Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Woody Williams

ATV deaths on rise

Post by Woody Williams »

ATV deaths on rise
By JIMMY NESBITT Courier & Press staff writer 464-7501 or [email protected]
July 18, 2005

Charles Padgett's father, Donald, died about 11 years ago when his all-terrain vehicle flipped and landed on top of him. The 59-year-old man had driven to a friend's home on a county road and was returning to his Jasper, Ind., farm when the ATV flipped. The handlebars landed on his chest. The pressure of several hundred pounds of metal pinned his body to the ground.

No one knows what caused the wreck. Padgett suspects a deer may have darted in front of his father. But he doesn't blame the ATV. "They (the police) tried to tell us at the time of the accident that there was a malfunction with the machine," Padgett said. About three days after the wreck, "I took that bike out he was on and rode it to see if there was anything wrong, and there wasn't a thing wrong with that machine.
"It was just one of those accidents that happened."

The number of ATV wrecks nationwide more than doubled from 1997 to 2003, according to the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission. The number of fatal wrecks soared from 241 in 1997 to 473 in 2002, the latest year for which data was available. In June, the commission ordered a review of ATV voluntary standards and safety proposals.

More people than ever are using ATVs, which some say explains the rise in serious wrecks. But part of the blame falls on the riders, law enforcement officers say. Unlike a car, an ATV doesn't have a seat belt or a roll cage, said Mike Kellner, Indiana field conservation officer. And helmets are optional. "It requires a lot of responsibility," he said. "Some folks will look at those things as a toy instead of looking at it as a vehicle that can go 50 mph or faster."

Donald Padgett, a lifelong carpenter, used his ATV to ride around his farm. Charles Padgett of Jasper still owns an ATV and, like his father did, uses it to ride around his 20-acre farm. Charles Padgett's brother, Jeff, recently bought an ATV. "If you look at their overall run record, they're really not" dangerous," Charles Padgett said. "People get stupid on them. People get hurt. But it's the same thing with cars, motorcycles or anything else.

"I've never faltered from crawling on one" since the wreck.

Greg Harris, who began riding when he was 16, said ATVs wrongly get bad rap. "I don't think the whole story is being told," said Harris, 40, of Gentryville, Ind.

Harris and a friend started the Lincoln Country Trail Riders. The group has 529 members from as far away as Bloomington, Ind. They travel around the Tri-State on weekends, riding in packs. Ages of members range from 16 to 70, Harris said. Harris said his group emphasizes safety. Is encourages riders to wear helmets, goggles and gloves. Harris is especially adamant that parents supervise their children. Some parents use ATVs as baby sitters, which leads to danger, he said. Harris often rides with his children, who are 10 and 14. "I'm about riding with my family," he said. "I got into four-wheeling, so we could spend time together." In 2003, people 16 and under accounted for 31 percent of all ATV wrecks nationwide. Kentucky State Police Trooper Stu Recke said many children ride ATVs that are too big and powerful. Kentucky law forbids anyone younger than 16 from riding an ATV with an engine larger than 90 cubic centimeters.

Indiana and Illinois have similar laws.

Another problem is that some riders want to use public roads, Recke said. State law allows limited road use for farmers, but "a lot of people think that they can just drive on the road, and they can't," Recke said.
"You have to remember they are not made to be driven on the road. They're an off-road vehicle, and that's what they're for. People try to drive them like a car."

Posey, Pike and Gibson in counties in Southwestern Indiana have passed ordinances allowing ATVs on county roads. The ordinances differ slightly in each county, Kellner said. Asked if he thought it was safe to allow ATV access on county roads, Kellner paused and then said, "I don't know. It goes back to riders understanding their responsibilities."

