Interesting "Doctor" Day

This area is for other topics not associated with crossbows or crossbow hunting.
DrDan

Interesting "Doctor" Day

Post by DrDan » Wed Dec 16, 2009 10:41 pm

Well, I didn't feel right with the surgeon who proposed putting a bypass around my blocked aorta to feed blood to my legs. Just felt like he was a young snip who was gung hoe to try new things and make $$$. He had done "four" of these bypass surgeries in his career.

Today I met with a vascular surgeon who is more my age - he's 63 - I'm 65. He has been teaching vascular surgery at Ohio State University and a practicing vascular surgeon for 30 some years. Known all over the world and a man who doesn't mind taking time to explain things.

I sat with him for over an hour and he took me back in his office and showed me my whole circulatory tree. He told me what he'd have to do to fix it and gave me all the information I was interested in. After all, he is a teacher - he has to be able to communicate and he also has to stay on top of the subject or the students would tear him to pieces.

One of my questions was, "How many of these surgeries have you done sucessfully?" He said, "In my career?" I said yes. He's done a little over 1000 of these procedures and 100 in 2009. I decided right then and there that he was the man! I then asked him what he'd do if he had this blockage. He told me he personally doesn't like surgery and will do anything to avoid it. So I am going to try a wound pump which draws suction on the wound and pulls blood into it and sucks out the crappy exudate. I'll give it 4 to 8 weeks and if it doesn't work I'll be back on here begging for your blessings. I like this guy - didn't threaten me with a hasty decision whatsoever. Told me we had plenty of time to try less invasive things. I like that - it puts you in a bad position to have a doc telling you if yah don't do this or that you're gonna lose more health. This is the seventh doctor I have been to so far and only two of them seemed to care about me as a living person.

So that's the story for now. Friday noon they gonna put a wound-vac on and I'll keep you all posted on how it's going.

There is lots of good news. My heart is perfect - no plaque. My kidneys are perfect. The blockage is quite aways below the kidneys so there is plenty of room to make the bypass easily. It's just a hell of a surgery and I am not a bifg time pain and suffering kinda guy. The worst part is they have to put a naso-gastric tube in for about three days to suck the bile out of my stomach while the surgery heals. And since they have to move intestines around I'll have to be on liquid diet for 4 or 5 days. Probably lose 15#. Hell that be a good thing!

That's it - no more yammering.....
Phoenix - Equinox
Don't trust anyone wearing a necktie...
DrDan

munch

Re: Interesting "Doctor" Day

Post by munch » Thu Dec 17, 2009 1:28 pm

drdan if you need some help when that thing gets all the poison sucked out of you i can pass your boots on to 45 if you think he can fill them.on second thoughts i should know he will have no prob.
summer told me the only difference in a guy from OH. and a guy from WI.is there rubber boots can't remember who but he said ones boots have the dung on the outside :P :P
PUT IT IN THE BAG MARLIN ( #$%^ you it"ll bite)
BAD NEWS TRAVELS FAST
[email protected]
munchmounts channel utube
munchmounts facebook

DrDan

Post by DrDan » Thu Dec 17, 2009 3:29 pm

Yah 45's boots have the dung on the insides and all stretched out in the front.
Not only is 45 a POS He a pervert POS :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow:
Phoenix - Equinox
Don't trust anyone wearing a necktie...
DrDan

Horizontal Hunter

Post by Horizontal Hunter » Thu Dec 17, 2009 6:24 pm

Sounds like you found the right doctor. Hopefully the wound pump will taske care of the problem.

Bob
Vegetarian: vejiˈte(ə)rēən/noun: old Indian word for lousy hunter.
Excalibur Exocet, GT Laser II, 2" Bhoning Blazers 125g NAP Spitfire

sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 » Thu Dec 17, 2009 8:15 pm

Good luck with the pump DrDan . . .make sure 45 doesn't sneak in and switch it to a pump shotgun. :)
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen

Airwolf

Post by Airwolf » Fri Dec 18, 2009 12:28 am

It sounds like you found the right guy: surgery should always be the treatment of last resort.

The wound vac should work like a charm, just make your your diet is good and gives your body the raw materials for healing.

Have a Great Christmas.
A man who views the world the same at fifty as he did at twenty has wasted thirty years of his life.

Black Vixen carved tip

Kelley

Post by Kelley » Fri Dec 18, 2009 9:09 am

Glad to hear this Dan.
Kelley
Exocet 200
Varizone
Boo String
Groundpounder Mount
Crazy Farmer's CowWhackers
STS
Spitfire

dick195252

Post by dick195252 » Sat Dec 19, 2009 7:40 am

Great to Hear!! It is a SAD day when you have to go to 7 doctors to find one that CARES about the Person they are treating!!
Exomax, Lumizone, Boo String, NRA, ACf, Member, [Proud Grandpa!!!]