Does anyone see a problem ???

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Leo in Ga

Does anyone see a problem ???

Post by Leo in Ga »

shooting a XX75 2114 w/100g point, (TW@ 377gs) out of my vixen??

Thanks for your thoughts :D
GaryL

Post by GaryL »

Yep wall thickness to light....May work from a Vixen however.... :D
Always learning!!
Home fer now!
Digger

Re: Does anyone see a problem ???

Post by Digger »

Leo in Ga wrote:shooting a XX75 2114 w/100g point, (TW@ 377gs) out of my vixen??

Leo, you can go as low as 325 gr TW with a vixen. I use xx75 2117 at 18 " length at 327-330 gr TW for 3D, works great with my Vixen.

Digger
Digger
2008 Y25 Relayer #593 Boo string, lumizone
2-1984 Relayer,
2-1992 Wolverine
Excal Phoenix, acudraw, VARizone
T.P. Titan TL4, acudraw 50, Varizone
Vixen, Steddy Eddy, Varizone
Martin Rage
Martin Jaguar
PSE Infinity
GaryL

Re: Does anyone see a problem ???

Post by GaryL »

Digger wrote:
Leo in Ga wrote:shooting a XX75 2114 w/100g point, (TW@ 377gs) out of my vixen??

Leo, you can go as low as 325 gr TW with a vixen. I use xx75 2117 at 18 " length at 327-330 gr TW for 3D, works great with my Vixen.

Digger
Ayep, weight wise they should be fine..however check each one after ya shoot as that's a thin wall..On the other hand I have and still do shoot 2213's for bushy tails and that's thinner then a 2114.... :D
Always learning!!
Home fer now!
Woody Williams

Post by Woody Williams »

I hunted with 2413s with my vertical bow.

I shot 2213s in 3D shoots with my vertical bow..

They should work fine Leo..
Woody Williams

We have met the enemy and he is us - Pogo Possum

Hunting in Indiana at [size=84][color=Red][b][url=http://huntingindiana.proboards52.com]HUNT-INDIANA[/url][/b][/color][/size]
GaryL

Post by GaryL »

Did not mean to confuse ya Leo in Ga, as W.W. and Digger stated above they should be fine to use. I get myself thinking about wall thickness and them thinner bolts will bend easier.... :D
Always learning!!
Home fer now!
Woody Williams

Post by Woody Williams »

GaryL wrote:Did not mean to confuse ya Leo in Ga, as W.W. and Digger stated above they should be fine to use. I get myself thinking about wall thickness and them thinner bolts will bend easier.... :D
Yes they will.. but crossbow arrows are way shorter than vertical arrows and thus less likely to bend..

Hey Leo... don't be a cheapskate.. buy some good carbons... Are you saving all that money for retirement or something?? :wink:
Woody Williams

Hunting in Indiana at [size=84][color=Red][b][url=http://huntingindiana.proboards52.com]HUNT-INDIANA[/url][/b][/color][/size]
Firehawk1

Post by Firehawk1 »

Question, compound bows should be kept at, or above 5 grains per pound of draw weight.

What is the "rule of thumb" for crossbows? :shock: It CAN'T be 5 grains per pound, or I would be shooting 875 grain tree trunks. :shock:

:? I'd be getting probably 150 fps? Maybe? :?

I'm shooting a Horton TR 175, with Carbon Impact bolts that weight 410 grains. I assume that's ok weight wise. The bow shoots great. 8)
Woody Williams

Post by Woody Williams »

Firehawk1 wrote:Question, compound bows should be kept at, or above 5 grains per pound of draw weight.

What is the "rule of thumb" for crossbows? :shock: It CAN'T be 5 grains per pound, or I would be shooting 875 grain tree trunks. :shock:

I'm shooting a Horton TR 175, with Carbon Impact bolts that weight 410 grains. I assume that's ok weight wise. The bow shoots great. 8)
It's a whole new world in crossbowing.. ;)

Stick with the manufacturer's recommendation. If Horton says you can shoot 410 grains then that is what you should shoot.

The Excaliburs can shoot 350 grains and the warranty is still good.
Woody Williams

Firehawk1

Post by Firehawk1 »

Woody Williams wrote:
Firehawk1 wrote:Question, compound bows should be kept at, or above 5 grains per pound of draw weight.

It's a whole new world in crossbowing.. ;)

Stick with the manufacturer's recommendation. If Horton says you can shoot 410 grains then that is what you should shoot.

The Excaliburs can shoot 350 grains and the warranty is still good.

I guess I should call Horton and ask. I don't know WHAT Horton recomends. I know the bolts that came with the crossbow were Horton aluminum bolts, and they weighed about 25 grains more than the carbon ones I'm shooting now. The bow has no more vibration, or handshock, and isn't any louder than before. So I assume I'm not over stressing the bow.

Thanks for the reply, as I said, I guess I should call Horton and find out to be sure.
ALINALBERTA

Post by ALINALBERTA »

Firehawk1. According to Horton's website, they recommend at least 415 gr. arrows for all compound crossbows. http://www.crossbow.com/more-to-arrows.htm

...Al.