Tree Stand SAFETY questions

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Are you likely to fall from a tree stand?

when ascending or descending
12%
when excited from the hunt
No votes
when something breaks
No votes
when you get careless or try to hurry
10%
any and all of the above
78%

Total votes: 58

wabi

Tree Stand SAFETY questions

Post by wabi »

Just curious as to the odds of actually falling from a tree stand, and when/where it’s most likely to occur. Has any forum member actually had a fall? Any first-hand stories as to where it's most likely to happen, and how to prevent it?
The landowner where I hunt did fall several years ago, and he was doing everything “right” according to the common safety practices at the time. He had climbed into the stand and attached his safety belt. He got ready to exit, unhooked the belt, put his foot on the top screw-in step, and regained consciousness on the ground to find he had a badly broken foot. The screw-in step had broken off!
I’ve never come close to an accident, but I do believe it can happen! I wear a linesman’s type belt when hanging stands and a full body harness when hunting from a stand, but I am still unprotected when climbing the ladder (I use a ladder stand or climbing sticks made like a ladder, so a linesman‘s type belt isn‘t really a practical option). I am considering the purchase of one or two of the retractable straps you can hang above your stand and attach to it before you ascend or descend (after it’s installed) to catch you on the way up or down. Any experience with these? Are they good insurance or a gimmick? Any other good options?
wabi
dw

Post by dw »

how about when your putting it up or taking it down?
"dw"
"you gotta love it"
wabi

Post by wabi »

dw
Good point! I didn't think to add that to the poll, but it woud be a good option. I was thinking more along the lines of having the stand already in place, and the cause of an accident under hunting conditions. I was also thinking more along the lines of ladder or hang-on stand than climbers.
Might be a good reason for a poll of which type stand is safer :lol:
I own a good Summit climber, but seldom use it, as I just have a fear of not being more solidly attached to the tree. I've tried it, never had a slip or close call, just have a fear of that method of climbing :lol:
wabi
Big John

tre stand accident

Post by Big John »

Wabi:

I have yet to have an accident where a fall occured. However a close call once. When using screw in steps and it's raining and muddy the woods and tree's are very different and slippery. Your boots can become very full of mud in the treads, which is your traction in the steps. I have slipped off these steps a couple of times but held on with my hands. So to state my point, how you place the steps, distance apart, how many, and where they are around the seat area will make all the difference in ascending and descending in safety. So make sure that as well as having ample steps for going up and down, make sure you have a few placed around your seat area for grabbing and holding to get in and out of the seat safely. Especially when wet and muddy. I have at least 3 above and around my stand at head height for this purpose. :wink:

Be safe, John
Phoenix - 375 gr. BEE's (babyneilsons)
Micro 315 - 410 gr. Zombies/Lumenoks
Micro 355. - Punisher-Zombies/Lumenoks

Arrowmaker - Retired
[email protected]
BigUgly

stand safety

Post by BigUgly »

Had an instance where a screw in step broke at the tree luckily for me I had three other points holding on. Did cut my boot apart pretty bad on the sharp edge left behind. Not too long after that started to replace stands with ladder stands. I feel a lot safer in them so in my mind if you feel more comferatable you will be sasfer.
GREY OWL

Post by GREY OWL »

Answer: PRUSSIC KNOT !!!!!!!

This is the only knot I know of that will do the job in the safest manner.

Very easily done. Tie your main rope or line two feet above your tree stand. The rope should be long enough to reach the bottom of your tree, then tie it securely to the bottom of your tree. Make a prussic knot on this main line, and tie it into or onto your harness. Bingo !!! your set to go.

The way this knot works, is if you should happen to fall, the fiction of the knot on your main line will instantly bind and stop you from free falling down along the tree trunk. The main line (from top of tree to bottom of tree) is of a larger diameter. As you climb the tree on your tree steps, slowly move the knot along with yourself, till you reach the top. As you come down, again move the knot along as you desend, do it to fast and it will bind.

This system can be homemade, or better yet, go to your local professional tree climbing company or mountain clmbing business, where they can tell you where to buy this same type of system. The prussic knot can be purchased as a mechanical device, instead of a rope knot.

