Open Sights vs Varizone Scope

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

exocet

Open Sights vs Varizone Scope

Post by exocet »

Any of you fellas try the comparison between the open sights that come with the Exocet and the Varizone scope? I shot my buddies Exocet with the Varizone scope and it was fantastic, but ma curious how good the open sights are on the Exocet? My buddy never even tried the supplied sights. The reason I ask is 2 fold, 1 I would like the bow to be lighter and 2 that it will save me some money(I can always get the scope later). Any good pictures of an Exocet with the supplied open sights? Thank you-Jack.
wabi

Post by wabi »

I prefer the factory f/o & peep sights for hunting. I've missed a couple deer over the years because I forgot all about the trajectory and just used the crosshairs in the vari-zone to aim. I figure a single aiming point is less confusing in the excitement of having a deer up close, so I just use the factory sights now. I sight in for 25 yards, and any shot inside 30 will be in the vitals. If I'm cool enough to worry about the actual shot yardage I can use a little KY elevation (hold over/under) and be even more precise with the shot, if not all I have to remember is that 0-30 yards is good for a shot and beyond 30 is not a good shot. (and the bottom post in the front sight is on at about 37 yards with a 300 fps arrow if I need to reach out a little further)
wabi
new paradox

Post by new paradox »

I have scopes on all my rifles for the over a hundred yard shots,but on my Paradox I use the fibreoptics and they are great.Sited in at 20 and the top and bottom pins are good for around 5 and up and 35 and down.Even if I'm shaking from the cold,they make for a easy hit.Plus if you are banging the bow around there is less sticking out to get bumped and go wrong.
ComfyBear

Post by ComfyBear »

In my opinion to trying compare the factory optic sights to the Vari-zone is like trying to compare a prop plane to a jet.

Not only for hunting, but especially for 3D using the Vari-zone will help improve accuracy and versatility. Those who choose not to use one are definitely not getting the full potential out of their Excalibur.
ComfyBear
Micro Axe 340, Matrix 380, Matrix 355, Matrix 350, Exocet 200
ComfyBear Strings
G5 Montecs 125gr., SlickTrick 125 gr. Magnums

To thine own self be true.
Remove thine mask Polonius.
Live thy truth, doth not be false to any man.
CYCLONE

Post by CYCLONE »

If you can consistantly drill a skoal can at 30 yards with the fiber optics you are golden or you probably can with some more practice. If you can't and have $100 to blow+ then get the scope, it will help. To me having shot verticle bows for so long the thought of the Excalibur not having a scope never crossed my mind. Heck, thats why I went with the Vixen so the whole set up would be more afforable.
If you can't Dodge It, Ram IT
JCB

Adjusting the Fiber Optic sight

Post by JCB »

I just bought an Exomax and got it sighted in for elevation. But it is still shooting a little to the right. I figured that if I want the impact to move to the left a little, I should move the front sight to the right. So, I did.

But did I figure that correctly? Does moving the pin to the right cause the impact on target to move to the left?

I would appreciate your experience on this as I have already lost two bolts :oops:
Archery Season is so long--I had to buy a Crossbow!
wabi

Post by wabi »

But did I figure that correctly? Does moving the pin to the right cause the impact on target to move to the left?
Correct!!!!
wabi
chris4570

Re: Adjusting the Fiber Optic sight

Post by chris4570 »

[quote="JCB" But did I figure that correctly? Does moving the pin to the right cause the impact on target to move to the left?

I would appreciate your experience on this as I have already lost two bolts :oops:[/quote]

I took me a bit to figure this one out, being accustomed to adjusting peep sights for rifles. The difference of course is that the sight on the crossbow is at the front whereas the sight on a rifle is at the rear. So the opposite of what one would do to sight in there rear mounted peep sight is necessary to sight in the crossbow with factory sights.
You can take the man out of the woods but you can't take the woods out of the man.

"Celebrate your harvest with a Bloodtrail Ale(tm)!!"
"It CAN Be Done!"
Leo in Ga

Post by Leo in Ga »

I use the VZ scope primarily because of my poor eye sight and as a accuracy aid (lines for reference) :D

When I bought my used Vixen it had the factory peep sights on it and I was amazed at their accuracy, especially at the 20-25 yd range. I
I did not leave the peep on long enough to really evaluate it, but I feel I could have used it for normal hunting ranges with acceptable accuracy :D
wabi

Post by wabi »

ComfyBear wrote
In my opinion to trying compare the factory optic sights to the Vari-zone is like trying to compare a prop plane to a jet.

