Indiana at [size=84][color=Red][b][url=http://huntingindiana.proboards52.com]HUNT-INDIANA[/url][/b][/color][/size]
GREY OWL

Post by GREY OWL »

This may sound silly buuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuutt, I've had problems with several joints in my body, shoulders, elbows and wrists, so I've quite drinking cheap coffee, and it seems to have helped. Who knows what they spray on dem der beans.

Grey Owl
Sliver

Post by Sliver »

Hows The movement in the shoulder ? Can you lift your arm? if not, could be frozen shoulder.. The wife had that in her right shoulder 2 years ago... After a couple of shoulder manipulations, cordizon and finally surgery.. she is pain free now and has about 90% of the movement back,, which is good... She could not move her arm away from her side for weeks, and it took about a year or so along with the procedures she had,before she could lift it pain free away from her side..... Now she can lift it above her head again....
Get to the doctors DO NOT put it off,,, and keep moving it as much as you can DO NOT let it freeze up on ya...

Good Luck With it

Harry
Exocet 175
Munch Mount
ComfyBear String
DaGriz Knife
chris4570

Post by chris4570 »

peter wrote:i've had a similar (or same) ailment since last august. i had an ultrasound done 2 weeks ago , the doctor suspecting either a tear to the rotator cuff? or bursitis. turns out to be the latter which my dr. seemed very confident that a cortisone needle directly into the shoulder joint would fix , followed by some excersizes for 3 months. well i had the needle 2 weeks ago today and NO IMPROVEMENT!!
but dont dismay steelworker, apparently it works for most.
cheers peter
I was diagnosed with bursitis when I was about 19-20. Never did anything for it, Dr never said to. My shoulder still clicks 12 years later. I try not to let it stop me from doing things but I do have to be careful.
DOXNUT

Post by DOXNUT »

I'm no doctor........but I had a friend once complain about a bad shoulder, it turned out to be a torn rotorcuf muscle
GaryL

Post by GaryL »

Have the shoulder problem, called a subsiding shoulder in my case..PIN JOB if I want to get it fixed. The cortisone sucks and cause's more problems that it helps in most case's..... :D
Always learning!!
Home fer now!
gh2757

Post by gh2757 »

Hi Steelworker,
You really should get in to see your Doc soon about that. Maybe I can help shed a little light. Considering it has gone on this long, its not going to go away on its own. There are several possibilities here, many of them mentioned already. If there was some initial injury, ie. you lifted something heavy out of the trunk of your car and heard or felt a pop, then we have to think about soft tissue injuries like sprains, strains, rotator cuffs tears (partial and full), and damage to the cartilage within the joint space or "labral" injuries. Any of these would give you some or total weakness in that arm. If you hold your left arm straight out in front of you, then turn it inwards as if dumping out a can of beer (I know, a crime itself here in Canada!). Then have someone, or use your own right hand to push down on the left wrist. If you get pain or weakness in the back of the shoulder, we're thinking more rotator cuff injury, most likely the largest of the 4 RC muscles, called the supraspinatus. This is where the diagnostic ultrasound comes in, as someone mentioned erarlier, this is the only way to evaluate such trauma for tears. Now if you tend to get more stiffness and achiness in the shoulder, and you have given it a lifetime of abuse (think tennis, baseball pitcher, or maybe "steelworker"?), and its worse for about the first 15-20 mins after waking up-- then more likely it is arthitis or degenerative joint disease. You can think of it as "wear and tear". We all get it sooner or later. Now this is where cortisone comes in. Because your medical doctor doesn't really have much else to offer in this case, they like to inject a powerful painkiller (cortisone) into the joint space to numb the sensation of your bones becoming intimately close to one another. When they hit the right spot it works awesome, for 2 weeks or maybe 2 months if you're lucky. By then the painkiller has been fully absobed by the body and the pain is back. However, research is starting to find that the cortisone actually increases the rate of arthritis advancement. Lovely. To inject or not to inject, that is the question. An xray of the shoulder joint is really the best way to tell if you have osteoarthritis. Someone mentioned glucosamine plus chondriotin sulfate. A good choice. Usually 1500 mg/day in divided doses works, but give it at least a month. Basically this is an ingredient our body has anyway that it uses to make new cartilage. It helps to prevent the loss of the cartilage you still have in there. When cortisone doesn't work, they like to go in and remove all cartilage and/or spurs in the joint, and this has limited success at times also. As for bursitis, you would often have one very tender and localized spot in the shoulder that you can push on, sometimes with visible swelling around the area. Most motions of the shoulder would hurt. Frozen shoulder, or adhesive capsulitis is where the soft tissue surrounding the shoulder tightens to make any motion of the shoulder limited and painful. If moving your shoulder around in a full circle is but a distant and fond memory, this may be it. If you have a past history of shoulder dislocations, you have have a minor one of these, especially if there is a mound at the front of the shoulder. If there is a notch, or what we call a "step defect" on top of the left shoulder, and you had someting hit you there or you fell on it, then we might be looking at a separation, again probably minor. If you hold your left arm out to the side and slowly raise it over your head, only to find that it hurts too much to do that, you may have one of our new-fangled and less known critters called Impingement Syndrome, where lifting your arm causes an impingement of the tissues inside the joint. Well, thats a start. I hope some of the other guys on here can reap someting from the above. Get in to see your doc. From one xbow hunter to another,
G.
STEELWORKER

Post by STEELWORKER »

wow, guess alot of us do have bad shoulder's, and i've learned alot in all of your replies. guess i won't really know what's goin on until next week when i see the doctor. i'm only 28 and my body is making me feel way older than i am :roll: ---------STEEL
Leo in Ga

Post by Leo in Ga »

STEELWORKER

While it could be many things, please get it checked........

I just went through rotator cuff surgery this year, and it was the smartest move I made.........

Even rotator cuff problems can differ from one person to another, so my advice is to see an orthopedic doctor, (sports medicine if possible) and get an MRI, and go from there....

If you need surgery strongly consider arthroscopic surgery if available.

I will be happy to share my experience with you if that is your problem, and you want the info, please pm me and we can talk :)