Type in Prussic Knot on google, it'll show you there what I mean.

Take care guys, ya only got one life.

Grey Owl

P.S. Like someone mentioned, always have three points of contact when climbing a tree.
GREY OWL

Post by GREY OWL »

That's it bstout, but just needs a few more wraps.

Grey Owl
Woody Williams

Post by Woody Williams »

GREY OWL wrote:That's it bstout, but just needs a few more wraps.

Grey Owl
That is just the first wrap.

Here is how to tie one.

http://www.utas.edu.au/docs/climbing_cl ... ussic.html

This is the Sytem that Seat of the Pants uses for their climbing rope.
Woody Williams

We have met the enemy and he is us - Pogo Possum

Hunting in Indiana at [size=84][color=Red][b][url=http://huntingindiana.proboards52.com]HUNT-INDIANA[/url][/b][/color][/size]
Woody Williams

Post by Woody Williams »

bstout wrote:Right. I posted the basic version so folks could get the idea. If you went crazy with the amount of wraps its going to snag up on you when you don't want it too. All the rock climbers use these devices.

It is important to keep three points of contact and use gravity to your advantage.

Bob
Sorry Bob,

That isn't the "basic version" that you posted . It is the begining of tying a prussic hitch. See the url I posted.

Seat of the Pants says if it doesn't have that three wraps it is not a prussic hitch and is NOT safe.

http://www.summitstands.com/productDeta ... ?id=329141

I don't want people on here to think your "basic version" is all they need. It is not and not safe at all.
Woody Williams

We have met the enemy and he is us - Pogo Possum

Hunting in Indiana at [size=84][color=Red][b][url=http://huntingindiana.proboards52.com]HUNT-INDIANA[/url][/b][/color][/size]
ch312

Post by ch312 »

the only time you should be at risk is when ascending or descending because your safety harness should be attached at any other time.

last season for deer i decided to try and all day stand. got in the stand 20ft up before daylight and at about 4pm i passed out. woke up an hour later leaning far over the side with the harness holding me up. if i didnt have the harness on i would have fell 20ft :( even worse i might have damaged my crossbow

:shock: :cry: :cry: :cry:

lol...

ive been using treestands for 4 years now and thats the first time i actually needed it.
wabi

Post by wabi »

Grey Owl,
Thanks for reminding me!
Answer: PRUSSIC KNOT !!!!!!!
I've used it with my climbing stand, but haven't used that stand in recent years and never even thought of it :?
I'll forget the fancy retractable strap reels, and stop at the local hardware/surplus store where I noticed some hanks of climbing rope in a box last week when I bought the stuff to work on my ladder stand. I'm sure it will be more economical, and probably more dependable!
wabi
GREY OWL

Post by GREY OWL »

No problem Wabi. Any time for a fellow Xbower.

Grey Owl
wabi

Post by wabi »

Got my fancy harness system today so I can be attached to a safety line any time I'm off the ground. Went to the local hardware/surplus store and bought a 50' hank of 2200# test (1/2" dia.) rope for $10. Tied one end about 5' above the stand's seat, the other end about 6' off the ground, and then took a short loop and attached it with a prussic knot. I can now clip the carabiner on my full body harness to the prussic knot and be attached all the way up & down. The hank of rope was enough for my hang-on stand and my ladder stand, so I'm all set for only $10.
The retractor systems I was looking at were $59.95 each!
Now all I have to do is get my wife to look at the math and see how I saved $110. before the new custom recurve gets here :lol: :lol: :lol:
wabi
Basel

Post by Basel »

I recently saw a thread on Archery Talk about people falling out of tree stands. http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/showthrea ... stand+fall
I was suprised at the number of incidents. I have had a couple of close calls while using my Summit climber. Usually while climbing and decending. On certain types of trees, the climber slipped a little and then came to a sudden stop. Shock loading equipment is not very good for it but the Summit is a well designed stand. I never leave the ground without my body harness being attached to the tree.
Basel
Gerard Dick

Post by Gerard Dick »

According to my rigger's manual that knot is also known as a triple sliding hitch. It is imperative that the load be applied to the bottom line and that the top free end be at least 2 feet long.
we get too soon old and too late smart