Am I waisting my time trying to quiet...

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Grayarrow

Am I waisting my time trying to quiet...

Post by Grayarrow »

Just received my new Phoenix, and the thought of trying to quiet it came to mind. Am I waisting my time? If anyone has any sugestations I would appreciate it. Thanks
Partikle

Post by Partikle »

Tips on making your bow more quiet...

http://www.excaliburcrossbow.com/phpBB2 ... sc&start=0
GaryL

Re: Am I waisting my time trying to quiet...

Post by GaryL »

Grayarrow wrote:Just received my new Phoenix, and the thought of trying to quiet it came to mind. Am I waisting my time? If anyone has any sugestations I would appreciate it. Thanks
Was gonna pass on this one, but figured I would put my .25 cents in.... :D

As post by Partikle a good link ta get ya started, but their are many more.... :D

First the Phoenix is one of the quitest Excaliburs I have, If you are hearing a lot of noise check all your bolts and make sure your brace height is set at around 1".

A wooden stock by Mark will make a noticeable difference and in truth that is the only thing worth thinking about, around $225.00.... :D Super stocks by Mark.

The rest of the things ya might try are basically a waste of time seriously.... :D

The xbow sounds louder too you then it really is as your cheek is resting against the stock and you feel and hear it more then if you were listening to some one else shoot it.... :D

I am sure their will be many replys on the matter, then again maybe not as it's been pretty well covered....Do a simple search on the forum under quite and see what ya get.... :D

WELCOME TO THE FORUM :!:
Always learning!!
Home fer now!
Grayarrow

Post by Grayarrow »

GaryL, Thanks for the info, I will check on brace height when I get home, and I'm willing to bet that is the bigest culprit. Also thanks for the welcome, have been a bowhunter for 44 years, can't do it (shoulder problem) no more. But I will be in the woods with my new xbow. Thanks again.

Grayarrow
Tom

Post by Tom »

Grayarrow I believe that if you use feathers for fletching your arrow will be louder in flight than the bow was at the time it was shot. Even veins are loud. IF you keep the shots at a reasonable range, the deer will not have time to respond to the sound before the arrow is past it. Remember that an attentive deer will respond quicker and it can see faster then register sounds.

Hope this helps.
Tom
[img]http://hometown.aol.com/wingbonecall/images/turkey.gif[/img]
Hawkeye

Post by Hawkeye »

The chances are you're only going to get one shot anyway, no matter if you're able to shave a few decibels off the shot. So my advise is practice making a good shot... :wink:
-Hawkeye
"No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However, a large number of electrons were inconvenienced"
JDMiller

Post by JDMiller »

I think most of us get all worked up over the noise a crossbow makes from our experiences with traditional archery equipment . Crossbows are going to be louder its just their nature . We kinda make comments to the effect that speed will compensate . However most compounds today shoot relatively close if not equal to crossbows . IBO rating on my Mathews Legacy is 310fps my crossbow is rated at 320fps . Actual hunting setups will get me 275fps with my compound and around 300fps with my crossbow . That being said ... the sound will reach the animal by either method long before the arrow / bolt .

My advice.... Dont get marred down by it . Check your equipment for loose screws , bolts and accessories . Fix those things that are obvious and would eliminate noise that occurs during hunting... such as applying sick-on felt to metal areas you may contact while loading your bolt but not in the way of the rail . The most important thing is learn to read the animal your hunting . If he is nervous he will react more to the sound . Whitetailed deer will normaly drop a little at the sound of the shot . Some animals dont . Experience and time afield will learn you this and it will be second nature before long . Just enjoy your crossbow and good hunting.
Grayarrow

Post by Grayarrow »

Partikle,GaryL,Tom,Hawkeye,J.H.Millier,Bstout, Thanks for your input really appreciate it.
Grayarrow
wabi

Post by wabi »

I've become accustomed to the noise my crossbow makes, and just ignore it unless something sounds "wrong". I use a 175# Exocet with a dacron string and no DBs, and it isn't too noisey to enjoy shooting. You'll soon to learn the noises the crossbow makes are just part of "the nature of the beast" so to speak, and if you're like me youll also notice any new or different noises. A few weeks ago I was shooting and a new "twang-g-g-g" surfaced. Turned out to be the quiver (on a Dan Miller bracket) had started to wear in the quick detach lockup. A new (one of my spares) quiver & mounting bracket) cured the problem.
A few ways to reduce noise are:
1. switch to a dacron string that has some stretch.
2. use DBs & pads
3. use a heavier arrow
4. install one of Mark's custom wood stocks
I use a dacron string for target shooting, and use arrows a little heavier than the minimum weight. I've found as long as I stay in the 300fps range for deer hunting I'm fine out to 30 yards. With a fastflight string and 350 grain arrows I get 310 (actually 309.6) fps as advertised. With the dacron string and 380 grain arrows I only loose 10-15 fps, and it is a lot quieter.

As for deer, you aren't going to silence it enough to prevent them hearing it, so just limit range to 30 yards or so, and the arrow will be through them before they react. Any bow is going to make noise, and that's what makes bowhunting even more challenging & fun - you have to get close to be successful.
wabi
Hoss

Post by Hoss »

8)
Dedicated.... ta all the sweet Bucks yet ta die!
TNhunterKMC

Post by TNhunterKMC »

Another thing you can do to quieten those quick detachable quiver mounts is to wrap some white teflon tape around the part of the quiver that slides into to mount. This will "tighten" them up and help prevent the extra vibration.