APEX TARGET BOW

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Jim C

APEX TARGET BOW

Post by Jim C »

I have spoken to Danny Miller and Bill T and hope to acquire this new target bow in the next couple weeks and do a review of it. Some of you may have seen my review and suggested modifications to the Point Blanc in Crossbow Connections and TNC's periodic newsletter three or so years ago. One of the issues will be whether the riser mounted front sight element can accept a mount for a sureloc or check it sight which is crucial for serious target work. The second will be the balance issue since the APEX no longer has the extended rail but rather an extended stirrup (which might make the bow easier to pack-the Point Blanc required removal of the stirrup since it was not on the same plane as the stock to which it was attached unlike the hunting bows where the stirrup is on the same plane and is attached to the prod and riser assembly.

When we get it I plan on having a boy I coach (he shoots 300 or so shots a week out of a slightly modified PB and is in better practice than I am currently) shoot a 30 arrow FITA I with it (He is averaging about 290 right now) without it being modified and then try to fit it with a better front sight and perhaps an adjustable cheekpiece
TNC and ACF Member
NFAA and NAA Certified Coach
Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

Hey, Jim ...

I thought the Apex looked like it would be fun to have for some target shooting inside ( I have a 20 yard enclosed space to shoot) ... be a breeze to cock and easy on the target butt. I like to shoot crossbows from a bench, just to be amazed at what they can do ... like to set up toy soldiers and animals in front of a butt and snipe them!

Will be interested to read your review.
Grizz
pokynojoe

Post by pokynojoe »

I look forward to your critique.

Joe
wabi

Post by wabi »

Looking forward to a report on it. Looks like it might just be the thing to start my 6 year old out with, and I could probably force myself to act like I would enjoy shooting it, too.
wabi
Jim C

Post by Jim C »

90 pounds is easy to cock-in 6 straight (I missed last year due to playing in a Squash tournament my late father had started and it was his last appearance) Ohio state tournaments I shot recurve in the morning and Crossbow in the afternoon and it wasn't tough cocking this bow about 70 times a day for two days after shooting recurve in the morning.

They are total fun with a cheap score or even the peep sight. I leave one set up at my private range with a tasco scope for people just to shoot and everyone loves it. strings last a long time on these type bows and with the PB if you add some weight-a cheeck piece and a good sight you can shoot a 300 N FAA score with one
TNC and ACF Member
widowman

Post by widowman »

What is the power stroke on that one?

What length bolt does it shoot?
Jim C

Post by Jim C »

widowman wrote:What is the power stroke on that one?

What length bolt does it shoot?
the power stroke is rather short-under 14" IIRC. the bolts can go down well below 20". TO get 65M (the max for IAU tournaments) we were using 2012 or 2112 X7. I believe the bolts they will sell for that bow are 2113 21/64 is the new standard for WCSA tournaments, IAU didn't have a limt but our national organization has adopted the world crossbow shooters association 21/64 (which meant the 22 series gold tips I used to use are no longer legal)

excalibur specifies nothing less than a .300 inch diamater bolt which the 21/65 just meets but we were experimenting with lighter thinner stuff -I cannot recommend this to people though.
TNC and ACF Member
widowman

Post by widowman »

IAU didn't have a limt but our national organization has adopted the world crossbow shooters association 21/64 (which meant the 22 series gold tips I used to use are no longer legal)

No "line cutters"

Why? Just for that reason?
Jim C

Post by Jim C »

widowman wrote:IAU didn't have a limt but our national organization has adopted the world crossbow shooters association 21/64 (which meant the 22 series gold tips I used to use are no longer legal)

No "line cutters"

Why? Just for that reason?
Most of the target crossbows use 17/64 shafting (the X7 1716-no longer made is craved by TNC shooters-many are using 1714 X7 or 1716 or 1813 Platinum XX75 instead). the reason being was most xbow archers were going to use the same bow for the indoor and outdoor tournaments and a 22 or 23/64 bolt has horrible wind drift at 65M or the 70 Meter FITAS we shoot

