FOC FACT AND FALLACY

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

awshucks

FOC FACT AND FALLACY

Post by awshucks »

I've been reading about Bob in Pa. problem sighting in his Vzone. Since his FOC is the same as mine, 20% which is at the high end, I decided to do some accuracy tests. The arrows in question are Lii"s, 4" vanes, brass inserts, for a total weight of 431 gfr. w/ 100 gr, tip. Mine balanced at 14" for FOC of 20%. Today, I adjusted my balance down to 13" or 15% FOC by screwing 1" of steel 8-32 tpi rod into nock. Weight of this addition 25 gr. After testing at 30 yds bench, I could see no difference, and having been told that a high end FOC would affect longer range accuracy, I benched 3 shots at 50 ydsa, from Emax [about 330 fps]. I don't know how to post pics here, but the one I have shows three slick tricks all in the bottom of the black on a "Block" target at 50 yds. They were less than 3" wide overall. While I can see no use for 40 or50 yd shots here in Arkansas, just thought I'd share the results.
"Eze 18:21"
Jim C

Post by Jim C »

I can tell you in TNC we shoot 12-13" 1714/1716/1814 with 200-250 grain points and that has been the case for years. Serious FOC. ONe of the top technical guys in the country was using 125 grain bullets at NFAA louisville (THE GUY who SHOULD BE THIRD-they screwed up the scores btw I was 5th not 4th) and he noted for indoor those "light" points were fine but outdoors they didn't cut it
TNC and ACF Member
NFAA and NAA Certified Coach
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

Jim C: With all due respect, Thats just a little more than I can digest. Could you explain what your FOC is on that set-up? Thank you!!
Jim C

Post by Jim C »

awshucks wrote:Jim C: With all due respect, Thats just a little more than I can digest. Could you explain what your FOC is on that set-up? Thank you!!
No idea, never measured it. I know what all the top guys use (all 20 of us :P ) and went with those who were in it before I was.

I don't spend too much time worrying about numbers. I shoot and make sure the bow groups. I don't float arrows in the bathtub. I don't set the plunger on my recurve bow to hit the seam on aluminum arrows. I don't even weigh my tournament arrows.

I SHOOT them alot and if an arrow doesn't group THEN I worry about that stuff. I think PRACTICING FORM is more important than being a gadget head
TNC and ACF Member
NFAA and NAA Certified Coach
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

Kinda like the proofs in the pudding?? I'm w/ you on that.