Question: Crossbows and shoulder shots

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Woody Williams

Question: Crossbows and shoulder shots

Post by Woody Williams »

This gentelman has raised a good question.

Anyone want to go over and take a stab at an answer for him?

http://huntingindiana.proboards52.com/i ... 308&page=1
Woody Williams

We have met the enemy and he is us - Pogo Possum

Hunting in Indiana at [size=84][color=Red][b][url=http://huntingindiana.proboards52.com]HUNT-INDIANA[/url][/b][/color][/size]
LoneWolf

Post by LoneWolf »

Well, I know there was a member (no names mentioned) that had hit deer with shoulder shots a couple of years ago, not once, not twice, but on 3 different deer and had no luck recovering any of the 3 animals he shot at. The guy was blaming the broadheads he was using but IMO, I think it was the shooter that had no clue what-so-ever of the vital area/bone structure and was shooting too much up front and high on the animals. Not sure what model of crossbow he was shooting, but I know it wasn't a Vixen. It is not advisable to even try such a shot, but yes it is possible for it to happen. With that said, If you were to hit a deer on a quartering away shot and the arrow was to travel through the deer, hit the far shoulder and the bolt stuck there, you have most definitely hit the lungs. Therefore, I have no doubt in my mind that a hunter would have no problem recovering the animal.

LoneWolf
Ontario Trophy Bucks
Hoss

Post by Hoss »

still pushin that website WW..... :roll: I registered but never got my confirmation login email...wonder why :?: oh well I like this place plenty..by the way WW who did you say runs that website now and who is the moderator....just curious is all...hey why not have him come ask that question over here on this site...I bet he gets more hits on his question here...anyways......what a day...jumpin jimminey Christmas...I gotta go by some beer. :D
Dedicated.... ta all the sweet Bucks yet ta die!
Woody Williams

Post by Woody Williams »

Hoss - "still pushin that website WW..... :roll:"

Nope... Not pushing at all. I asked a question. Why would you have a problem with that?

Hoss -"I registered but never got my confirmation login email...wonder why :?:"

WW - I have a Hoss listed with an a AOl email adress. AOL sometimes kicks out notification emails as spam. Check your junk email folder.

If that isn't there it get back with me if you are still interested in joining.

But, please don't insinuate that I didn't let you join.

Hoss -" oh well I like this place plenty.."

WW - I do too, but it isn't the only one I visit. This and the Indiana site is about the only place that crossbwers can go and not be harrassed by the anti-crossbowers. I dion't know about you, but I think that is good.

Hoss -"by the way WW who did you say runs that website now and who is the moderator....just curious is all..."

WW - I do both jobs.Why do you ask?

Hoss -"hey why not have him come ask that question over here on this site...I bet he gets more hits on his question here..."

WW - He asked there. Not sure why you have a problem with two sites to ask and answer crossbow questions.? Several of the regulars here belong over there and we have a pretty good discussion about crossbow and crossbow hunting. We need to promote crossbow at every opportunity, not just here on the Excalibur website.

<snip of rest of the post>
Woody Williams

We have met the enemy and he is us - Pogo Possum

Hunting in Indiana at [size=84][color=Red][b][url=http://huntingindiana.proboards52.com]HUNT-INDIANA[/url][/b][/color][/size]
GaryL

Post by GaryL »

Hoss wrote:still pushin that website WW..... :roll: I registered but never got my confirmation login email...wonder why :?: oh well I like this place plenty..by the way WW who did you say runs that website now and who is the moderator....just curious is all...hey why not have him come ask that question over here on this site...I bet he gets more hits on his question here...anyways......what a day...jumpin jimminey Christmas...I gotta go by some beer. :D
Hoss my friend, that is Woody Williams own site.... 8) Come join us as it is a little different.... :D
Always learning!!
Home fer now!
JDMiller

Post by JDMiller »

Guys ,
I'm the one that posted the question about shoulder shots . I belong to 3 sites. All of them have crossbow sections . I dont frequent often here but have put my 2 cents worth on occasion . Not that anyone has ever not made me feel welcome but I dont shoot a excalibur crossbow . I shoot a Parker . I also have never bashed any brand of bow or crossbow and rate Excalibur at the pinnacle of crossbows .

I'm reletively new to crossbows and in my neck of the woods most dealers carry Horton , Barnett or Parker . I ended up with Parker because my Mathews dealer carries them . They have real good archery techs and since I'm new I thought I better stick with them for any problems that might arrise . I figure like a lot of things we do .. I'm in the introductory stage and will upgrade in time . I just need to get my feet wet first before diving in all the way . This is a great site and have learned alot from y'all and I really enjoy coming here and not worry about having to justify my position on crossbow use . The site I'm on in my home state .... thats the norm . Its nice to come here or Woodys site and relax . If you havent checked his out you should give it a try . Its growing and getting alot of experience frequenting often . I know some of y'all are getting ready for bear and other critters and wish you all the luck.
ecoaster

Post by ecoaster »

JDMiller,

It's hard to find good service these days, so if you found a bow shop you like and they treat you well, stick with em! I chose my bow for my own reasons. Mainly because it was Made In Canada. I like to support the local whenever I can :wink: .
I hunt for memories, the meat's a bonus!
Deadeye

Post by Deadeye »

I shot a deer at 38 yard with my Exomag using a cabelas Lazer II 100 gr. and hit the shoulder right in the ball joint. It broke both shoulder sockets and I never found the arrow.. Granted I didn't try it on purpose, it happened. The deer only went 5 yards and couldn't get up, it was one of the most devastating shots I have ever witnessed. Excalibur puts um down!

Deadeye
Blood make's the grass grow, Owh-ay!