[Standard IAU round was 30 shots on a 60CM target at 65M, 30 shots at a 60CM at 50M and 30 shots at a 40CM at 35 m-the new WCSA round is 65/55/45 all on the 60CM face) If this round is shot with FITA archers at NAA tournaments it means the crossbows require different target sets and they are not in sync with the recurve and compound archers so in tournaments I run and in Our State tournament the xbow archers shot a FITA at the ladies distance 70/60 on the big target or an 80 and 50/30 on the 80 or 60. This keeps the xbow archers shooting on the same timing as the other archers and moving their butts in sync with them. The only concession is that we always have xbow archers shoot the first line so they can take the minute a bolt they are entitled to)

Apparently, the WCSA realized that all the general target bows used the 17 or 18 shaft but the PB could use a much fatter shaft and some top custom makers like Robin Allen were or could design bows that could be set up purely for indoors using (the FITA standard is 23/64) up to a 2613 shaft. A limit of 21 was picked apparently because bows using commercial hunting tracks (like the PB) can use it. WCSA has a sport division-mainly for outdoor using heavy hunting bows, and you are allowed cocking straps (which are BANNED in formal "field" (outdoor target) xbow archery. I don't recall if the 21/64 limit applies on that

Jim
TNC and ACF Member
Highlander

Post by Highlander »

Jim,

This topic is not hunting related. I'm not saying I don't want to read it, I'm legitimately interested in it and I'm sure others are too. My problem is that I know squat about the target shooting and 3-D end of things. I'm wondering if we can't (and by we, I mean you and other knowledgeable target and 3-D shooters) start a new category like the crossbow hunting one related to crossbow shooting sports. Maybe, there, you might explain the basics of these sports, give advice, encourage participation and so forth. I know I'd read it....I'll read it here too for that matter, but I like things categorized and easy to find for future reference. Just a thought...
Jim C

Post by Jim C »

Highlander wrote:Jim,

This topic is not hunting related. I'm not saying I don't want to read it, I'm legitimately interested in it and I'm sure others are too. My problem is that I know squat about the target shooting and 3-D end of things. I'm wondering if we can't (and by we, I mean you and other knowledgeable target and 3-D shooters) start a new category like the crossbow hunting one related to crossbow shooting sports. Maybe, there, you might explain the basics of these sports, give advice, encourage participation and so forth. I know I'd read it....I'll read it here too for that matter, but I like things categorized and easy to find for future reference. Just a thought...
cool with me-this board has had all sorts of crossbow related things on it including some 3D topics in the past. I think its Excalibur's call where this stuff goes and since no one has ever made such a suggestion in the past, nothing was ever done to have a separate section-nor have the mods ever told me or Wayne (BJ-world IBO champ a couple years back) that this stuff is out of line here I continued to post it
TNC and ACF Member
Highlander

Post by Highlander »

Hey Jim,

I'm just thinking that if we had it all under one roof (category) those of us who were interested could find it easier and go back to old posts when needed. I'd certainly use it. I'm always looking to improve my accuracy and skill.
Jim C

Post by Jim C »

Highlander wrote:Hey Jim,

I'm just thinking that if we had it all under one roof (category) those of us who were interested could find it easier and go back to old posts when needed. I'd certainly use it. I'm always looking to improve my accuracy and skill.
that makes alot of sense to me. YO MODERATOR HINT HINT HINT :lol:
TNC and ACF Member
Highlander

Post by Highlander »

But since it isn't happening yet.....how do you practice Jim? What's real important to stepping it up to the next level?
GaryL

Post by GaryL »

This is fun all, but my target xbow works as well as a hunting xbow .... :D

http://www.excaliburcrossbow.com/phpBB2 ... c&start=60

My 8pt 11-22-06
Point Blanc
16" Lazer II
100gr SlickTricks
Mark Hager Custom Stock
Always learning!!
Home fer now!