IBO RULES

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Jim C

IBO RULES

Post by Jim C »

I am setting up a phoenix for WCSA sport which mirrors the IBO as to poundage and Speed. WCSA specifically allows Stabilizers

The IBO rules are rather nebulous demanding that the crossbows be stock. Does that exclude putting a point blanc stabilizer bracket on a phoenix?
TNC and ACF Member
NFAA and NAA Certified Coach
Mark

Post by Mark »

Jim i asked the same questions about aftermarket stocks , i was told that the crossbows working members can not be modified from factory specs. This excluded bolt on acc. The limbs , risers , triggers , rail , string and safety had to remain factory original. Stocks as long as they were not adjustable , sights and stabilizers could all be changed or modified to shooters choice.

I have not been in touch with anyone lately on the regulations , the corespondance i had was over 2 years ago.

Mark
Exomag ,Exocet,Micro 335
Scorpyd Ventilator
Gold tip laser bolts, Zombie Slayers,Spynal Tapp
Slick Trick, Rage, Magnus bullhead
Danny Miller Strings
Shoot a big one, Let the grunts walk
Jim C

Post by Jim C »

Well in that case I probably will want a stock from you-not as drastic as the one I have on my Current PB tournament bow though :D
TNC and ACF Member
GaryL

Post by GaryL »

Last word I have is nutten much has changed in the xbow section. I can check and get a copy of the rules and any changes on xbows if you should need them Jim C. I be only 5 min. from the Main Office (IBO) and can run (drive) down and check with Ken. :D
Always learning!!
Home fer now!
Jim C

Post by Jim C »

GaryL wrote:Last word I have is nutten much has changed in the xbow section. I can check and get a copy of the rules and any changes on xbows if you should need them Jim C. I be only 5 min. from the Main Office (IBO) and can run (drive) down and check with Ken. :D
thanks, my wife is a charter life member and gets updates but I haven't seen anything that really addresses the issue.

I shoot some club 3D but never went ot a major-they always are on the same dates that major FITA recurve shoots are but I am thinking of hitting some of the big shoots in the near future or at least some of the state level tournaments
TNC and ACF Member
widowman

Post by widowman »

Jim

The IBO does has a website with a forum section. The forum is frequented by Ken Watkins and all of your questions will be quickly answered. If they don't know the answer they will find out what you need to know and get back with you.

The problem with the IBO crossbow division is the lack of participants. It may be different in your home state of OH, because to the large numbers of crossbow users. However, at the IBO world finals there were less then 10 shooters. I guess by shooting it you help the problem. But, I would not feel the same thrill if I were the only shooter.

As far as which bow, I would just shoot a stock bow. Due to the fact that IBO is a hunting organization, I like the divisions that use typical hunting rigs. Open divisions are there for the competition(there is only one crossbow division), but I have yet to see a guy in a tree stand with a 36" stabilizer. Personally, I shoot the TRD division with my hunting bow (59#@27"), although it seems that the winners are shooting low-mid 40# setups.
Jim C

Post by Jim C »

widowman wrote:Jim

The IBO does has a website with a forum section. The forum is frequented by Ken Watkins and all of your questions will be quickly answered. If they don't know the answer they will find out what you need to know and get back with you.

The problem with the IBO crossbow division is the lack of participants. It may be different in your home state of OH, because to the large numbers of crossbow users. However, at the IBO world finals there were less then 10 shooters. I guess by shooting it you help the problem. But, I would not feel the same thrill if I were the only shooter.

As far as which bow, I would just shoot a stock bow. Due to the fact that IBO is a hunting organization, I like the divisions that use typical hunting rigs. Open divisions are there for the competition(there is only one crossbow division), but I have yet to see a guy in a tree stand with a 36" stabilizer. Personally, I shoot the TRD division with my hunting bow (59#@27"), although it seems that the winners are shooting low-mid 40# setups.
Next year, I believe the WCSA world tournament will be in the USA. There are two divisions, one is "sport" and that is my main focus-if not for me but a boy I coach who would be better served shooting SPORT since aiming a 10 pound or less bow would be easier than the 14-22 pound target rigs. The Distances are also shorter. I figured I would set this rig up and put alot of arrows through it so its "grooved" by next summer.

The sighting system is not a hunting system but I don't think shooting foam animals where people can spend two minutes glassing the target walking left and right of the stake, letting down before shooting has anything to do with real bowhunting anymore than learning to shoot a 60M crossing target in clays is "hunting practice".

I have nothing but respect for people who actually shoot 3D the way they hunt, real hunting rigs, no extended "range finding" or other theatrics but I see tournaments as a competition to be won-within the rules, not practice for deer hunting given my ability to hit a deer with a crossbow at HUNTING ranges is a non issue
TNC and ACF Member
widowman

Post by widowman »

The sighting system is not a hunting system but I don't think shooting foam animals where people can spend two minutes glassing the target walking left and right of the stake, letting down before shooting has anything to do with real bowhunting anymore than learning to shoot a 60M crossing target in clays is "hunting practice".
Jim I agree, somewhat, I wish that the competition was based more on hunting setup's. Because of this feeling, I find it hard to shoot a target rig. I guess to each thier own. Now would be the time to do it, before someone complains and most restrictions are included.

The whole thing is almost like the crossbow debate. Nowhere knows where the "line" is, as far as what is too much. Or if too much even makes a difference.

From the looks of it the class can use all the shooters you can find. I thought that the traditional field was small. In Maryland I have never seen a crossbow at an IBO competition.

What are the crossbow shooter numbers at on the 3-d courses in OH? How many participate at the IBO State Champ's?
GaryL

Post by GaryL »

widowman ask What are the crossbow shooter numbers at on the 3-d courses in OH? How many participate at the IBO State Champ's?

At are club their are about 10 at most shoots, as for the IBO State Champ's I don't know. :D

GaryL
Always learning!!
Home fer now!
widowman

Post by widowman »

GaryL

Are you also from OH?

How how many compound? Recurve/Longbow?
GaryL

Post by GaryL »

widowman wrote:GaryL

Are you also from OH?

How how many compound? Recurve/Longbow?
Yes widowman, 25 miles east of Sandusky, compound shooters 30+, how many Recurve/longbow about like xbow 10-15.... :D
Always learning!!
Home fer now!