Crossbow history/identification

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

L-Roy

Crossbow history/identification

Post by L-Roy » Wed Oct 16, 2002 3:21 am

Hello all,
A customer recently brought a strange crossbow into the shop for a new string. It is of all metal construction except for the string and prod. The only identifying markings are the word Oakwood, with two oak leaves and two acorns near the trigger guard.

On the prod are the letters and numbers, A26P and 200lb.

Anyone ever see one of these?

I do have photos I'll send via private email.

Any help in identification will be appreciated,

Digger

xbow ID

Post by Digger » Wed Oct 16, 2002 4:57 am

L-Roy

is this bow a compound design or recurve? You could send a picture to me at [email protected]
It may be an old Barnett or any number of no name brands.

Digger
Digger
2008 Y25 Relayer #593 Boo string, lumizone
2-1984 Relayer,
2-1992 Wolverine
Excal Phoenix, acudraw, VARizone
T.P. Titan TL4, acudraw 50, Varizone
Vixen, Steddy Eddy, Varizone
Martin Rage
Martin Jaguar
PSE Infinity

Jim C

Post by Jim C » Wed Oct 16, 2002 8:24 am

Barnett's first all metal bow (save for the prod and the string) was a bow called the "Panzer". It featured an aluminum stock which had a powdered black finish. The next all metal bow they made (once again the prod was fiberglass) was the commando-a self cocking job featuring brass hooks and a long stock extension that served as a cocking lever. These both came out in the early 1980's and I doubt that the bow in question is either version since most barnetts were made in England back then.

several taiwanese companies made copies of the panzer style bow. another bow that had an all metal frame was a saxon which was distributed out of florida. Saxon is a brand which I have shot but do not own so I can't say what the markings on it are