cocking aid or hands

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

buckslayer

cocking aid or hands

Post by buckslayer » Sat Oct 12, 2002 9:01 pm

what do you use hands or mech aid or rope type cocking aid,and does it make it more accurate using a aid instead of your hands,,i know about the string cetered deal sometimes with using hands it doesnt get centered and shots can be off does this off center happen with cocking aid??thinking abut buying one

Red Label

Post by Red Label » Sat Oct 12, 2002 9:26 pm

I use a rope cocking aid.

Yes, it keeps the string centred and aids accuracy, not to mention saves your lower back after 40 or 50 shots!

Mike

Kern

Post by Kern » Sat Oct 12, 2002 9:28 pm

I have an exomag and I can cock it with my hands but I have a hard time cocking it evenly. If Im shooting targets, the constant cocking wears the hell out of my hands and back...the cocking aid really helps by cocking the bow evenly and reducing the amount effort required to draw that beast. Its well worth the money and I was convinced I needed one after my second shot with the bow on the range.

Kern

Woody Williams

Post by Woody Williams » Sat Oct 12, 2002 9:38 pm

It's the best $20 you'll ever spend - crossbow hunting wise :wink:
Woody Williams

We have met the enemy and he is us - Pogo Possum

Hunting in Indiana at [size=84][color=Red][b][url=http://huntingindiana.proboards52.com]HUNT-INDIANA[/url][/b][/color][/size]

Jim C

Post by Jim C » Sat Oct 12, 2002 9:41 pm

If you are really serious,and can afford it,. here is my advice and it is what I do. I rarely if ever practice with the exomag hunting bow I own. I rarely practice with the 150 pound vixen that I now hunt with(when I get the time-coaching and running a range as well as practicing law doesn't leave much time these days!!). Rather, I practice all the time with a target PB and a PB with a hunting scope or a vixen lite with a scope. I can cock a 90 pound PB by hand 100 times in two hours-the vixen lite, almost as much. My hunting bows, I shoot enough to know-intimately-the sights and trajectory. By shooting the lighter bows at least 60 times a week-all year round, I feel that I can confidently shoot the hunting bows without tearing up a back that has two busted cervical discs and a couple sore lumbar ones

wabi

Post by wabi » Sat Oct 12, 2002 9:42 pm

I shoot a Vixen and find hands to be the best for me. I've had some back injuries and the cocking aid causes me to have to extend more upright, which is uncomfortable. I use thumbs along the rail for alignment, and have no accuracy problems.
wabi

10Ring

Rope Cocking Aid

Post by 10Ring » Sat Oct 12, 2002 10:27 pm

I use my Vixen for 3D and try to cut out any source of shooting error I can.

The rope cocking aid will cut the felt weight of cocking an Exomag in half, to 100# which means you'll have 50# in each hand and this simple device aids accuracy by precisely centering the string exactly the same for each shot. I can cock an Exomag by hand but use the rope cocking aid on the 150# Vixen mainly for accuracy, it's a great accessory.
10Ring

striper

Cocking aids for the exomax.

Post by striper » Sat Oct 12, 2002 10:49 pm

:?: Why not use the cocking aid? I have both the cockeroo and the cocking aid because I have a crushed left wrist and am physically unable to cock my Exocet by hand. Even if I were able, I would still use the cocking aid and save the wear and tear on my hands and back. Striper
May your days be long and your hunts many. Pray that the God of the Bible will protect you as you go.

DaveyC

Post by DaveyC » Sat Oct 12, 2002 11:17 pm

The cocking aid is the only way to go. After sighting in my 'mag without one my hands could not even pull it after 20 or so shots. Also you know that that the string is lined up on every shot.

Digger

cocking aid or hands

Post by Digger » Sun Oct 13, 2002 1:38 am

I have a cocking aid and am waiting for my crankaroo to get to Gagnons this week. Due to a mild stroke last year my right side is weak and even with the cocking aid more than 15 cockings and my arm feels like it will fall off. I was going to go the acu-draw route but they would have to drill holes in the stock :cry: not likely

Digger
Digger
2008 Y25 Relayer #593 Boo string, lumizone
2-1984 Relayer,
2-1992 Wolverine
Excal Phoenix, acudraw, VARizone
T.P. Titan TL4, acudraw 50, Varizone
Vixen, Steddy Eddy, Varizone
Martin Rage
Martin Jaguar
PSE Infinity

Digger

cocking aid or hands

Post by Digger » Sun Oct 13, 2002 1:39 am

I have a cocking aid and am waiting for my crankaroo to get to Gagnons this week. Due to a mild stroke last year my right side is weak and even with the cocking aid more than 15 cockings and my arm feels like it will fall off. I was going to go the acu-draw route but they would have to drill holes in the stock :cry: not likely.

Digger
Last edited by Digger on Tue Oct 15, 2002 8:31 am, edited 2 times in total.
Digger
2008 Y25 Relayer #593 Boo string, lumizone
2-1984 Relayer,
2-1992 Wolverine
Excal Phoenix, acudraw, VARizone
T.P. Titan TL4, acudraw 50, Varizone
Vixen, Steddy Eddy, Varizone
Martin Rage
Martin Jaguar
PSE Infinity

Brampton Mike

Post by Brampton Mike » Sun Oct 13, 2002 7:21 am

Cocking rope....definitely more accurate!!!!!!!!! Brampton Mike :lol:

stueynz

Post by stueynz » Tue Oct 15, 2002 6:45 am

I bought a goats foot cocking lever for my barnett panzer, best money I ever spent, won't shoot at the same spot out to 30m and can load the bow while lying prone, which aids in follow up shots.-stueynz

Leo in Ga

Post by Leo in Ga » Wed Oct 16, 2002 8:33 am

It's a "no brainer " for me... cocking rope all the way...just makes more sense 8)

leo