Most of the serious wrecks in Posey County occur off-road, Posey County Chief Deputy Sheriff Ed Thompson said. Thompson did not think the ordinance has caused more wrecks. If a similar ordinance came up in Warrick County, "I would not be in favor of that," Warrick County Sheriff Marvin Heilman said sternly. Many drivers use public roads because there isn't anywhere else to go, police say. The Land Between the Lakes in Golden Pond, Ky., has trails, but it is a 115-mile drive. When people register their ATVs in Indiana, part of the fee goes into a state fund for trail development. A 4,500-acre section of land northeast of Lynnville, Ind., is being developed, Kellner said. He did not know when the project would be finished.

Interest in trail riding continues to grow, but the bulk of ATV owners in Southern Indiana use the vehicle for their farms. Arctic Cat in Mount Vernon, Ind., gets a lot of repeat business from area farmers, sales manager Matt Niemeier said. He recalled one customer who has purchased more than 12 ATVs from the business.

Arctic Cat gives new owners a discount on safety gear and $100 if they complete a safety course. Padgett doubts a safety course would have prevented his father's death.

"The handlebars landed right square on his chest," he said. "There ain't anything in the world that would have prevented it."

ATV manufacturers "need to really look at what kind of horsepower they're putting in these things for what they are," Padgett continued. "I believe that with motorcycles or anything."

http://www.courierpress.com/ecp/news/ar ... 32,00.html
Woody Williams

We have met the enemy and he is us - Pogo Possum

Hunting in Indiana at [size=84][color=Red][b][url=http://huntingindiana.proboards52.com]HUNT-INDIANA[/url][/b][/color][/size]
brayhaven

Post by brayhaven »

obnoxious, invasive & dangerous machines :evil:
Greg
LoneWolf

Post by LoneWolf »

obnoxious, invasive & dangerous machines :evil:
Yes they can be as dangerous as any other machine can be.
It all depends on how you use them. Use them with common sense and they can be safe to use and save you a heck of alot of work... Mine comes in pretty handy when it comes to hauling out deer and bear out of the woods, not to mention moose.
Ontario Trophy Bucks
mdcrossbow

Post by mdcrossbow »

I here ya ! we don't use them hardly at all any more . Just for transporting idems. Deer, corn exc.
JDMiller

Post by JDMiller »

ATv's are just like any other thing with a motor . You have to use common sense . Down here just about everybody has them and especially hunters . I wouldnt take nothing for mine when it comes to getting a deer out or hauling in ladder stands . I however do not ride them to my stand while hunting . It stays at the cabin till one of us has harvested . These hills and hollers can be rough on you pulling them horns .

The biggest problem is kids riding too fast and on public roads . They were never designed to be run on asphalt . When you equate this with speed ....those knobby tires dont get the traction and they loose control . Parents need to take more interest in what their kids are doing . This is illegal but no way do the sherrifs dept. have the manpower to stop it . Tractors , combines , schafel wagons are enough to dodge besides somebody going 60mph on a four wheeler .
LoneWolf

Post by LoneWolf »

You said it, JD..
They are not machines to be racing round like a mad man trying to turn on a dime with. Mine is used mostly for hauling animals out of the woods and hauling a trailer of firewood here and there and for pre-season scouting moose hunting areas where I can't get in with my truck for some reason or another. I own a 2000 Big Bear 400 and it's only got 1300 k on it so it goes to show how much it's used. But one thing though, I sure don't agree with driving around on them all over the place during hunting season. That's when they get obnoxious you could say, I won't deny that.. But it ain't the machine, it's the guy driving it I get most pi$$ed at...
Ontario Trophy Bucks
Hoss

Post by Hoss »

I went out and looked at mine just now and mine seems to be ok..I even kicked it and it didnt reply. It didnt try to run over me. It just sat there all quite and still...POINT Lonewolf is right its the idoits ridding them that practice little or no respect for others! I understand the broad statement BH made but clarificartion was needed..I myself couldnt do without mine just around the place here it cuts the work in half. stretchin fence with the winch. haulin wood, movin trailers, pullin kids in the snow..I love my H 300 4x4..Blackwater tires and steel skid plates that babby will go about anywhere..
Dedicated.... ta all the sweet Bucks yet ta die!
Camper

Post by Camper »

Common sense

I use mine for hunting and for trail riding. I get a ton of enjoyment out of it and so does my girlfriend. they are as safe as the user, Just like your excalibur!!!

