New here but not to Excal

This area is for other topics not associated with crossbows or crossbow hunting.
wheelsquad

New here but not to Excal

Post by wheelsquad » Fri Jun 05, 2020 10:41 pm

Been hunting with crossbow in MN with disability permit since 2008. Hunted with compound vertical bow since I was 13 from 1995 through 2002 when I had my spinal cord injury. Still used compound vertical with a special made release setup after SCI, but after struggling to get good shots at deer for a few years I decided to start hunting with a crossbow.

Excals are the only crossbow I've ever owned or ever plan to own.

Phoenix was my first one in 2008, and after owning it for only a few months I realized that the new them thumbhole stocks worked way better for me. So I sold it and got a Vortex. Made a couple tweaks to the Vortex right away to work a little better for me. Been killing deer with the Vortex ever since. I went from getting zero deer with vertical compound from 2002 through 2007, to at least one deer a year since then.

Started doing even more tweaking about a year ago, and then l also got a 308 Short so my Dad could start using my Vortex.

Acquired an HHA Optimizer from a friend and put that on the Vortex. Soon realized there was no way to get a good cheek rest at that height. Came across some options here on this site. The one I liked most was a 3D printed option, but that thread was a few years old already. Decided to take a stab at designing my own and having a local company print it for me. Turned out so well I've made a couple dozen for guys on fb groups and crossbownation. Everyone who has one has said it's a huge improvement, even with factory scope and rings and even compared to the Excal cheek rest. I'll probably make a separate post on that later. It's fully height adjustable for standard and HHA. Anyone interested in one or want to see a pic right away, send me a message. I'm not making any $$ on these, just making them available since there aren't any non-DIY options out there I can find.

Truth be told I've learned a lot from the members on this forum even since before I bought my Phoenix. Time to pay it forward. Thanks everyone, new or veteran.

Hatchet

Re: New here but not to Excal

Post by Hatchet » Sat Jun 06, 2020 11:47 am

Welcome to the forum wheelsquad. I am fairly new to this forum myself. The guys here are a great resource and they treat each other like family. If you have any questions don't hesitate to ask. I have read a few of your posts on crossbownation. The posts were about modifications you had done to your Excal to make it more user friendly. I would love to see some pics of that 3d printed cheek rest. I have an Excalibur cheekpiece coming for one of my Axes. On the other Axe I have been using layered paracord.
Take care
Hatchet

wheelsquad

Post by wheelsquad » Sun Jun 07, 2020 12:25 pm

Thanks. Layered paracord as a cheek rest? Have any pics of that?

I should get a chance to get on the laptop later today to start a thread here on the cheek rest. Can do it on the phone but much faster on the computer. I'll pm you a couple pics in the meantime.

Hatchet

Post by Hatchet » Sun Jun 07, 2020 4:09 pm

I needed a cheekpiece not so much for height but a reference point to make sure I put my cheek in the same spot every time. I put my cheekbone against the knot towards the front. It's alway nice to have a length of paracord around when out in the woods. On the Excal cheekpiece I have coming I plan to add a textured spot of spray rubber. I like the one you designed it looks great on that black bow.

[url=https://postimg.cc/R6sTJSTV]Image