Arrow Drop

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

TYE

Post by TYE »

I guess the faster drop would be because crossbow bolts are shorter than vertical bow arrows.. could be it?
maddog

Post by maddog »

This seems to defy the laws of physics. The only way I can see the xbow bolt dropping faster is due to it decelerating faster (from air resistance)......and this is probably the case with a shorter arrow which has a lower "ballistic coefficient"......as is the case with long and short bullets of the same caliber. BUT, the statement above is true only if the arrow and bolt start out with the same initial velocity.....otherwise, the higher speed of the xbow bolt will have less drop.
Lyn-X

Post by Lyn-X »

actually the faster a bullet goes the faster it slows down, in the rifle world. this probably holds true to arrows as well. interesting though, ive never heard of the horizontal/ vertical difference. Lynn :twisted:
Newbi

Post by Newbi »

Go to Excalibur home page. On the left side click on Arrow Performance Chart. Should answer your questions.
QUANDO OMNI FLUNKUS MORITATI (When all else fails, Play dead)
Genesis 27:3
Kevin 2

Post by Kevin 2 »

Jh45gun,
I think the difference is in the mass of the arrow. My bolts weigh 400 Gr. and my 2315 arrows (my light arrows) weigh 600 Gr. The 2219 arrows for big critters weigh 650 Gr.

The heaver arrows have more energy stored in their mass. The two flying at similar velocities the heaver projectile will drop less at a given moderate distance. Gravity acts on both but the heaver projectile will sustain its velocity. A mass in motion will tend to stay in motion. Wind resistance is not as much of a factor as you would think. They would be very similar. The profiles are almost the same and the velocity is not any where near supersonic when the wind resistance and shock wave would be a major factor.

This would seem to suggest that a longbow or compound with a heavy arrow has the advantage at longer range over a short-range weapon like a crossbow. This would explain the effectiveness of Howard Hill and Fred Bear being able to shoot 40 to 60 yds. at big game, with heavy arrows.

The firearm example would be long range shooting. The snipers and 1000 yd. shooters use the heaviest bullets that will sustain supersonic velocities at the range they will be shooting. This reduces the amount of drop and windage adjustment required to deal with the environmental conditions. A 50 cal with a 1 oz. Bullet will shoot flatter @ 2500 fps at 2500 yds than a 220 Swift 40 gr. bullet @ 4000 fps at 2500 yds. Now at 300 yds the story is completely different. The 220 Swift would be sighted in at 300 yds.

I think the vertical bows advantage is a hazard to the sport. I don’t mind sharing the hunting season with them as long as the behave them selves and don’t shoot all the critters at unfair pistol ranges with their long-range weapons. If they are handicapped.

That last statement sounds stupid doesn’t it? We have to stop the infighting and remember where the problem comes from, PETA, Humane Society of America, Etc.
We are all “HUNTERS” shooting feathered shafts.

Kevin
Allan

Post by Allan »

Guys, Guys,

Physics 101: All ojects fall at the same rate of acceleration.

Any differences are due to wind resistance. If you were to stand at the top of a building and drop a 10 pound bowling ball and a 2 pound bag of sugar at the same time, they would land at the same time.

The drop that you discussed would be due to the bolt speed and the amount of time it takes for the bolt to reach the target. Slower arrows (bolts), take longer to arrive at their target and therefore drop more.
Kevin 2

Post by Kevin 2 »

Allen,
Yes what you say it true as far as you take it. The example as I recall is the bowling ball and a feather, it only works in a vacuum. If you hold a bolt or arrow in your hand and drop it the time it takes to hit the ground from that height will be the same as the time it will take to drop to the ground if you shoot it from the same height. If no other input or output of energy is affecting the shaft.

The primary loss of energy is the resistance to the air but the mass of the projectile will determine at what rate it will lose velocity. The mid flight speed of the heaver arrow will be higher at say 30- to 50 yards than the lighter bolt. This would make the average speed over a given distance higher with the heaver object shot at the same speed with the same aerodynamics. Its momentum (stored energy) will slow the effects of the air (hydrodynamic resistance) during its flight. This I believe would cause the effect of having a perceived and actual reduction in drop at a distance of 30 to 50 yards.

Just my thoughts on the subject. That and $1.00 will get you a cup of coffee at some places. :D :D :D

Kevin
Kevin 2

Post by Kevin 2 »

Yes, those bumble bee's are a prolbem. But I have seen them fly. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Kevin