Camper
Time and Patience the best advice my Grandfather gave me.

Camper
terry-1

ATV

Post by terry-1 »

I was rasied back in the old 3 wheeler ATV days. We always ahd at least 3 or 4 ATV's at one time for the kids and working around the farm. I rolled my alittle 70cc more than a few times but it was so small and light I could pick it up and move it around myself at 10-12 years old. I think the problem now is the machines are getting so huge. hey have 600+ CC motors and weigh hundreds of lb's. That kind of weight will break bones and crush people when flipped over. Small kids need to be on small ATVs period. They have no business on a adult sized machine!
DOXNUT

Post by DOXNUT »

The industry definitly needs to stop the "increase" in horsepower. If a person needs more then 500CC, then get your truck!
Woodsman

Post by Woodsman »

I have both a Polaris 350 and Honda TRX300. Lots of fun for trail riding and doing some small chores aroung the cottage. They are as dangerous as the conditions and the rider riding it. If you can drive a car responsibly, you can drive an ATV responsibly.

I will not be using my ATV's during hunting season other than to haul out game. They can be noisy and should be used with discretion during hunting season. ( I rarely hear anybody using them during deer season.) In our area, most ride them in the winter along popular trails.
Last edited by Woodsman on Tue Jul 19, 2005 7:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pete

The great outdoors is where I want to be.
Evan

Post by Evan »

obnoxious, invasive & dangerous machines
Probably, if you're a city or suburban dweller. My dad used one in his ag consulting business to collect soil samples for farmers for analysis. Without his ATV he could have never made his business successful. Also, he drove responsibly and never got hurt. He sold it after he retired. For many farmers and ranchers ATVs have become an integral part of making their livelihood successful. I have thought about getting one with a snow blade to push snow out of my driveway (and for recreational use with my sons).

Evan
hatchet jack

Post by hatchet jack »

atv,s like any other motorized vehicle can become dangerous if you dont use common sense,,,,,,,i know from experience,,my son & i was riding his honda up a steep hill when it started rolling backwards at a high rate of speed then over turned on top of us,,i hit the ground on the back of my neck , my son on top of me the honda on top of both of us, jeff kicked it off of us ,,,, we were very lucky ,we were both up & walking with in 30 minuts,we were hunting turkeys,,,,,,,

hatchet jack :lol:
brayhaven

Post by brayhaven »

Evan wrote:
obnoxious, invasive & dangerous machines
Probably, if you're a city or suburban dweller. My dad used one in his ag consulting business to collect soil samples for farmers for analysis.
Evan
Nah, they aren't obnoxious at all in the city; just in the woods :o). I've had slobs come by my stand, during prime hunting, on those things who were too damn lazy to walk in to their stand, or cart out their deer/hog on a dolly to the nearest road. Just my opinion of course. :lol: I recall a friend & I came upon 2 of them in a wilderness area in CO where they weren't supposed to be. We shoved them over the clif and they fell about 500 feet shredding parts as they hit the rocks on the way down. It was a pure joy to see :lol: Down here in FL, they are banned on public hunting land (off road) & rightfully so. They encroach on the quiet enjoyment of others. Some folks are riding mtn bikes and most have game haulers.
Greg
LoneWolf

Post by LoneWolf »

brayhaven wrote: We shoved them over the clif and they fell about 500 feet shredding parts as they hit the rocks on the way down. It was a pure joy to see :lol:
brayhaven,

If there's anything I dislike most it is cowardly people who take their frustrations out on another man's vehicles/property... I can guarantee you, if one of them bikes were mine there would have been a couple of sorry fellas doing swan dives off the same cliff and hitting the same rocks right into them so called shredding parts that were such a pure joy for you to see.... :roll: ....
Last edited by LoneWolf on Wed Jul 20, 2005 9:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ontario Trophy Bucks