time to get things rolling boys..persimmons..

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

mdcrossbow

time to get things rolling boys..persimmons..

Post by mdcrossbow »

What is your insight for the upcomming season.

My trees are loaded this season. I know when the persimmon trees are full the doe's know it also. When they start dropping if your in an area that has this lushus fruit tree you'll have fun. My son Jarrod walks back and forth on the dirt road on my lease and stalks deer. I remember his 1st year hunting 4 of us were standing by our trucks after the days hunt and here comes Jarrod, 15 years old and all excited. I shot 6 deer. We found 3 or 4 of them I can't remember but he said the arrow fell out of 2 of them from ham shots and we had a time of it, tracking all the blood trails. Anyway now he's more of a hunter and has good abilities and not as liberial with his shooting.

If the doe's are in the persimmons which is usualy around the pre rut time it's a good bet that you'll see bucks in the area. Strong persimmon years have always been my best years for bucks. SO take notes and hunt these areas, you'll do good.
rigbymi

Post by rigbymi »

Dave,
You should commend yourself for the things you do on your lease. It makes my mind run wild!
Riggs
ranger66

Post by ranger66 »

what is persimmon, what does it look like, I heard of it but never seen it.
JD Jones

persimmon

Post by JD Jones »

Well, wild persimmon is a round, orange red fruit mabe 1 1/2 inches across. Before frost they taste like alum, after a good frost they soften and become somewhat sweet. But they never grow a deceant rack. :roll:
JD
The best thing for the inside of a man is the outside of a horse.
Hoss

Post by Hoss »

its a round orange fruit and full of seeds..about the size of a golf ball...if you try to eat it to soon your mouth will pucker :shock: like you have never had before. best eatin after first freeze.. .My mom made persimmon bread. butter, jam..I love it alot of work but very rewarding..the deer love it ofcourse..the indians pull the seed out and split it in half..In the center of the seed the is the core. it can look 2 ways,if it looks like a spoon its said to be a heavy winter which makes it hard to find food..If it looks like a fork it said to be a light winter with plenty..passed down to me by my creek indian grandfather...we pick it every year..when in the woods it makes for a great treat..you just want to wait till the first freeze before you try it..also you can tell the good ones as they are soft and sweet just pop them into your mouth and spit out the seeds.
Dedicated.... ta all the sweet Bucks yet ta die!
johnrios

Post by johnrios »

I'll be hunting out of a very big persimmon tree adjacent to another HUGE persimmon tree. Did my early scouting!

Fruit is all over the place. All critters are attracted to it. It seems anyway from their scat.

I truly hope the saying is true, " Good year for persimmons mean good year for the deer".

Happy scouting and good luck!
John Rios
Nashville, TN
mdcrossbow

Post by mdcrossbow »

Hoss, I have allot of indian in my back ground and my grandfather had many sayings I'll have to ask my mother if she heard this one. Thanks for shareing that. I will open one on my next trip out to the farm.

Persimmons will rippen after a few days on the ground and deer will visit them earler in the season after a storm.

You have a male and female tree. The female bare fruit. Ever 5 to 6 years you get a bumper crop and this is the bumper year. I probly have 150 to 200 females on the property and 200 to 300 if not more males.

I've never hunted out of one sence they were mainly hedge row trees around here and what use to be fields 20 years ago are now grown over with thick cover and mostly persimmons trees.
A.W

Post by A.W »

I buy them at a local supermarket here in the east end of Toronto. I don't know where they are grown but only twice did I find seeds inside them. These were large seeds and only 2 or 3. They are delicious.
[img]http://photobucket.com/albums/b38/allan_w_/th_tinybuck3hj1.gif[/img]

Exocet your options and exCalibur8 your sights.
mdcrossbow

Post by mdcrossbow »

AW, try making a poltus out of them and spread it on a tree near your stand.
ranger66

Post by ranger66 »

I guess they only grow in the states do they, I have never seen anything like that here in Ontario.