My thoughts on the school shootings

This area is for other topics not associated with crossbows or crossbow hunting.
Pydpiper

Re: My thoughts on the school shootings

Post by Pydpiper » Fri Dec 14, 2012 9:02 pm

It is sad, no matter how you look at it.
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string

sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 » Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:43 pm

I am just glad my kids are here at home, safe and sound. Their hugs felt a lot better today than they normally do.

Not sure there is an answer, but, it reminds me of the line from the movie War Games . . ."I'd piss on a spark plug if it would help".

Most of the "experts" are calling for more control . . .but, based on what we have seen, that would not have prevented the shootings of late.
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen

xsh0tya

Post by xsh0tya » Fri Dec 14, 2012 11:35 pm

jh45gun wrote:No easy answers here, but as a FBI profiler said on NBC you cannot blame the gun you need to blame the person who commits these crimes as he noted in China a man stabbed 33 kids in a school he did not have a gun but done as much damage. Maybe we should be like Israel and have armed teachers or guards in the schools. Lets face it a lot of schools are a no gun zone making it a perfect target to attack innocent people with no worries of resistance. If you outlawed guns it would not solve anything lots of countries that do not allow its citizens guns use other methods to kill. In England crimes using knives have risen dramatically since they have implemented their hand gun laws. But I also hope those against guns realize that there is a bigger problem here than guns it is a society that has gone wrong. You seldom ever heard of this sort of behavior in our generation or generations before us. That is the issue and to find out why.
45 your best post thus far. Giving more guns to teachers won't help IMO. The coward terrorist in China stabbed 22 and killed none. Big difference to if he had a gun. I do agree there is a bigger problem but the ease of obtaining a gun and ammo is a HUGE factor to each act of terror. As far as other countries:

xsh0tya

Post by xsh0tya » Sat Dec 15, 2012 3:04 am

To be honest I am not a fan of gun control, but there needs to be something done. Too many irresponsible folks have access, and with now more and more people using them for pure evil, society needs to do something. Have to see what the big wigs cook up now.

I do draw the line of my beliefs and rights at the mass slaughter of truly innocent lives. :x :(
Last edited by xsh0tya on Sat Dec 15, 2012 3:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

xsh0tya

Post by xsh0tya » Sat Dec 15, 2012 3:23 am

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_co ... death_rate

US in total deaths by firearm is number 12th and first out of those lists of countries in the picture. So even per capita its not looking good. :shock:

evaughan

Post by evaughan » Sat Dec 15, 2012 9:10 am

These crimes have little to do with gun control or lack thereof. These unspeakable acts of mass violence are universally committed by those struggling with untreated mental illness. Access to good healthcare prevents and reduces these crimes far more than gun control.
excal vortex w/ vari-zone
custom 2219's
BOO custom string
gobblestalker custom calls
WMU's 80,84,86

evaughan

Post by evaughan » Sat Dec 15, 2012 9:10 am

These crimes have little to do with gun control or lack thereof. These unspeakable acts of mass violence are universally committed by those struggling with untreated mental illness. Access to good healthcare prevents and reduces these crimes far more than gun control.
excal vortex w/ vari-zone
custom 2219's
BOO custom string
gobblestalker custom calls
WMU's 80,84,86

sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 » Sat Dec 15, 2012 10:16 am

You want less violence, then have better penalties for petty crimes. Have better education. Have better economies. Have better parenting. Arm everybody and teach them how to use it.

The last time a man went into a police station, in Detroit, four were injured and the gunman was killed. That's the way every gun fight should end.

The more we have the random shootings, the more I want to carry a gun to protect myself from these people. Make the gun laws as tough as you want . . .it would not have stopped this last shooting.

We need to look at these violent movies and video games and see if there is a connection. Why do people decide to grab a gun and start shooting?

Again, America wants to manage the issue and not solve the problem. We need to find the cause and try to eliminate it. What makes people want to kill people????????

I've owned a gun for 35 years and never had the desire to kill anyone.

Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen

bob1961

Post by bob1961 » Sat Dec 15, 2012 11:43 am

look at countries that allow everyone to carry a handgun, crime IS WAY DOWN in those populations as well....look at bigger cities where strick gun laws live and see how high crimes with guns are....it is not ROCKET SCIENCE but i see where things work when people are allowed to carry....
exocet 200. STS dampers.
boo string and trigger work.
munch mount quiver mount.
125 gr slick trick magums.
2" blazers on 2117 XX75 w/ brass inserts.

xsh0tya

Post by xsh0tya » Sat Dec 15, 2012 12:34 pm

sumner4991 wrote:You want less violence, then have better penalties for petty crimes. Have better education. Have better economies. Have better parenting. Arm everybody and teach them how to use it.
The more we have the random shootings, the more I want to carry a gun to protect myself from these people. Make the gun laws as tough as you want . . .it would not have stopped this last shooting.
Again, America wants to manage the issue and not solve the problem. We need to find the cause and try to eliminate it. What makes people want to kill people????????
I agree with part of your statement where tougher laws may not have stopped these random shootings but in the movie shooting in Colorado and this school shooting, both cowardly terrorists had no prior criminal record, so how would better penalties on petty crimes would have helped? Also, guns and ammo were obtained legally.
Both are said to be quite smart, honor roll students. Movie suspect was said to be a genius on grants for education (used money to buy guns) so how would better education help these 2? Better economies? Maybe... however they probably would be able to afford better guns... Better parenting, I'm with you there!
For crimes in general these fixes may work, but this new breed of terrorist is something we need to stomp out right away.

mitch

Post by mitch » Sat Dec 15, 2012 6:14 pm

paper work like registering fire arms are useless.registered fire arm kill as good. Do not fall in the same trap that Canada did 2 billion in useless paper work .Some trusted teacher should be train and have access to fire arm .A very sad thing but a real solution.If you trust the cop with gun why not a train teacher . Those teacher are responsible for the safety of those kids in school give them the tool they need to do it.

xsh0tya

Post by xsh0tya » Sat Dec 15, 2012 10:37 pm

mitch wrote:paper work like registering fire arms are useless.registered fire arm kill as good. Do not fall in the same trap that Canada did 2 billion in useless paper work .Some trusted teacher should be train and have access to fire arm .A very sad thing but a real solution.If you trust the cop with gun why not a train teacher . Those teacher are responsible for the safety of those kids in school give them the tool they need to do it.
More guns sounds like a good answer to help stop gun violence.

xsh0tya

Post by xsh0tya » Sat Dec 15, 2012 10:46 pm

jh45gun wrote:There were 9 theaters in that city in Colorado ONLY ONE had a sign prohibiting guns. Guess which one the shooter picked. A gun free one. Just like most of these shooters that pick schools because they are gun free.
I highly doubt that any of the other theaters would have been more prepared for that kind of attack. In fact with all that went on more guns could be argued to have caused a much higher number of casualities. Alot of what ifs really in that situation. I would like to think that if armed I would be able to stop it, but if I have that idea and say you have that idea what is to say we don't end up engaging each other thinking that you are part of the attack and vice versa.

sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 » Sat Dec 15, 2012 11:27 pm

Mitch . . .I like it. I was telling my wife the same thing earlier today. Every teacher would not need a gun, just a few. Train them along side the cops.

If we ban guns because they kill people, then we should do the same with cars, motorcycles, airplanes . . .heck, the list goes on and on.

We have hundreds of millions of gun owners out there . . .and only a handfull of crazy people.

Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen

DrDan

Post by DrDan » Sat Dec 15, 2012 11:55 pm

I think this is just the start of it all. The United Nations wants to disarm all of us just like Hitler did in Germany. When this begins you better expect mass shootings to escalate beyond anything you have ever dreamt of. We have a freaking president leading us into economic collapse so we are more equal to the rest of the United Nations. Tax the businesses 100% destroy the economy, escalate our national debt beyond control, disarm the military - it all fits. Lock and load my friends the time is coming....
Phoenix - Equinox
Don't trust anyone wearing a necktie...
DrDan