Not only for hunting, but especially for 3D using the Vari-zone will help improve accuracy and versatility. Those who choose not to use one are definitely not getting the full potential out of their Excalibur.
ComfyBear,
I'm not trying to start a pi**ing contest by any means, and I respect your opinion, but I have to disagree about getting the full potential. Actually in many cases the prop plane has distinct advantages. It's not as high-tech and fast, but it's more maneuverable and requires less room to take off & land. If your primary interest is getting from point A to point B quickly the jet wins, but if you want a scenic trip the prop plane is the best choice.
If your primary use of the crossbow is deer hunting, and you are limiting shot range to 30 yards and under the vari-zone can actually create problems. (Or at least it did for me. :wink: ) With the varizone adjusted for velocity and sighted with the crosshair dead-on at 20 yards the drop at around 30 yards with a 300fps arrow is enough to go just under a deer's chest if you use the crosshair instead of the 30 yard chevron to aim. That's exactly what I did once. The other time I used the 40 yard instead of the 30 yard chevron on a buck at 31 or 32 yards. That's enough to shoot right over his back if he drops slightly (which he did). I've owned and used a vari-zone, and they are a very accurate means of sighting and compensating for trajectory at out to 50 yards, but they also complicate the process in the fact that you need to know exact yardage and use the proper aiming point. I've found I can shoot almost as tight of groups with the f/o & peep sights, and when sighted in at 25 yards with a 300fps arrow I can easily keep all shots out to 30 yards in a 3 or 4" circle (not shooting from a rest, but offhand as in a hunting situation) if I do my part as far as good shooting form. Actually the top of the f/o dot is a better aiming point at out to about 20 yards and the bottom of the dot at 30 if I want more precise aiming, but just using the dot will keep shots in the kill zone out to 30 yards. Since I don't shoot deer beyond 30 yards the accuracy of the vari-zone at 50 yards is unimportant to me. If I shoot a round of 3-D, I can use the post below the f/o dot for 37 yards, and I haven't tried it yet, but the bottom of the front sight ring should be close at around 45 yards I'm guessing. (I'll check before I shoot 3-D :lol: )
So, for me the factory sights are the best choice for deer hunting IMHO. I've missed deer with the vari-zone due to "pilot error" (picking the wrong aiming point under stress), and with the factory sights sighted in for a dead-on hold out to 30 yards this chance of error is eliminated.
I refer to a dead-on hold as the sighting at the center of the vital area and the trajectory of the arrow does not take it out of the vital area in this case.
wabi
exocet

Post by exocet »

Very good stuff gents!! Believe me, I loved the Varizone scope, and may eventually get one, but will give the F/O & Peep a try first. I will shoot no further than 30 yards, so I imagine it should work well. My eyesight is very good. Thanks to all that commented :D Jack.
Tom

Post by Tom »

With a scope you gain with some and lose some other factors. Normally, I find it this way, with peep sights you can be quicker to get your sights onto the animal but with a scope, it will magnify light in low light conditions. Also a scope has a tendicy to narrow your sight of view when looking through it, but you are able to get alot closer look at where you actually want the arrow to enter (you know, picking out the hair you want to hit, instead of a 6 inch area). With a bow, needing a scope is not really necessary as peep or pin sights will be accurate enough to take down any animal.

I personally went to a scope on my bow because only my shotgun would be without a scope (have since put one on it too). I wanted to have the same familular feeling when shouldering my choice of weapon.

Again, the use of a scope or a peep sight on a bow is only a choice. Choose what you want then go and enjoy shooting.

Good luck.
Tom
[img]http://hometown.aol.com/wingbonecall/images/turkey.gif[/img]
wabi

Post by wabi »

Bob,
I'll agree the scope adds about 10 minutes of shooting light to each end of the day, but I've also blown a shot with the vari-zone because I failed to see a small cedar branch in the arrow's path through the scope in low light. That shot wasn't not so fortunate as to be a clean miss, but drew blood. However I lost that buck :( Spent half the night and most of the next day tracking, but never found him. That's another reason I went back to the peep & f/o sights. In my opinion if it's too dark to see the sights it's too dark to be shooting at a deer. Yep, I've had to let a few walk without shooting, but there's no guarantee it wouldn't have been another bad hit because I failed to see well enough to notice some potential problem with the shot.
wabi
JCB

Post by JCB »

Wabi: Excellent Point about not being able to see twigs and small vines when the light is low. Scopes can sometimes make these things disappear from view in low light.

And it is something to watch out for even when gun hunting with a scope--that you are not taking a shot through brush that you cannot see in the scope in twilight.

Sometimes scopes with AO can adjust to see things between you and your target, but no one puts a scope with AO on a Crossbow!
Archery Season is so long--I had to buy a Crossbow!
hikerman

Post by hikerman »

I was considering buying a scope for my exocet my self, you guys have some great info!!