A Little Piece of History

This area is for other topics not associated with crossbows or crossbow hunting.
IronNoggin

A Little Piece of History

Post by IronNoggin » Thu Feb 20, 2020 2:48 pm

Just down the road a ways, they are tearing down one of the early hotels built here in Port Alberni.
The Arrowview Hotel was built in 1927 of chiefly huge old growth fir.

Here is a brief history of the hotel: https://raincoasthistory.blogspot.com/2016/07/a-brief-history-of-arrowview-hotel-in.html

I decided I needed a piece of that old gal, so chided and bribed my way into an 12 foot section of 2" x 12" main floor joist.

Pulling the nails out of that was something alright! That has to be the densest / hardest piece of timber I've ever run across!
It will be quite the effort to work with I am guessing.
I plan on cutting it down just a tad, and after re-finishing it, mounting it as the new mantelpiece above our living room fireplace.

Be kind of sweet to have that little piece of history preserved and well displayed in our home methinks.

Cheers,
Nog
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

artifact

Re: A Little Piece of History

Post by artifact » Thu Feb 20, 2020 3:27 pm

That's great to repurpose something that will preserve a bit of history. Would be nice to get a small engraved brass plate put on it to signify its origin.

janesy

Post by janesy » Thu Feb 20, 2020 5:19 pm

Very cool Matt, we are big of historical pieces at work. Always try to incorporate the past in everything we do for the future.
Micro-Hybrid-bulldog "PitBull370"
MOBU Micro BD345 "Greener"
Blackout BD-Axe "Hatchet340"

Every little sound in the bush sounds like footsteps... Until you hear footsteps!

paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform » Fri Feb 21, 2020 1:44 pm

artifact wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 3:27 pm
That's great to repurpose something that will preserve a bit of history. Would be nice to get a small engraved brass plate put on it to signify its origin.
I love this idea....I can't wait to see the finished product buddy! :thumbup:

Paul
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.

IronNoggin

Post by IronNoggin » Fri Feb 21, 2020 4:01 pm

artifact wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 3:27 pm
The Lady & I discussed your idea last night and firmly agree.
It Shall Be Done!

Cheers & Thanks!
Nog
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."